• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

awful backgrounds on google.co.uk

Icm76

bring back the plain white! anyone else irritated by the backgrounds that google started using on the UK homepage? They're terrible, I just had one come up that made all the links totally unreadable and it made my eyes hurt.

Is there a contact email or web-form for feedback and complaints? I hope this isn't just a cynical ploy to get people to sign up for a google account

EDIT: It seems the status quo will be resumed tomorrow: http://www.sevensidedcube.net/technology/2010/google-background-googles-new-homepage-feature (thanks to pure_geordie for the link)

Last edited:

Iccz

Distinguished Member
I use iGoogle and I don't get any of the Google logos or backgrounds so often wonder what people are talking about when things like this happen.
There are add-ons for browsers that can help you keep site styles how you like them, Stylish is one that works in Firefox and has a collection of Google styles already set up that you can apply to the Google site.

benhaha85

I use firefox so I tend to use the search box at the top of the browser, no need to go to the homepage. You're right though, it's a bit of an eyesore.

The most annoying thing is that our company uses gmail and other stuff but because we have a company address rather than a gmail one we can't customise any of the google pages.

Icm76

How many people still visit google.com? I do all my searching with the google toolbar.
I use the .co.uk page very frequently, and the shortcuts from there to go to: shopping, translation tools and google.com. I have the searchbar on firefox, and the UK .co.uk search add-on, but I rarely use it - somehow I just find it quickest to open a new tab with google

nheather

Distinguished Member
Am I missing something - when I visit google.co.uk (NOW) it is plain white, and I don't recall it being anything else.

Cheers,

Nigel

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Google.co.uk is my homepage - because of iGoogle, it has everything I want/need in front of me when I fire up my browser.

Same here, have done for few years now. Simples.

Icm76

which browser do you you use Nigel? I'm using Firefox from Fedora Linux, this morning is the first time I've seen something other than the plain white, and there is a message/link that says "Curious about today's homepage? Add your own background image now" and bottom left "Change background image" and both take you to the igoogle sign up page :thumbsdow I'm not signing up, google can **** off and I'll start using bing or something else instead.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I was just about to post this as well. It's awful having those backgrounds, so off-putting.

Iccz

Distinguished Member
Why would you use Bing? It's awful...
It might look a little better than Google when it's having a bad day but surely the results are what you use it for?

nheather

Distinguished Member
At work - IE 6 :rolleyes: (defence company)

At home - IE 8, and firefox (kept upto date).

All on windows XP or 7.

We are talking about plain old google.co.uk, not the igoogle that you can customise?

Cheers,

Nigel

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'm trying to find an email address for Google in their contact us page but can't see one. Anyone have one?

HMHB

Distinguished Member
At work - IE 6 :rolleyes: (defence company)

At home - IE 8, and firefox (kept upto date).

All on windows XP or 7.

We are talking about plain old google.co.uk, not the igoogle that you can customise?

Cheers,

Nigel

Plain google.co.uk on 3 different computers running XP.
It does it on Firefox and IE8.
google.com doesn't do it though.

nheather

Distinguished Member
When I visit google.co.uk I see this

44930-albums898-picture5301.jpg

Note the link I have outlined in red. Are you sure you haven't setup a background image unknowingly.

Cheers,

Nigel

benhaha85

Note the link I have outlined in red. Are you sure you haven't setup a background image unknowingly.

Cheers,

Nigel

How are you getting to google? If you go through google toolbar/search box it won't give you the funny images. You have to type it into your address box.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Don't understand how we can have different 'googles'.

I used to laugh at my dad (who struggles with IT) who when using my computer used to say "your internet is different from my internet".

But perhaps he was right all along.

How are you getting to google? If you go through google toolbar/search box it won't give you the funny images. You have to type it into your address box.

By typing www.google.co.uk in the address box.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom