AX-1 owners

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by General Murmur, Jun 13, 2001.

1. General Murmur

General Murmur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiosity, what is your volume level set at for DVD viewing ?. I seem to be always around the -32.5 to -30dB mark, and now that I've added a couple of power amps and de-selected the onboarb main front option, I have only gained a small increase in overall volume.

I know there is plenty of oomph in reserve, but why do you have to wind the dial all the way up for decent listening levels ?

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Common problem (not only related to the AX1):

Soundtracks feature a wide dynamic range and hence the amplifier needs to "be lifted" to a certain level so you can hear the sounds from very quiet to very loud (explosions e.g.).
    This is perfectly normal.

The Dynamic Range should be set to MAX (surely the AX1 has that option) for reproducing the soundtrack as intended / on the DVD.
    You may decrease it to STD or MIN (sometimes also called night-mode) though this is only advisable for staying friend with your neighbours as it will alter the reproduction of the sound levels.

Anyhow, a power amp will not neccessarily be louder unless the gain is significantly higher than the gain of the internal amp stages, it will therefore just offer better dynamics (more "headroom") and perhaps a different sound.

If you want it louder just increase the volume.
    Works for me and my neighbours have moved out already ... ;)

[ 14-06-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]