1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Room - Speaker ideas please?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rowlandhills, Aug 6, 2005.

1. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've just agreed to buy a small converted barn, but unfortunately the shape of the sitting room is really awkward from a home cinema perspective. I've attached a diagram of the room layout below, which is pretty much to scale (the room is about 5m wide).

At the moment (in my current rectangular sitting room) I've got a pair of floorstanding Linn Keilidhs, a Linn Centrik and a pair of Linn Kans (no sub), all connected up to a Linn Classik Movie Di, and it sounds fantastic on both music and movies. In case you hadn't guessed, I like the Linn sound :D

I can't see any way to keep the current setup in the new house because of the layout :( , so I was wondering about getting a Yamaha YSP-1 for the surround purposes (with an appropriate sub) and then using a separate system completely for stereo purposes, driving my Keilidhs, possibly in a separate room.

Does this sound like a good idea? Can anyone recommend any alternatives? :confused:

I'm hoping to go and demo a YSP-1 soon, to see what it really sounds like, but is there anything else which I should try at the same time?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Yamaha is unlikely to work effectively in your room as there is no wall to the right of your plasma to bounce the sound off. It works fine in perfectly proportioned rooms, but is not a replacement for doing it the hard way! If you swap the sofa and the plasma around, does that work? If so you will have more space to play with. I had a similar issue, and having had Ruarks Sabres, Ruark Talismans, Linn Kelidhs and Roksan Ojans (they were a good looking speaker - ;) ) M&K (similarly beautiful ;) ) I have ended up with Artcoustic on the wall with my plasma. Love it! Looks great, sounds great ! Very happy, though alot more money than the Yamaha, and more than I wanted to spend, but hey, that happened when I bought my car too!

3. oconnpad

oconnpad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What about switching sofa and plasma.

Put the speakers where i've the blue circles maybe? obviously you might be able to wall mount depending on your gear, and ot have them out as far as i have in the diagram but you get my drift.

Attached Files:

4. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Trouble is, we've already got a sofa, which my wife loves, (and which cost more than the plasma and speakers together will!) but it's almost 2.5m long, which means that it would stick out into the room hugely, and look really weird...

I don't think artcoustic make anything which is quite thin enough to be able to fit the wall where I want the plasma, unless I go for a 27inch LCD, which would kind of lose the point :(

Thanks for the ideas though, keep 'em coming guys!

I've actually just come back from demoing the YSP-1 and it was a lot better than I expected. I can't imagine that it was set up perfectly (they only had 15 minutes before I got there and it was my local Sevenoaks) but it really did seem to give a good front soundstage. Felt like it was almost 20 feet wide, and very evenly spread. Surround effects were pretty dodgy though, and I found the music performance a bit lacklustre. In particular, there seemed to be a "hole" between the bottom of what the YSP-1 provided and the top of the sub range. Maybe a bit more fiddling with the setup menu, and a different sub would work better?

5. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Can it be possible to put the TV/screen is the midlle of one of the left or rigt windows?

Then the 4 speakers in each corner of the "Virtual" rectangle.

Better sound and cosy room too...! A sofa in the middle and another or a pair of chairs next to the lower wall.

6. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I might be able to do that if I can move the radiator which is under the window, but I don't think I'll be able to do that any time soon.

Would probably work well though...

7. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Leave the radiator off... or try the other window ;) Look at Lowrider (member) setup... :thumbsup:

8. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  9. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Interesting. Looks like a nice setup that Lowrider's got there.

I think I'll have to get "planning permission" from my wife for that, but it's got to be an option.

Thanks.

10. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Beside sounding better, it does a very comfy room... :thumbsup: I tried it in my ex-girlfriend's house, the room was a bit similar to yours.

11. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    And the other way around? Screen on the right side window?

12. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be way off with this one but here goes :rolleyes: ...Have you got the plasma already and if not have you considered a projector? Decent size room, sreen could come down in front of a window and then the seating is a little more flexible. Get a smaller LCD for daytime tv watching then get the serious kit out for films. I was looking at a 50" plasma but went for a PJ after seeing it in action - nothing comes close for films.

13. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hmmm...hadn't thought of that one. I haven't yet bought the plasma, so maybe the answer is to wait until I move in then play around a bit more with some ideas. Might be better able to hide the pj and screen too.

14. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon move in and see what you got. If you can shift the sofa to the right of the diagram and the PJ to the left could be good. We sit 4.5m from the screen so even a 50" plasma was too small IMHO. PJ and screen needn't cost more than a plasma either.

Either way I would not go for the Yamaha sound processor. I pressume that as you are in a barn, the ceilings are high? If so I think you would loose a lot of the sound that would have been produced in that nicely shaped demo room (that you'd struggle to swing a moderately sized cat in). Whatever happens it's nice to plan what you might get :)

15. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    To be honest, I always was planning to move in and see how it all worked when I got there, but as you say, it's fun planning things beforehand! :)

Thanks for the ideas guys. I might move in and then take a few photos to show you what I've got to work with.

16. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    She didn't like it, then...? :rolleyes:

17. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Costco were flogging the YSP-1 for about £550 including VAT a couple of months ago. I bought one, but returned it (thank heavens for their refund policy!). A bit of background for you...

At home, my setup comprised a 5 year old Marantz receiver that cost £300 from Richer Sounds, a pair of B+W 602 s2's at the front, an ancient pair of Cannon things as surrounds and a 10 year old, low budget Celstion centre speaker. A total mess as far as matching goes. I was looking for something that sounded good and looked good. I figured that spending £550 on an 'all in one' solution that meant no wires around and no speakers dotted around the room to offend the lady of the house was money well spent.

Our living room is a perfect rectangle, 23' long by 13' wide. The ceilings are about 7 ' 6''. A perfect shape for the Yamaha.

I tried to like it, I really did. The front soundstage was pretty amazing; really wide and fluid. The problem was indeed the surrounds.

Setup was weird. Although you are steering the beam to bounce off your walls (and / or ceiling or floor!), the sound still has to pass your head on its way to the back wall before bouncing back and coming at you from behind. You could JUST about reach a sweet spot in our room where the sound you heard from the back of the room equalled that at the front. But only just. Therefore, any surround effect we ever heard also had an element that came from in front of us. If that makes sense? And this was in a perfectly shaped room with nothing interupting the sound beams. No matter how I set the thing up to bounce the beams, you never really felt as if the sound was beside / behind you. You got a general sense of ambience, but none of the accurately steered effects that you can get by having physical speakers beside you / slightly behind your position.

I really didn't care for its reproduction of music. I would have had to keep the B+W's up front for that kind of work. Which sort of defeats the object.

In short, I prefered my badly matched and ageing setup. If it disappointed me in comparison to what I had, imagine what it could do for you :D

After returning the Yamaha to Costco on the grounds that it absolutely did not do what it said on the tin, I upgraded the speakers to 5 that actually match, and the rest of the system (amp and subwoofer) are getting upgraded as we speak.

Just my .02 cents :)

Gary

18. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Gary,

Thanks for those comments. Its really useful to have some feedback from someone who's got/had one.

I think the ideal option is going to be to see if I can get one from somewhere with a decent returns policy and experiment. I always planned to keep a separate stereo system, as I can fit in two speakers, it's just the location of 5 in a sensible layout which causes problems. I certainly wouldn't be happy with just the YSP-1 for music!

Out of interest, when you give your room dimensions, were you sitting opposite the plasma on the "long" or "wide" side? ie. was the distance to from sofa to YSP-1 23 foot or 13 foot?

19. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    It couldn't be that way, she liked it but it was doors and not windows, and not large enough to go out of the house.

:devil:

20. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Our couch is about 13 - 14 foot back from one of the narrow walls, so the beams for the surrounds have to travel 22 feet or so to the back wall and then come back 10 feet to our listening position. So the TV is on one of the narrow walls.

When you consider that I wasn't impressed and have ample space behind / beside the couch, I think that matters would only get worse if the space behind you is less forgiving.

The advanced setup menu is essential (IMO) to getting the best sound out of it. The standard settings just didn't cut the mustard at all. The advanced settings are rather good fun and allow you to bounce the beams pretty much anywhere you like. They improved matters a great deal, but still did not impress enough to justify its pricetag IMO.

Gary