1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AX5i and surround speaker settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by John7, Sep 15, 2004.

1. John7

Aug 6, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ive had surround amps for a number of years, (Denon 3802, Pio 2011, latest AX5i), all of which have received good reviews in the press. However, I have never been totally satisfied with the surround sound from any of these.

I have tried various rear channel speakers, and got an improvement with the Mordaunt Short Avant 903 bipoles (two either side of the listening position and two directly behind). Becuase of the layout of the room, the surround back pair are immediately behind the listening position. The rear channel pair are about 2 metres either side of the listening position. Full auto calibration of the amp was used to set the system and the amp seems to show the speaker distances correctly.

However, I was reading a thread on the Audioholics.com website that suggested that for speakers located close to the listening position, delay times should be set to 25-40 milliseconds. So I manually input the rear and surround back distances as 3 and 4 metres respectively - what a difference! The sound stage has now completely opened up and effects are much more effective and realistic.

This seems to go against all the stuff I`ve read in magazines, set-up guides etc that tell you to set the "actual" speaker distances.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone else had this experience or tried this? I would be intersted in other peoples feedback on this subject
  2. bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I have always setup using the 'rules' and then adjusted from there by ear. The new autoset amps are excellent they set a very good base to work from, but you still need to adjust for personal preference.