• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

AX200 - a year worth of problems....

therealgiblet

Hi

Before I start - I'd just like to say that I don't personally blame anyone at Roy Jowett AV or Panasonic Projectors Servicing. To be honest they've been very helpful, and quick to action remedies.

Also I'd like to point out that:

- The machine is ceiling mounted (1ft from ceiling)
- I am non smoker
- I always power off the machine and let it cool completely before either turning it on again, or turning it off completely at the plug
- I clean the filter regularly
- My house is always kept relatively clean and certainly is not dusty
- The temperature of my living room is around 21C

I just want some advice as to my customer rights in this situation.

This is what's happened so far.

01/11-2007 - Purchased AX200 from Roy Jowett Av [Machine 1]
07/11/2007 - Wrote to vendor re: Focus problem (no uniform focus acheivable)
14/11/2007 - Vendor agrees replacement
16/11/2007 - Receive replacement AX200 [Machine 2]
20/01/2008 - Projector starts flickering
24/01/2008 - Vendor agrees to credit note or to replace projector
07/02/2008 - Receive replacement AX200 [Machine 3]
16/04/2008 - Machine starts flickering - returned to Panasonic
24/04/2008 - Machine returned [New bulb, firmware upgrade]
10/07/2008 - Machine starts flickering - returned to Panasonic
15/07/2008 - Machine returned [New bulb, firmware upgrade]
04/09/2008 - Machine starts flickering - returned to Panasonic
09/09/2008 - Machine returned [New Analysis block, new optical block, new lens]
06/10/2008 - Machine starts flickering
07/10/20089 - Starting to lose my hair

As you can see the machine has had many problems. I'm also coming up to a year of ownership and I don't want to find out after the next 'fix' that in 2 months time it's happened again and I'll be out of warranty and out of pocket.

What do I do?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

giblet

moses

Hi

Warranty for Projector is 2 years as per the link below on the Panasonic
web site.
I know someone else who had loads of problems and with the AX200 and Panasonic game him a refund.
I'm also on my second bulb change and optical block etc, just waiting for it to go wrong again as I am sure it will.

http://pjse.pmuk.co.uk/pjsesurv.nsf/warranty

therealgiblet

Ok - thanks.

I guess I can write a thread next year and have the title:

'AX200 - 2 years worth of problems....'

Do you think I could reasonably expect to get a refund?

Also, if I did what projector would I get instead? I like the gaming mode, as I'm online with my clan in GRAW2 a lot of the time. I need the lag free response time.

However, saying that, we're in the finals of a tournament and without my PJ I'm screwed. I'm going to have to use it tonight even with the flickering, as I've only got a 26" Sony CRT upstairs to use as a replacement... SD doesn't cut the mustard for me anymore.

D

dovercat

Not familiar with your projector, on my mitsubishi flickering is cured by switching lamp modes.

Flickering may be due to lamp arc jumping, if the projector is being used on a low lamp mode and has a high lamp mode, try switching to high lamp mode then after half hour or so switching back to low lamp mode.

therealgiblet

Thanks for your comment, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but don't you think Panasonic would have mentioned this to me if they thought that was the case, instead of replacing 2 - £200 bulbs, an analysis block, the optical block and the lens.

Anyway it's in normal mode. Never had it in eco. I tried to run the last one in eco solely and the fault still developed.

I want to know if I can get my money back, and if I did what would be an alternative projector for me to use. I'm not worried about films, I'm worried about screen lag when gaming.

YamahaClavinova

one would hope Panasonic would offer you a refund should you want one since based on the history of your pj(s) you can be pretty much sure once the guarantee is up, this will happen again

whiterabbit

Hi,

I got a refund from Panasonic after two cases of flickering. I was told that they needed more time to anaylse the fault. The flickering made it un watchable.

I dont do competitve gaming but decided to go for a cheap DLP PJ from Optoma. (Optoma HD75)

Got mine for £666 from avtoad. inc spare bulb and ceiling mount.

The panasonic pt-ae2000 also has a gaming mode but not sure if it has an flicker issues. It can be had from RJH for £1650 inc a free bd player.

Not sure if DLPs are better or worse for gaming. Maybe one of the experts on here can advise.

I was playing cod4 this weekend ( campaign mode ) looked very good. If you can tell me how to check for gaming lag ill try it tonight.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Wow,i thought my 3 trips for repair was a record,thankfully it's working like it should,i.e fantastic.

Albeit mine's the lowly AX100E but nontheless is throwing a cracking pic,also a flicker free one.

NICMAC

Hi

Before I start - I'd just like to say that I don't personally blame anyone at Roy Jowett AV or Panasonic Projectors Servicing. To be honest they've been very helpful, and quick to action remedies.

Also I'd like to point out that:

- The machine is ceiling mounted (1ft from ceiling)
- I am non smoker
- I always power off the machine and let it cool completely before either turning it on again, or turning it off completely at the plug
- I clean the filter regularly
- My house is always kept relatively clean and certainly is not dusty
- The temperature of my living room is around 21C

I just want some advice as to my customer rights in this situation.

This is what's happened so far.

01/11-2007 - Purchased AX200 from Roy Jowett Av [Machine 1]
07/11/2007 - Wrote to vendor re: Focus problem (no uniform focus acheivable)
14/11/2007 - Vendor agrees replacement
16/11/2007 - Receive replacement AX200 [Machine 2]
20/01/2008 - Projector starts flickering
24/01/2008 - Vendor agrees to credit note or to replace projector
07/02/2008 - Receive replacement AX200 [Machine 3]
16/04/2008 - Machine starts flickering - returned to Panasonic
24/04/2008 - Machine returned [New bulb, firmware upgrade]
10/07/2008 - Machine starts flickering - returned to Panasonic
15/07/2008 - Machine returned [New bulb, firmware upgrade]
04/09/2008 - Machine starts flickering - returned to Panasonic
09/09/2008 - Machine returned [New Analysis block, new optical block, new lens]
06/10/2008 - Machine starts flickering
07/10/20089 - Starting to lose my hair

As you can see the machine has had many problems. I'm also coming up to a year of ownership and I don't want to find out after the next 'fix' that in 2 months time it's happened again and I'll be out of warranty and out of pocket.

What do I do?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

giblet

I know how you feel, I was in exactly the same position with my AX100 and after 3 trips back to the shop with different problems I demanded a refund, I too was coming towards the end of my warranty and even though the picture was great when it was working it wasn't worth the hassle involved in sending it back all the time.
I too think that the repair service was good but when you realise Panasonic are distributing these projectors with known faults it kind of changes your mind about how good Panasonic might be, I certainly wasn't prepaired to take the risk of my unit going faulty again after the warranty ran out.
The experience certainly dented my faith in Panasonic, by the way i now have a Sanyo Z5 which I wish i had bought in the first place.........

therealgiblet

"I was playing cod4 this weekend ( campaign mode ) looked very good. If you can tell me how to check for gaming lag ill try it tonight."

Look here for a way to test your PJ's screen lag. It isn't the most scientific method, but gives some interesting results from different projectors.

'Updating the first post with my thoughts, but quickly here:

* I thought it was surprising that the Epson (1080) seemed as good in normal mode as the Panasonic performed in game mode.
* The two Panasonics clearly had the most image lag of the four projectors I've tested so far. (AE200, AE2000, TW2000 and Sanyo Z3)'

It actually seems as though the Panasonic gaming mode isn't all that amazing afterall, and I understand that the test is very limited in its scope.

Hopefully this will be something people will spend more time perfecting and we might get some very useful results in the future.

I think I'll try and get a refund and get another PJ. Not sure which though.

Also - do I need to get Panasonic to refund me or Roy Jowett AV?

PS We lost our 1/4 final game last night.... can't blame the projector, although I'd like to ;P

Last edited:

whiterabbit

Oks, I will give that go tonight.

sorry u lost the quarters. blame the PJ - it wil make u feel better, and you will have another excuse to get rid of it.

Panasonic sent me a cheque. Took about a week to come through once they agreed it. They only asked for the receipt, so i scanned it and emailed it to their customer service department.

They were very plesant about the whole thing. Only issue was it took several weeks of me chasing them to come and collect the PJ in the first place.

whiterabbit

Hi,

ok did a lag test. Forgot to bring the camera phone to work with me so cant share th pics...

The lag is between 0.05 and 0.1 sec on the hd75.

Not sure what the lag is on other projectors...never measured it on the ax200 i had previously.

hope that helps.

scrufftyguy

Can someone please explain the flicker? My projector's brightness "flickers" which is most noticeable when film credits come up at the end. It only does it a couple of times, as I say usually only at the end of films. Is this the beginning of the flicker?
I'm sending my projector for a firmware update on friday, i'm now in two minds as to whether I should mention this because I don't want them to replace the optical block etc with one that might be even worse! :confused:

whiterabbit

Flicker is different to dynamic Iris and its very noticeable.

I noticed mine most when using with the pc. white background. the image would get brighter and then dimmer with a static image being displayed. it would repeat this constantly. it wold happen with all sources but is more noticeable on pc.

This is with dynamic iris off.

Also on thing me and a friend noticed is that it seems to happen after about 3-400 hrs

therealgiblet

thanks whiterabbit - compare that to someone who's got a <5ms (0.005 secs) response on a monitor and you can see why it matters when you're gaming... not a lot, but it's enough to get shot before you can get a bullet off.

As for the flicker scrufftyguy, it goes light and dark rapidly. It is not the same type of (flicker) image adjustment that you get from the dynamic iris. It's much more pronounced.

I would mention it. Just to be sure. And as with whiterabbit, mine also happens around the 400 hour mark without fail.

scrufftyguy

Thanks for the replies!

I'll let them know about it, but it certainly doesn't sound anything like as bad as the flicker that others are suffering. Only on 200 hrs, so maybe the flicker is yet to come! :rolleyes:

D

dannyboy08

when you get the flicker you will notice it! I'm on service number 2. New bulb at 180 hours. Hopefully they have solved it now. It's such a decent PJ it's a shame in the back of your mind you are always wondering what is next to go wrong. Panasonic must want to fix it cos it must be costing them a bomb in bulb replacements etc... To their credit their after sales service is awsome. Would I buy another Panasonic? Definitely. With technology after sales is the key. Technology fails you don't want the manufacturer to fail you also.

M

MattCamp

Hi,

My PT-AX200E has also started flickering :(

I purchased it originally from Ask Direct, and it has about 5 days left on their 1-year warranty...

My question to you guys - am I better taking it back to Ask, or dealing directly with Panasonic?

Is there a number to call Panasonic on about this? I saw mention in another thread (which I can't find now) that Panasonic's europe service dept was better than the UK one....

IAN P

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the heads up Matt.If that is true what you say,then i will never buy a Panasonic product again.

Why are they sending them to Belgium for christ sake?After all these months of sending them to Wales.

Aren't the guy's in Wales upto the job,or are they ****** off with all the returns they've had?

M

MattCamp

From what the guy in Wales said, they may still send them there for actual repair, but you at least have to log the call with the Belgian call-centre first... They're the only people who can actually send out DHL to collect it.

The lady in the call-centre wasn't at all surprised when I explained the flickering problem.

IAN P

Distinguished Member
That makes sense,not.

So,phone Panasonic Belgium,they arrange with DHL to pick your stuff up and deliver it to Wales.

Complete madness i tell ya'.:D

scrufftyguy

Hi,

My PT-AX200E has also started flickering :(

I purchased it originally from Ask Direct, and it has about 5 days left on their 1-year warranty...

My question to you guys - am I better taking it back to Ask, or dealing directly with Panasonic?

Is there a number to call Panasonic on about this? I saw mention in another thread (which I can't find now) that Panasonic's europe service dept was better than the UK one....

Hi Matt,

For your info the Panasonic projector comes with a 2 year warranty! Just got mine back from Wales today, after it was picked up last Friday. It's had the firmware updated and I've been recommended not to use the eco mode, but I don't think I had the true "flicker"! Not had time to try it out yet though.

Sn0w

hello all.. i also have a pt-ax200e. bulb run time has come up to aprox 300 hours and the dreaded picture flicker has reared its ugly head :(

the problem is i baught this projector off ebay.. it is only 6 months old though

will the panasonic warranty still be on the projector regardless of who owns it? like a car's manufactures warranty, or say an x box 360? or am i screwed?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom