1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awesome Picture on Toshiba 40WH08B

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by raigraphixs, Feb 13, 2002.

1. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,676
    Hi,

I just want to thank many people on this forum for helping me in the past.

I just wanted to say some good things, as there is to many problems all the time on the forums!.

The other day i rewatched 'Bugs Life' R1 on my Toshiba 40WH08B, which i have had for a few months.

I used a tosh 2109B player with s-video for now. It has the most amazing picture, especially for Bugs Life (which is well decent in the picture stakes).

The film really looked amazing on the rear project set, and really is a selling point to shift more rp sets. Only wish shops had better ideai what these tvs are capable off when selling them with really poor instore pictures.

Anyway the colours, the detail is amazing, i watch the fullframe version, as i prefer it to fill the screen. And every frame looked beautiful, and I would like to thank the creators of this film, as they did such a fantastic job with it, for the lighting, the colours, camera angles and acting. What i am saying is that the Toshiba 40WH08B really made the whole film alive.

So those who are still thinking about rear projection (tosh), like i was originally with all my tedious questions, go out there and BUY ONE!!!!!!!.

thanks

rai

I know bugs life and toy story 2 are all pure digital, but non-animated films look fantastic too!!, eg Fast and the furious, the mexican, many others, its the quailty of the picture on the discs. The tv can hold its own!!.

2. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take a look at the widescreen version of Shrek on that TV. Blows A Bugs Life and Toy Story out of the water in my opinion. Shrek is demo quality and is about the best DVD picture quality out there. :D

3. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,676
    Hi,

Yes i have shrek and toy story 2, and they are amazing. But Bugs is more colourful than shrek, and it was only because i have not seen it for a while,it looked bloody good.

rai

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    :confused:

Don't you mean the widescreen version.

'Full Frame' normally means 4:3 version (I think!), referring to full frame of the print and not the frame of the WS TV.

I can see how easily it is to get the two confused though.

5. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He means the re-freamed 4:3 side of the DVD as the widescreen side is in 2:35:1 and has the black bars on (which I happen to like) but even though pixar re-framed it (its not pan & scan) if you look at chapter 21 "hoppers hideout" you will see just how much picture you loose, in the widescreen version there are 2 grass hoppers playing darts in the 4:3 version there is only 1 !!!!!! nuff said always watch the widscreen version!!!!!!!!! if you dont like the black bars make some "mattees" (so a search on this forum) and yes they sound stupid but they Do work (I have a 40" Tosh as well)

6. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I made the picture even better on my Tosh RPTV after first clipping pin 19 on my SCART lead which is composite out, and then disabling Scan Velocity Modulation. DVD's now don't exhibit ringing around image edges, this also applies to Sky Digital even more so :D :D

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Why would anybody chose the 4:3 version over the 2.35:1 version on such a large TV !

I have the same TV and 2.35:1 looks much better.

8. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't buy DVD's if they're not in widescreen :p

9. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,676
    Why would anybody chose the 4:3 version over the 2.35:1 version on such a large TV !

Hi.

Because the 4:3 has been reframed to full screen and still looks excellent, and i dont like black bars!!, sorry but it goes back to the screen burn issue, and i dont like those soild things on my screen in the same place for almost 2 hours!!, thats just me. So no arguments please.

cheers

rai

got to go and watch england v holland now!!,

see ya

rai

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You won't get screenburn after two hours! In fact you are unlikely to get it at all unless you leave your tv permanently switched on and displaying black bars or logos. I have had seven RP tv's in eight years and I have yet to see screen burn even though i use my tv for regular viewing as well as DVD's.

11. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    raigraphixs

So you watch a stretched, distorted 4:3 image just to 'fill the screen'.
    The fact that you are missing some of the image from the WS version doesn't matter at all :confused:

Each to his own I suppose, but I you're the first person on this forum I've come across who owns a WS TV and choses such unorthodox way of watching DVDs.

12. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Screen burn happens with white areas not black, your tubes are like a light bulb, the brighter they shine the more damage will be done and only after being on constantly for hours a day over several months with the sam image.
    If you think those films look good try Gladiator or if you like your films colourful how about The Fifth Element (SuperBit), probably as good as the pictures ever gona get.

13. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,676
    Hi,

Kevo, i cant say this is 100% correct as i am at work so cant see the info, but i dont think bugs life fullframe version is 4:3, i think its 16:9 but just recropped with images moved into the frame, so their is no strechting of image, its 100%, thats why it looks so good. It cant be stretched, it looks amazing. Maybe someone can clarify this.

cheers

rai

14. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,676
    Hi,

Kevo, i cant say this is 100% correct as i am at work so cant see the info, but i dont think bugs life fullframe version is 4:3, i think its 16:9 but just recropped with images moved into the frame, so their is no strechting of image, its 100%, thats why it looks so good. It cant be stretched, it looks amazing. Maybe someone can clarify this.

cheers

rai

15. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, Pixar re-rendered many scenes in the movie for the 4:3 fullscreen version. Some scenes are pan&scanned, while some are recomposed or show more stuff vertically than the theatrical version.

16. baldicoot

baldicoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey HBK

How did you disable scan velocity modulation? I had a peek at Keodhdtv (or whatever it's called) but couldn't find the appropriate parameters in my set's designer mode (a 43VJ13P). Did this result in much of an improvement (I think the pic is pretty darn good as it is)?

17. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have the same TV, great set ain't it ? :D
    To disable SVM you need to remove the speaker grill (6 screws and simply pull it off). Then remove the metal plate behind it (4 screws, NOTE the ground wire attatched to the top right screw of the metal plate, that will need to go back as it was).

Then you will see 3 CRT guns near the bottom of the set. Middle is green, left is Blue and right is Red. On the middle gun you will see an extra chip board about 3/4 of the way up. This is the SVM board. Notice that there are white wires with a yellow strip going from the SVM board to each CRT. Simply disconnect each of the white wires from each CRT and celotape the end so you know it was disconnected intentionally. Thats it, all done :D Just be careful when your pulling out the wires from the chip board.

Sounds complicated but its a 20 minute job :D And btw - I think it does improve the picture slightly, there's noticably less ringing/ghosting around the edges of images but its nothing groundbraking. Worth doing if you confident enough and know what your doing. :D

18. baldicoot

baldicoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Thanks for the info on this HBK - don't think I'm brave enough yet to try that out though, mild tweaking of service mode variables is my limit! Agree that it's a super set :D

19. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HBK757 you seem to know what your doing. Is there any wa to get the component inputs on the RPTV to accpet a PS input from a suitable DVD player. I know that in their standard guise they cant, i was just wondering if there is any sort of mod that can be made to allow them to.

20. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you can do that. Then again I'm no expert on Progressive Scan but I'm pretty sure its not possible on the TV, unless anyone else know's otherwise ?...

21. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Haven't heard this one before. By clipping do you mean cutting off one of the pins? I'm a bit nervous about screwing up my lovely IXOS lead! I definitely don't have the balls to disable SVM so is it still worth clipping the scart lead? TBH I'm very happy with the picture quality of my Tosh RP.

Thanks.

22. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just open up the actual plug of the scart lead. My one had screws so it was very easy. Locate Pin 19 and simply snip the wire. Then put the lead back together. Pin 19 sends a composite out signal from the TV and can cause wire interference/crosstalk. My Sky digital signal improved a touch, its nothing major though. Same goes with a DVD signal. Btw snip the wire at the TV end.

Btw I have a £40 scart lead too and was nervous about doing this, but its real easy so don't be worried about it. :D

23. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks m8, I'll try it tonight. What about pin 20 - isn't that also composite video (can't remember if it's in or out)?

BTW where did you find out about this? Or did you work it out all by yourself? :)

24. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do a search on google for "scart pin 19" or "pin 19 snip" , you'll find a ton of info. :p

25. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI guys
    Can any one tell me
    ive just received my toshiba 42wh18b the replacement for the 40wh08b when the tv is turned off it has 2 white V shape shadows in the center of the screen which meet at the center to a point. Top one is correct v shape bottom one same image upside down is this normal as its my first rear projection big screen tv,or do i complain. when tvs on i cant notice any problems but set only 24hrs old.
    MANY THANKS

26. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ummmmmmm, hrmmmmm. Well On my 43VJ13P I notice no shadows or light of any kind on the screen when its turned off. Is it still there when you turn the tv on and watch something ?? If so does it noticably effect the viewing experience ?

27. keith cumbria

keith cumbria

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not noticed it when its on ,problem not as bad today think it may have been a shaddow from the light going to take more notice though