Awesome AVF People

DrapedInDarkness

Distinguished Member
No big secret that I am a wee bit rough at the moment, even logging on here to do much is a hell of a lot of effort, but I just wanted to do a quick shout out to some of the people on AVF who make it a personal mission statement to be really awesome human beings and help out others.

When I was getting ready to move into my flat I had some serious financial issues and basically could not afford it, this was some seven closer to eight years ago now, I'd recently lost my mum and both of my beautiful border collies Scully & Gemini either side of my mum.

@Trollslayer @SteveCritten both of these fine gentlemen stepped in and I thought loaned me the money, but neither have ever let me pay it back or discuss it thus far, I cannot thank them enough as the current situation may have been even more unthinkable without somewhere close to a dr to live.

I tried to repay their kindness by paying it forward and offering films and other items for free or in raffles as it seemed like the right thing to do.

Then over the last month or so it became clear my laptopm was dying and would have a limited life to get a replacement, unfortunately I stopped getting paid almost five months ago and the paltry funds I had saved up were swallowed up on life and living, so I made a cheeky post in the classifieds asking if somebody had a decent model that they would let me pay for over a few months as a replacement, nothing fancy required just a
lappy that let me occasionally play games and do reading/banking/shopping etc.

@Accylad replied and offered me a great laptop, the one I am using at the moment in fact and he would not let me even pay for postage, it's taken me a small hile to feel good enough to set it up and then post this to me massive message, but I really wanted to show my gratitude to these people who have been awesome to me for no reason other than they are clearly lovely people.

I've also been beset by well wishers during my fight against long covid and although there is no space to thank all of you individually I am immensely grateful anytime somebody takes the effort to post new news about long covid or just to ask how I am.

So to @Accylad @Trollslayer @SteveCritten I doff my cap and thank you immensely. :thumbsup::clap:

Miss C DeVille

What a lovely post, and just goes to show that there are good people still out there.
I hope your health and finances improve. I know myself how hard things can be sometimes, but have managed to come back stronger.
Wishing you all the best for the future.

ssbib

Distinguished Member
This forum really is unique as it’s the only space I see online that is full of genuine acts of kindness and no negativity. There are disagreements here or there but I’ve never seen anyone just being an idiot for the sake of it and these particular gentleman have taken it to the next level indeed. Top work!

richp007

Distinguished Member
Yes excellent post DiD and cap doffed to those lads.

And as someone whose followed your posts with regard your Long Covid situation, I continue to wish you well.

Edit: And Shodan and any others too!

Last edited:

shodan

Distinguished Member
What a lovely post and yes, there is some absolutely fantastic people here.
Asa side note, can I have a link to your posts / thread about dealing with Long Covid please? I've not been as active as usual myself for quite some time (more popping on, reading a bit but not participating).
I've been dealing with Long COVID from September so I'd love to catch up with you about it.

DrapedInDarkness

Distinguished Member
What a lovely post and yes, there is some absolutely fantastic people here.
Asa side note, can I have a link to your posts / thread about dealing with Long Covid please? I've not been as active as usual myself for quite some time (more popping on, reading a bit but not participating).
I've been dealing with Long COVID from September so I'd love to catch up with you about it.

Sad099

Nice to see and read the AVF forum spirit is alive and well.
Hope your circumstances improve and you recover fully soon

Darth Felix

No big secret that I am a wee bit rough at the moment, even logging on here to do much is a hell of a lot of effort, but I just wanted to do a quick shout out to some of the people on AVF who make it a personal mission statement to be really awesome human beings and help out others.

When I was getting ready to move into my flat I had some serious financial issues and basically could not afford it, this was some seven closer to eight years ago now, I'd recently lost my mum and both of my beautiful border collies Scully & Gemini either side of my mum.

@Trollslayer @SteveCritten both of these fine gentlemen stepped in and I thought loaned me the money, but neither have ever let me pay it back or discuss it thus far, I cannot thank them enough as the current situation may have been even more unthinkable without somewhere close to a dr to live.

I tried to repay their kindness by paying it forward and offering films and other items for free or in raffles as it seemed like the right thing to do.

Then over the last month or so it became clear my laptopm was dying and would have a limited life to get a replacement, unfortunately I stopped getting paid almost five months ago and the paltry funds I had saved up were swallowed up on life and living, so I made a cheeky post in the classifieds asking if somebody had a decent model that they would let me pay for over a few months as a replacement, nothing fancy required just a
lappy that let me occasionally play games and do reading/banking/shopping etc.

@Accylad replied and offered me a great laptop, the one I am using at the moment in fact and he would not let me even pay for postage, it's taken me a small hile to feel good enough to set it up and then post this to me massive message, but I really wanted to show my gratitude to these people who have been awesome to me for no reason other than they are clearly lovely people.

I've also been beset by well wishers during my fight against long covid and although there is no space to thank all of you individually I am immensely grateful anytime somebody takes the effort to post new news about long covid or just to ask how I am.

So to @Accylad @Trollslayer @SteveCritten I doff my cap and thank you immensely. :thumbsup::clap:O

That was heartwarming, Thanks for making me smile. Hope things get better for you soon. :)

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
Just logged in for the first time in a while as I changed my password then forgot it. I helped you out mate after being on here for years and seeing posts by you on here you seemed like somebody who just needed a break in life. @Trollslayer and I were proved right because once you had a place of your own you got a job and improved your lot immensely. Then yet another bad break comes along and I say again, don’t struggle give me a shout if you need something.

DrapedInDarkness

Distinguished Member
Just logged in for the first time in a while as I changed my password then forgot it. I helped you out mate after being on here for years and seeing posts by you on here you seemed like somebody who just needed a break in life. @Trollslayer and I were proved right because once you had a place of your own you got a job and improved your lot immensely. Then yet another bad break comes along and I say again, don’t struggle give me a shout if you need something.

You cannot stop yourself from being awesome huh dude :laugh::thumbsup:

I won't lie dude, things are pretty awful at the moment, but I'm trying to stray positive and as self sufficent as possible and hope the powers that be will look again and restore my benefits now my appeal has been handed over. :rolleyes:

I have a absence meetingh with work on Wednesday and will update my covid thread with whatever happens, and as for forgetting passwords, been there and done that.

Many years ago when I was much younger I set a new passowrd and then totally forgot it for my pc and could not log in for five or six days and one night I literally dreamt the password and woke up frantically trying to remember and it was only blooming right :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom