• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Awful movies containing fantastic individual performances

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
I am looking for some examples of movies that whilst considered to be junk, contained a fantastic individual performance by an actor/actress. Slightly strange request I know :) I apologise if this has been done, I did not find anything when searching.

darryl3972

Established Member
Any Jim carey Movie, Normally cack but Carey is a Genius and makes the film (Imagine Ace ventura without him):eek:

Darryl

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Any Jim carey Movie, Normally cack but Carey is a Genius and makes the film (Imagine Ace ventura without him):eek:

Darryl

Yes this is the kind of example I am looking for, Actors who just make the film and can keep you watching whilst a dire plot unravels around them.

xit2050

Prominent Member
Megan Fox is the only reason Transformers is any good :devil:

If you're talking about the first one, I would put it otherwise: the movie is good despite Megan Fox being in it.

:D

Shaun666

Prominent Member
Many people seem to think Alien Resurrection is rubbish (although I'm not one of them) but I think Sigourney Weaver gives her best performance in it.

Hugh

Distinguished Member
The Prophecy.

Not a bad film, but nothing special either.

Except for Christopher Walken as The Angel Gabriel. Fantastic performance that makes the movie worth viewing. :thumbsup:

But then, I guess that could be said of most things Christopher Walken appears in. Rarely the big name, but always a great performance.

Andrew Divoff Wishmaster 1/2

Jack Black nacho Libre

Vin Diesel Most Films

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Batman The Black Knight - Awful film but Heath Ledger was very good as the Joker.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
I Am Legend - I thought the dog stole every scene it was in.

SlinkDaddy

Prominent Member

Darryl

I watched Dumb and Dumber last night that i'd had on the planner for a while and thought exactly the above. Whilst I still laughed in places I was amazed at how good his acting performance was in what is really a pretty stupid film, albeit intentionally stupid. There is a scene not far from the start where he is truely awesome, it's the bit where he tells Jeff Daniels' character that he is tired of being a nobody and not having somebody. He really should do more serious films cos he could easily do a Tom Hanks and really change his career path if he wanted to with the right role.

He is really good in Man In The Moon as well, although I liked the film so I wouldn't say it fits the OPs question.

Last edited:
I watched Dumb and Dumber last night that i'd had on the planner for a while and thought exactly the above. Whilst I still laughed in places I was amazed at how good his acting performance was in what is really a pretty stupid film, albeit intentionally stupid. There is a scene not far from the start where he is truely awesome, it's the bit where he tells Jeff Daniels' character that he is tired of being a nobody and not having somebody. He really should do more serious films cos he could easily do a Tom Hanks and really change his career path if he wanted to with the right role.

He is really good in Man In The Moon as well, although I liked the film so I wouldn't say it fits the OPs question.

Eternal Sunshine, The Truman Show, and The Majestic are really well acted. He shouldn't change what he does, but he should do a lot more of the serious stuff...apart from Numbers which is totally crap. I think that Man In The Moon is the winner of the whole topic.

Last edited:

Battle

Distinguished Member
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Alan Rickman stole every scene he was in and the rest was just dire twaddle.

SlinkDaddy

Prominent Member
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves

Alan Rickman stole every scene he was in and the rest was just dire twaddle.

He was good in it but when you watch it back now he seems a little over the top IMO. I thought Morgan Freeman was good in it as well.

SlinkDaddy

Prominent Member
Bill the Butcher in Gangs of NewYork by Daniel Day Lewis. Great performance in a crap film.

I'd say the same for him in There Will Be Blood as well. I have to say the film probably went over my head but he was outstanding in what I thought was a dire film in which nothing really happened.

PS I didn't mind Gangs Of New York:suicide:.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
LOL please put down the crack pipe, you've clearly had enough! :eek:

IMO it was an awful mess of a film but there is no denying that Heath Ledgers performance was first class.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom