Awake (Netflix) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, Cas.
I liked GR in Kajillionaire but upon seeing her listed in this, it brought flashbacks of other actioner/thriller stuff that pushed it to the nope bin. And, I must admit, that seeing another Netflix piece with a 7 gives me an eyeroll. But, your review has swayed me and I bet the ovary cohort in our abode will be happy enough.

Thanks for the review, Cas.
I liked GR in Kajillionaire but upon seeing her listed in this, it brought flashbacks of other actioner/thriller stuff that pushed it to the nope bin. And, I must admit, that seeing another Netflix piece with a 7 gives me an eyeroll. But, your review has swayed me and I bet the ovary cohort in our abode will be happy enough.

Thanks mate. I find Netflix's biggest problem is often in the Editing department. They make some decent fare, but the editing is all over the shop, leaving them barely average. This is mostly just another Netflix movie, without the editing problem, and with some refreshing brutality around the edges, which gives it a satisfying, darker, tone. And I specifically mentioned Kajillionaire because I'm not sure I rate GR in anything other than that - and this - so fingers crossed she's up for more challenges.

Is it that good or is the score a bit generous, considering the 5.0 IMDB average 🤔

Thanks mate. I find Netflix's biggest problem is often in the Editing department. They make some decent fare, but the editing is all over the shop, leaving them barely average. This is mostly just another Netflix movie, without the editing problem, and with some refreshing brutality around the edges, which gives it a satisfying, darker, tone. And I specifically mentioned Kajillionaire because I'm not sure I rate GR in anything other than that - and this - so fingers crossed she's up for more challenges.
I would add endings to that; as Netflix often takes too long getting there, with a lack of editing, and then kind of forgets impactful closure - that sounds painfully toilet based.

Is it that good or is the score a bit generous, considering the 5.0 IMDB average 🤔

I mean, watch it and judge for yourself. But really, please give it up on the scores. The review is what gives you a flavour for whether this will be up your street, not a damn number out of ten.

And imdb?? If you check the individualised scores there, it's normally just a bunch of people scoring 0/10 and then a bunch of others scoring 10/10 because they're upset about all the 0s. It's utter madness.

The basic premise sounds dumber than the dumb movies I normally like. Unlike Captain Marvel (yes I am the one person who likes that film ;) ) I can readily imagine being annoyed by all the empowering tropes.

..Imdb?? If you check the individualised scores there, it's normally just a bunch of people scoring 0/10 and then a bunch of others scoring 10/10 because they're upset about all the 0s. It's utter madness.
Actually this film never got higher than a 5.4 on IMDB for both genders in every age group. It averages out to 5.0/10 so it doesn't look like there's any review bombing here.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 12.57.23.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The basic premise sounds dumber than the dumb movies I normally like. Unlike Captain Marvel (yes I am the one person who likes that film ;) ) I can readily imagine being annoyed by all the empowering tropes.

Actually this film never got higher than a 5.4 on IMDB for both genders in every age group. It averages out to 5.0/10 so it doesn't look like there's any review bombing here.

View attachment 1525730

That is interesting, I did say "normally" so let's see what the next few days bring. Surprised that quite so many reviews appeared day of release...

And I didn't really find the premise dumb at all. By not really diving into the specifics too much, it just called upon a little suspension of disbelief. Worked perfectly fine within the universe created by the movie.

I also can't see any empowering here, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right direction. Just an ex-soldier estranged mother, with issues, looking to protect her own. I bought that just fine. A lot more than Captain Smug.

You're not alone, Captain Marvel is one of my favourite MCU films.

That is interesting, I did say "normally" so let's see what the next few days bring. Surprised that quite so many reviews appeared day of release...

And I didn't really find the premise dumb at all. By not really diving into the specifics too much, it just called upon a little suspension of disbelief. Worked perfectly fine within the universe created by the movie.

I also can't see any empowering here, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right direction. Just an ex-soldier estranged mother, with issues, looking to protect her own. I bought that just fine. A lot more than Captain Smug.
The funny thing is that I think the (justified) dislike of Ms Cheese blinds some people to the point of her film. She's an ex air-force pilot, taken into space and is effectively trained to be an elite commando. A bit like Cruise in Days of Thunder, cocky, cocksure, (other phalic descriptions), and smug lol.

You're not alone, Captain Marvel is one of my favourite MCU films.
I wouldn't go that far lol, but I definitely enjoyed it :)
I wanted to check out the quality of the London Dolby Cinema vs Cineworld (Cineworld won easily) and I was able to watch this film twice with no issues.

Nice review Cas. A 7 will do nicely considering the expectations I had for it being the usual Netflix fodder.

The funny thing is that I think the (justified) dislike of Ms Cheese blinds some people to the point of her film. She's an ex air-force pilot, taken into space and is effectively trained to be an elite commando. A bit like Cruise in Days of Thunder, cocky, cocksure, (other phalic descriptions), and smug lol.

I mean, I hear that argument a lot. Marvel = Cruise.

But by and large I can't think of a single Cruise character who hasn't been taken down a peg or two along the way in order to, ultimately, come out on top.

TG, Days of Thunder (Duvall is priceless), Firm, Mission Impossible flicks - all of them. There's a pretty painful learning curve even in DoT, coming in as a 'natural' but really having no clue how to focus his skills in action. Surely they could have done the same thing?

So the problem with Marvel is she's just impossible to connect with. She's pure arrogance, zero flaws, apparently. I know they couldn't have Jackson's Fury keep her in check in the current climate, but really somebody needed to take her down in order for her character progression to go somewhere at the end.

It's not just her solo film either. And in action, I LOVE her (Marvel vs. Thanos was epic) but as a character I just can't abide her unending smugness.

I'm sure it's also an actress thing too, cause Jolie's pretty cocky in Tomb Raider, and owns it much more palatably.

Really, imagine if Superman was portrayed like this. He'd be absolutely insufferable.

But by and large I can't think of a single Cruise character who hasn't been taken down a peg or two along the way in order to, ultimately, come out on top.

TG, Days of Thunder (Duvall is priceless), Firm, Mission Impossible flicks - all of them. There's a pretty painful learning curve even in DoT, coming in as a 'natural' but really having no clue how to focus his skills in action. Surely they could have done the same thing?

So the problem with Marvel is she's just impossible to connect with. She's pure arrogance, zero flaws, apparently. I know they couldn't have Jackson's Fury keep her in check in the current climate, but really somebody needed to take her down in order for her character progression to go somewhere at the end.

It's not just her solo film either. And in action, I LOVE her (Marvel vs. Thanos was epic) but as a character I just can't abide her unending smugness.

Yeah that's the thing, when a person has no flaws or personal struggle to overcome, there's no character arc which is the core component of the heroes journey. Such a person is impossible to connect with or relate to. The other thing I don't like about her is she isn't acting or playing a role; she's just being Brie Larson for 2 hours. There is nothing otherworldly or mysterious about her, despite her cosmic background.

As you say though, the actual film is a pretty solid Marvel adventure.

The other thing I don't like about her is she isn't acting or playing a role; she's just being Brie Larson for 2 hours.

Weirdly enough, i haven't seen her in anything other than the Marvel franchise so can see why that would grate. Although there are a few actors I could mention that aren't exactly rangy (Sean Connery, Hugh grant, Liam Neeson) and Hugh gets a pass for Paddington 2.

Weirdly enough, i haven't seen her in anything other than the Marvel franchise so can see why that would grate. Although there are a few actors I could mention that aren't exactly rangy (Sean Connery, Hugh grant, Liam Neeson) and Hugh gets a pass for Paddington 2.

She is exceptionally good in Room, and I liked her in Short Term 12. She's also a lot of fun (believe it or not!) in Scott Pilgrim. In all those however she's playing characters, not just wearing a costume.

I only thought of the analogy today. Here was me thinking I was being original lol.

I'm sure it's also an actress thing too, cause Jolie's pretty cocky in Tomb Raider, and owns it much more palatably.
Really, imagine if Superman was portrayed like this. He'd be absolutely insufferable.
I do like the film but I can't disagree with your assessment. I hate "insufferable" Mary Sue characters. They wind me up no end to the point where I "almost" dislike the person as well as the character. So why don't I hate this one? Ms Cheese is a bit of a knob yet I still like this film?

As you say though, the actual film is a pretty solid Marvel adventure.
Maybe it's as simple as this ^^^.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's also a lot of fun (believe it or not!) in Scott Pilgrim. In all those however she's playing characters, not just wearing a costume.
If you watch her early interviews with Craig Ferguson it looks like she really used to be a lot of fun. It's becoming more and more apparent that "The Agenda" can not coexist with fun.

I didn't think it was a bad movie myself but something seemed off and a little boring but after seeing this the way this guy explains what he would have done the movie would have been a hell of a lot better.

Will give it a watch stopped going off review scores ages ago if I like the look of something I’ll watch it then if it’s rubbish I won’t watch it again

As someone who often works nights, I can fully get onboard with the world turning to s**t after a few sleepless nights scenario. I can remember quietly sobbing because I couldn't get my baby daughter to eat her weetabix. This was quickly followed by a rage so powerful I ripped my t-shirt off like an over weight Lou Ferrigno when my wife informed me that 'She always eats her breakfast for me. Stop being grumpy!'

Watched this last night and have to agree, that it does work if you let it. Leave your skull cap at the door and run with it, it at least finally remembers a conclusion.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom