AVX-380 and HTS3305

Reaction score
Hi all,

A small question. I am looking to purchase either the ONKYO AVX-380 or Onkyo HTS3305. I have heard some good things about the HTS3305 but nothing about the other one which seems to be primarily sold through Comet. I have a large gift voucher for Comet so this would be better for me. Both seem identical going by the specs, it seems to be the speakers 'look' a little different. Are these the same systems? I did think of going the seperates route but for my 3m x 2.8m room, I think they will be enough. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Richard

Hi There
Just to clear some confusion, the AVX380 & the HTS3305 use the same amplifier, its the speakers that are different, they both use a passive subwoofer the difference is in the main/centre speakers .
hope this helps :thumbsup:

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I am then assuming that the HTS3305 speakers are superior? Is there a large difference? Is the 3305 classed as significantly superior? Sorry for more questions, I just want to be sure before I buy as they are both the same price. Thanks again.

Richard

yes im interested in these two systems as they are both the same price, pity they both have a passive sub.

so which system has the better speakers and why? I cant find see spec differences. AVX-380 or HTS3305?

The HT is above the AVX in terms of spec, the AVX is the lowest model, the HT is the one above it, although there isn't much difference.

Going by what is said here, the HT model is the higher end model. I just need to know how big a difference there really is. The specs seem identical, it seems the speakers only 'look' different. Just need some confirmation.

Richard

yes im in the same boat,, the specs seem virtually identical and the amps are the same.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/21652529_8e8a458d96.jpg
http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/21641599_d99877a30d.jpg

I wonder if its just a cosmetic difference with the speakers. as I prefer the look of the AVX-380 speakers. Also you can get the AVX-380 from comet for £285 until tomorrow.

My biggest question is whether it works well with sky hd, as sky only outputs surround sound audio via optical not over hdmi, ive read reports of problems with this amp only outputting the 2 channel hdmi sound and not using the optical.

My second question is whether this system converts component in video (from dvd) to the hdmi out, or whether it needs more component out cables to go to the tv.

My only gripe with these systems is that they have passive sub woofers and dont appear to be able to have their firmware upgraded (i.e. via a usb).

Hope someone can answer my question before the offer runs out.

Last edited:
I was scratching my head trying to find the difference myself. This is what I found in the spec:

Output sound pressure:
308: F/Srrnd- 81 db ---- 305: 82 db

Size:
308: F/Srrnd- 101x175x116 ---- 305: 101x161x111
308: centre- 273x101x106 ---- 305: 230x102x113

Weight:
308: F/Srrnd- 0.7kg C- 1kg
305: F- 0.8kg Srrnd- 0.7kg C- 0.9kg

Carton weight:

308: 22kg
305: 21kg

The size and marginal-weight being the only thing that stands out, it is likely that that internal components are exactly the same.

Spec sheets:

I was scratching my head trying to find the difference myself. This is what I found in the spec:

Output sound pressure:
308: F/Srrnd- 81 db ---- 305: 82 db

Size:
308: F/Srrnd- 101x175x116 ---- 305: 101x161x111
308: centre- 273x101x106 ---- 305: 230x102x113

Weight:
308: F/Srrnd- 0.7kg C- 1kg
305: F- 0.8kg Srrnd- 0.7kg C- 0.9kg

Carton weight:

308: 22kg
305: 21kg

The size and marginal-weight being the only thing that stands out, it is likely that that internal components are exactly the same.

Spec sheets:

Yeah, there is not too much difference. I ended up buying the AVX380 from Comet at the weekend. I had a gift voucher to spend anyway plus I got 5% off to drop the price to £285. Very happy with it.

My only problem with it is it doesnt output component inputs through the hdmi out. This isnt a huge problem. My wii is the only thing that uses component. So my two choices are to run a component out cable to my projector or to buy one of these.

Component Video and VGA with Audio to HDMI Upscaler Converter - HDMI Converter

Apart from that I am very happy. Only had it set up a couple of times as I will be moving house shortly. Also, reading the onkyo to ps3 thread in the Onkyo forum is a must.

Looking at £285 worth of temptation myself (got it in the basket)!

A bit more info for anyone looking.

The amp in the package is a HTR 380.

The separate amp is a TXSR 308.

The only difference I can find (flicking between tabs) is that the 308 has an additional pre-out for a sub.

King_Louie- does this amp do HDMI sound pass-through?

Looking at £285 worth of temptation myself (got it in the basket)!

A bit more info for anyone looking.

The amp in the package is a HTR 380.

The separate amp is a TXSR 308.

The only difference I can find (flicking between tabs) is that the 308 has an additional pre-out for a sub.

King_Louie- does this amp do HDMI sound pass-through?

If you mean does it accept sound from hdmi inputs, then yes it does. I had mine hooked up to my ps3 and 360 via hdmi and had access to all the hd sound formats from the ps3 and dobly digital and dts from the 360.

If you mean does it accept sound from hdmi inputs, then yes it does. I had mine hooked up to my ps3 and 360 via hdmi and had access to all the hd sound formats from the ps3 and dobly digital and dts from the 360.

I stupidly didn't really elaborate enough.

Does sound from equipment (Blu-Ray etc.) connected to the amp via HDMI play though the TV speakers when the amp is turned off or in standby.

I don't always turn an amp on for all media currently.

Yes im very happy with the AVX-380 too I think the only difference to the richer sounds HT-S3305 package is the look of the speakers. Was a great deal at comet.

Basically both these packages are based on the TX-SR308 minus the pre out for powered subwoofer.

The next onkyo package up (HT-S5305) is pretty much the same again but includes a powered subwoofer.

As king says it wont upscale and output component to hdmi but thats not a big deal to me, can just run the component video cable direct to the tv and change the tv source when needed.

Needs a bit of setting up if using it with sky and the 'phat' ps3 etc, but follow this thread and itll make life easier:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/all-...udget-anything-better-than-onkyo-hts3305.html

Overall I think it represents great value for money.

I stupidly didn't really elaborate enough.

Does sound from equipment (Blu-Ray etc.) connected to the amp via HDMI play though the TV speakers when the amp is turned off or in standby.

I don't always turn an amp on for all media currently.

yes, need to set hdmi pass through on. (orange light comes on on amp to indicate this when its in standby). Only downside to hdmi passthrough is that it ups the power usage when the amps off.

yes, need to set hdmi pass through on. (orange light comes on on amp to indicate this when its in standby). Only downside to hdmi passthrough is that it ups the power usage when the amps off.

Thanks (I was currently reading through the manual to find out).

Do you mean it uses more power in standby than with the amp operating?

Do you mean it uses more power in standby than with the amp operating?

No. it just uses more power in standby when the hdmi pass through function is turned on compared to standby with this feature turned off. Both are still less than when the amp is actually operating. Think it tells you how much wattage in manual.

its not a big deal to most people but amps do use quite a lot more power than most people realise when in standby with hdmi pass through turned on.

No. it just uses more power in standby when the hdmi pass through function is turned on compared to standby with this feature turned off. Both are still less than when the amp is actually operating. Think it tells you how much wattage in manual.

its not a big deal to most people but amps do use quite a lot more power than most people realise when in standby with hdmi pass through turned on.

Thanks.

My biggest question is whether it works well with sky hd, as sky only outputs surround sound audio via optical not over hdmi, ive read reports of problems with this amp only outputting the 2 channel hdmi sound and not using the optical.

My second question is whether this system converts component in video (from dvd) to the hdmi out, or whether it needs more component out cables to go to the tv.

To answer these - Yes (search elsewhere, there is a tweak you need to kake that is not in the manual) and No you need more cables

Tommo

To answer these - Yes (search elsewhere, there is a tweak you need to kake that is not in the manual) and No you need more cables

Tommo

From other thread.

Salthegal said:
alternatively you can just hook the component cables straight to the tv, as I dont think theres any benefit to having the component go into the amp then tv. just means youll have to switch the source on the tv each time you play the wii.

as you watch sky, you may need to hook the optical cable from the sky box to the amp, instead of hooking it from the tv optical out to the amp. I say this because my lcd only outputs 2 channel sound over the optical. it may also help with sound and video syncing if you take the hdmi out and optical stright from the sky box to the amp.

my set up

sky hd > hdmi & optical > amp > hdmi > tv
ps3 > hdmi > amp > hdmi > tv
wii > component video lead > tv
wii > audio lead > amp

also some newer sky boxes have 'coaxial' out as well as 'optical' out. go for coaxial out if yours has it. many prefer it to optical and not as fragile.

onscreen menu (settings text) is only shown on hdmi outputs.

ive installed this system over the weekend, very impressed for the money. had to increase the length of speaker cable as wasnt quite long enough. (9m for rear speakers)

also for sky you need to set this amp to use the optical input for sound not the hdmi sound input. to do this set the correct input optical within the settings menu. then once out of the main settings menu you have to press the 'audio' button and push up until you get to the setting where you can set optical to take priority over hdmi. took me agggeessss to find this.

also dont forget to set sky to output 'dolbly d' from the skybox settings menu.

the passive sub seems to be sufficient for our setup and it can always be upgraded.

the only problem ive found is that the manual gives conflicting information as to what hz to set the speaker crossover level to what people say on here. speakers are rated down to 80hz, but manual says set them to 120hz according to the 8cm cone size.

So ive opted to put the setting in the middle at 100hz.

I take it that is what you were referring to.

I have reserved an AVX380, which I will fetch later. I will report anything useful.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom