ax100e black levels and noise

aibo82

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is it normal for black levels of the ax100e to be a dark shade of grey they aint true black? its a fantastic picture but blacks a bit off I aint calibrated any settings though yet any recomendations?

Also is the buzzing noise switching from normal to cinema 1 to 2 normal from the projector? iris changing? it like make a mechanic buzzin sound like a vibrator on a mobile phone kinda sound then the picture goes darker?

Maybe im just fusy but its my first projector want to make such I gota good one and wunt know if a fault was starein me in the face :) have to say though its bloddy bright!!!

Carl

Setting the black level correctly using a test disk may lower the black levels to a more acceptable level. See the calibration sticky at the top of the forum for more info.

Gary

If your black level isnt great then it might be your room that is affecting it, light coloured rooms reflect light from the walls back onto the screen, a black room would not reflect and you would only see the screen and not the room, thus no light is being spilled for maximum black level.

I have had the same concerns thanks for posting threads. still not happy with the picture(lots of noise). Am still learning the manual.

Paul

Hi Paul,

A noisy image can quite often be down to having the black level (brightness control) too high. The THX Optimode on Star Wars A New Hope will help you set it correctly. Sometimes the wrong gamma can have a similar effect as can an overly bright image (screen size too small).

Gary.

brightness should be around the -10>-6 mark and contrast around +4>+6 with the ax100. will be slightly different between differnt equipment but it seems to work out in the ball park figures above.

dropping to the cinema1 mode also gives the better black and check the gamma etc. make sure the light harmoniser is off and that the DI is on. dropping to eco mode also lowers the black level if you suffer some room reflection issues, but some may experience flicker

also if possible make sure other equipment is outputting 0ire and proper video levels.

Had a play with projector today ( Wife at work)and picture is improving thanks for th tips.
Still concerned about auto iris for the first hour of use the auto iris can be heard clunking away like a steper motor.
it is much louder than the fan and very distracting.
No differnce with the aut iris off is it working?
Question - where is the auto iris? can it be viewed through the lens?

Paul

Some auto irises work better than others, and it's all down to the implementation. If the iris is just after tha lamp and before the optics, then you may not be able to see it throught the lens, but if you do try, be careful as the lamp is quite bright.

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom