awful freeview signal

daleslion

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. I have just moved into a new house and have found the freeview signal is terrible. I have checked online and I should receive all of the channels even though I live in a rural area. Having looked in the loft I have found a SLX8B bypass plugged in to a socket with 6 other leads coming out of it. In the side there are 2 cables plugged in 1 UHF and 1 FM, which I assume come from the outside aerial ( I am a complete novice ). Where the other 6 cables go to I have no idea as they disappear under insulation and boarding. I have tried the tv in 4 different rooms now that have a aerial socket and none of them work. I am completely at a loss. Please help.

The SLX8B requires a 230V mains supply to work. Strangely the specification sheet shows no indication where this is on the unit. There is a small light that should be illuminated. Check this out with what you can see and make sure the unit is powered and switched on.
https://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/pdf_data/SLX6B.pdf
It's quite unusual for this type of device to require a power supply in the loft. A customer Careline number is given for advice.

Last edited:
Have you moved from an area served by a transmitter to an area served by a different transmitter and possibly your TVs require retuning...you haven't stated if you've tried retuning any of them?

Hi,
Yes the unit is powered as it has a green light on. I have tried re tuning my old tv and I have just purchased a brand new tv for one of the bedrooms and neither get a decent picture.

Hi,
Yes the unit is powered as it has a green light on. I have tried re tuning my old tv and I have just purchased a brand new tv for one of the bedrooms and neither get a decent picture.

Directly connect the aerial input to the amp to one of the outputs. If this works the amp is faulty. You may be able to replace the amp with a simple passive splitter.

Another thing to check would be the possibility that the system originally included a Sky box, with the cable from the outside aerial connected to Sky box RF-in, & a cable from RF2 running to the amplifier UHF input. The cable from the outside aerial might now be lying disconnected where the Sky box was.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom