AX53 - best sub £1k 4k camcorder?

Count Vampirski

Established Member
Reaction score
web opinion seems that this model is preferred to the 100, due to the BOSS system; but are there any other brands or models sub £1k demonstrably superior?

Looking for an idiot proof camcorder that will automatically record stunning 4k footage mainly of landscape and architecture - no fast pan sport

Have there been any recent updates to picture memories to enhance the remote operation from the annoyingly basic stop/start and zoom?

Is the remote live image at full resolution - ie if viewed on a 4k monitor live is it as good as a played back recording of same material? - What distance can you operate camcorder from with this in mind?

Is it capable of the new HDR standard for showing on suitable new TV?

When youtube recordings from the 53 are viewed on my basic pc and poor web speed all pans are jumpy - is this down to my equipment or the camera frame rate or whatever? - ie can slow pans in 4K be made perfectly smoothly? -I intend buying a hi standard 2017 HDR tv to view material on

thx

i have just read that the BOSS shuts down for 4k, plse tell me this flaw has been addressed - also the remote view is not in 4k..

Sony AX53:-
The BOSS stabaliser is for HD-only 1920x1080 as I understand... so I'm puzzled why Sony think it's worth including on a 4K camcorder which then doesn't support it....Er? However, Sony was never much good at making things logical for their customers....
I get the impression that the designers are only "working at Sony" - rather than actually making films....
The BOSS system works very well on my CX410 (now discontinued in favour of a model with a VGA projector built-in ). . . and I understand most new camcorders in this price-range use your smart/mobile-phone in WiFi mode (DYOR), - so I don't expect it's full HD, let alone 4K..... it's there to frame the picture . . . not for a remote recording feature . . . this is a consumer price.

For HDR.....RTFM - it's a feature that needs a darkened room and I guess it's something most material just cannot achieve . . . since it implies a wider range of brightness information, which in turn means more data. 4K is bad enough in terms of Bandwidth, without adding HDR.
That said, some camcorders offer this by sending alternate frames which are darker/brighter so in theory you are covering the wider range . . . but I foresee issues with this as it falls into the category of a "fix" - and IMHO you don't need HDR, so why create extra work? It may also imply a new Video Editor to handle the range too.

I suspect, but can't know, . . . that you want a Blackmagic in a convenient consumer package, at a bargain price . . . but if you add the desire for shallow DoF ( far more "useful" IMHO than HDR.... then you need the AX100 which is about twice the price.
The other area where this price-point has a problem; is that the lens for 4K needs to be somewhat "better" that for HD - so the cost of having a super-zoom is impossible . . . hence these camcorders have relatively poor zoom-ranges.
However, in practical film-making a 10x Zoom is 95% perfectly OK, exp if it's really sharp over the range - It's only if you want to film wildlife in Africa, or nesting-birds in England, do you really need a substantial lens ( like 1000mm equiv.) and these for a decent-sized sensor are going to be the cost of a small car.

DSLR/Mirrorless appear to offer some advantages, until you reach "Battery-life" and the Zoom-range - For Stills, folks don't mind lens-swapping . . . but not for Video! Also, their Audio-record features are far from sufficient. They do (usually) offer shallow DoF...but you have to buy ND filters - as video can't use fast shutter speeds.

We all want the latest; with all the features, like double SDXC recording slots, built-in ND filters and good stabalisers . . . but sadly, these features are never in one unit at £500 price-point . . . let me know if you ever find one.... that's easy to carry!

Somewhere on this Forum, I read that the 4K format isn't exactly "fixed" ( Anyone? ) - so this may be another reason to wait a little longer . . . . but anyone buying a new camcorder should go for 4K, even if they only use HD - as the lens and bandwidth should be far better than the older HD-only models, at near-similar prices.

Good Luck . . . Let's know how things work out....

Last edited:
Harry. Have a look at the Sony X3000. It's an action cam but the spec might interest you.

Terfyn, that camcorder is Sony's answer to GoPro, but without the cachet, er IMHO. The GoPro "Look-a-likes" are far better "value" - - - it's a thought, Thanks.
+ Pana does a strange 4K ( in Orange ) also, but I need some different options to regular camcorders.
+ The Pana VX990 is attractive, but I'd really like a built-in ND filter for shallow DoF. This appears on their Pro camcorders, ( but not on consumer ), with Sony offering built-in ND ( Sony AX100 - DYOR ), maybe they might consider it?
However, my Video Editor is some years old and doesn't import/export 4K .....plus, I'm none too keen on the buy-out by Magix for good long-term support and v14 ( 64-bit), looks more like a Mid-Term update than something I need to Buy . . . and I'm hoping to get my 64-bit PC up/running to try out some of the more-advanced features elsewhere . . . although learning several layouts can be rather confusing, even if they are free. Cheers !

PS I can't show 4K, but "Taking + Editing" has the bonus of rejigging the framing in HD - while providing 4K stock-footage for "future Use" ( =Future-proofing ).

Last edited:
The point I was making was that the X3000 has a "wobbly" lens with a 4k camera.

I'm sorry Terfyn - you are so right . . . I did look for that model, but only found the earlier versions.
It's ONLY the X300 that offers BOSS at 4K ( DYOR) and provides something like a remote viewfinder although rather small ( Weight/power restrictions?). it can control the camcorder . . . but brief spec. doesn't say "how far" - min. 3metres would be nice.
Whilst it offers Wide, Medium and other frame sizes, I suspect if it's like GoPro, the sensor is being cropped - saving memory perhaps, but without the option of frame-repositioning if it started Wide 4K.
It just shows that 4K can benefit from that BOSS system. . . . but this may be restricted to smaller lenses . . . which is why the AX100 with its optical zoom can't use the BOSS in 4K-mode (DYOR) . . . sadly I may have bought ANOther before any Sony AX100 MkII is fitted with superior parts . . .I used to think it was processing-limits ( ie the sensing drive to the BOSS ), but now I'm thinking it's the power issue, when moving a larger piece of glass.).
However, it's a thought for those "Action" shots - esp. as it's a third of the AX100 price.
...Well spotted...
Makes one think, eh?

My understanding is BOSS works in 4K, just not the active intelligent stabilisation. Standard image stabilisation is good enough for most things , which is still 5 axis BOSS.

If you read Specification for AX53 under the features of BOSS there is a tiny "7" - try finding that footnote and eventually it tells you:
7 Not supported at XAVC S 4K
Unless this means something else .... I rest my case

For my own HD camcorder (CX410) BOSS works fine, and I don't understand why Sony thinks AX53's 4K can do without it . . . unless the micro-movement of the BOSS( reacting to a steady-state) could show on the screen..... but if BOSS notices no camera-movement, it could decrease the loop-gain so it would require a distinct movement to put it into action..... but I'm no electronics/optical designer . but having no BOSS would make me consider alternative purchases....esp as Sony isn't too keen to allow me to use the Remote kit I bought off them.
It's the lack of Customer-support that destroys a Brand more quickly than a price increase... as folks think Brand-loyalty is a one-way street.
On the Sony Website it also lists accessories . . . but leaves the bewildered customer to choose which fits that camcorder . . . why would anyone do that?
A table of part-Nos against camcorder-models would be easy enough; as the Sony Sales team won't be troubled by my orders. It should show earlier models too, so purchases for earlier camcorders should be compatible with new kit . . . even if some of the advanced features are not available.
You may remember that it was Nikon that had very few Lens-mount changes and even these supported the basic features . . . of course with "Digital" that was almost forgotten . . . or they have never convinced me . . . which is why I bought a Sony mirrorless stills camera.... which also supported HD movies.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom