1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

awful picture

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by paulgasman, Aug 26, 2005.

1. paulgasman

paulgasman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post so i will thank you in advance for any advice!

Right then , this is my problem . I purchased a Hitachi 42pma400e nearly 2 years ago . I could not install it myself so i got a number of a "professionall" from the shop.
    Anyway , it was all done and dusted but the picture is certainly not what you would expect from a £2500 plasma . The chap put a switching box in and wired it up so i would not no where to start. A have a JVC surround sound home cinema that infuriates me. After an hour or so it gets hot and this fan comes on for about 2 mins and makes such a racket you have to turn volume up !
    But my real woe is the picture quality. I have NTL and live in a private block of flats and cannot have a Sky dish. Now , when i am watching Sky sports and the camera pans left to right it blurs really badly. My installer says to me that the gases in the plasma cannot keep up with the signal. Worse than this is when you maybe see a person in close up and you get "rings" of different colours around there cheeks or forehead . Looks a bit like the colours of a rainbow.
    I want to buy another HD ready plasma , Xbox 360 , and HD dvd/home cinema which i would think is going to cost me about £5000 . Obviously i do not want to spend this sort of money and find i am still getting the same probs. Wondered if one of these upscalers/enhancers would do the trick ,
    I dont even know if ntl are going HD this decade!
    Any advice greatly appreciated ,
    thanks , Paul

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    Are you sure you cant get Sky, there are some pretty strong dishes that are really small and are designed for caravans etc., could you not fit one of them?

Also what are your picture settings?

Can you see how it is hooked up? what cables has he used?

There are loads of people with different kit on here, where are you located? I am sure they wouldn't mind giving you a demo. But lets try and get the one you have looking better first before rushing into things. :)

3. gaia

gaia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 42pma400e, using s-video for sky i get a reasonable picture and only have a small problem with football ( anyone want to send me there settings to try and get this better ). With my dvd running though component i get a crap picture using interlace but when switched to progressive scan its amazing :eek: , Same with my xbox and game cube + you can make your xbox run compatible games in high def which will make your eyes pop out. You need to import game cube games from the usa and use freeloader to get pro scan but if the game supports it you can get pal xbox games to run in pro scan and high def, have a look at the link http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28489&page=9&pp=30

have a look if it is using composite, if you are that will be your problem.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sounds like a connection problem to me. The PMA400 ain't my favourite panel, but it's not as bad as all that. Is this NTL analogue or digital? If it's analogue, how is it being tuned? What cable goes from NTL digital to the plasma if it's digital? The best connection for a Hitachi of this vintage is RGB and sync, ie scart to 4 BNC. If you haven't got this, it could be where to start looking.