1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awful 2-Channel sound of of a Denon 2910 (CD's)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by equinoxdreaming, Nov 24, 2004.

1. equinoxdreaming

equinoxdreaming

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have recently bought the new Denon 2910 DVD player. I have it hooked up to the new Yamaha 1500 receiver. However, I am very disappointed in the sound quality when playing normal CD's. It sounds very thin, tinny and muffled (even my mono AM radio sounds better in the bathroom!). When I hook my computer up to the receiver it sounds so full of life and energy. Is there something am I doing wrong? I only have 2 speakers set up on the receiver so far (buying the full surround in the next few weeks!) - but why would the music out of a cheap computer sound far superior to that of a £600 DVD player? I have both the sources connected to digital co-ax and have gone through all the setting in the auido setup. I am very impressed with the picture quality when playing DVD's though, this is exceptional. Is the best solution to buy a stand-alone CD player and amplifier to get the best results when playing 2-channel music - or is there something obvious I am doing wrong?? What is the best outputs I should use for 2-channel on the DVD (I have tried the analogue phono also!). It can't be the receiver as other sources sound brilliant - is it that CD's aren't meant to sound good on the Denon 2910? I know it should sound better than what I am hearing.

PLEASE HELP (before I have to send it back!!)

Kind regards, Phil

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The DVD player does have analog outputs for 2 channel sound. Try hooking up good quality phonos from this output to your amps 2 channel CD input. It should give you good sound. Its possible that the coaxial is best suited for DVDs and not CD sound.
    I have a 3910 and have experienced nothing but good sound!

3. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I think you're right. For 2 channel stereo (red-book CDs) the DVD player should be connected via the analogue outputs so that the dedicated DACs can be utilised.

4. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    He does actually say that he has tried the analogue outputs, so it can't be that..

"(I have tried the analogue phono also!). "

I would be tempted to let it bed in a little, these things can change quite dramatically.

You could always try another one just incase your's has a fault?

Cheers

5. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might be your player. I bought a 2910 last week, and have been amazed with everything it does, inc CD playback. Plenty of bass and an high quality soundfield.

I have mine connected to an AVC-A11SR. Dunno if Denon tune their DVD players to their amps or not.

6. equinoxdreams

equinoxdreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's going back to the shop after all - maybe it was the DVD player - it sounded average on multi-channel playback too. Through 5.1, digital co-ax and analogue stereo, it was dull, muffled and life less. My creative labs coputer audio card going through the digital inout to my Yamaha sounded 100 times better, so that got me thinking about why I needed the Denon in the first place!

7. icehockeyboy

icehockeyboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Surely the rule of thumb of using a dedicated CD player should be used here? I currently have the Tosh rdxs30? hdd/dvd recorder, a pioneer 575( cos the tosh aint multiregion)and a Marantz cd 6000 ose/le for cd duties, and would never expect thedvd players to sound as good as a dedicated cdp.....even a cheaper one.