1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVSales - Bunch of cowboys - NOT!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Smurfin, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,161
    Over the last few weeks I've been hunting for a new TV. Having moved and losing my dedicated AV room (bye bye projector :mad: ), I've been searching for something for both long term TV usage and - for the short term, i.e 12 months - something that I'd be happy with for movies.

I looked at all the different types of display and have gradually grown more and more frustrated, mainly due to the following:

CRT: Good picture, but not very "cinematic", possible geometry issues and the sheer size of them is a big no no (HUGELY deep on a 36" model).

RP TV: Bought a Toshiba 42WH36....awful convergence issues and frankly, the picture was extremely disappointing even when converged (all of 5 minutes before the lens sprouted feet and moved :eek: )

LCD TV: Hugely expensive, smearing on pans is a big negative.

Plasma: Expensive, though getting cheaper, inferior picture quality to all of the above...after all it's a lifestyle product isn't it?

So that's what my views have been, as I say I bought a Tosh RP TV for £1020 from Web Electricals, and in all honesty I wasn't impressed....in fact it was utterly crap.

After that, and having seen quite a few RP TVs, I decided that this option was out, along with LCD because of the price and smearing issues.

Which left me with CRT and Plasma. Wanting to keep to my budget of around £1200, I was initially looking at the Toshiba PF2 TV - the 36ZP38. I like the styling of it, but was worried about the "dirty screen" effect people have mentioned, geometry (one I demo'd had an issue with the top left of the image) and more critically for me....the depth of the thing is immense. Still, it's not a perfect world, and there isn't such a thing as a perfect display, but before shelling out for this model I started looking into plasmas.

After doing some research and finding that prices have come down, I booked an appointment with AV Sales to look at the Pw6 Panny. Ok...it's well over my budget @ £2140, but longer term it will be ideal for a living room (especially as it takes up no space), I love the styling but....well the picture's not going to be up to much is it?

I've seen alot of plasmas in the past, and NONE of them have looked good to my eyes. Lots of noisy, muddied pictures is all I've seen, so I was sceptical as I walked into the demo room @ AV Sales. Andy stayed late so I could see the panny in action, and it was running alongside the Pioneer 43" and the Panny HD 42".

Was I impressed? Initially no. I was immediately bothered by haloing and some noise in the image (Matrix), and I could still see the colour blocking around the fish in Finding Nemo (why people go on about this disc being awesome is a mystery to me, it's the worst mastered Pixar disc to date imho). But then as I settled into the demo, and we tweaked the settings (mainly reducing sharpness), and disc after disc passed through the DVD player (which was, btw a Denon 2900) the Panny really showed its strengths.

The black level was significantly better than the Pioneer, in fact I was really impressed with this aspect, and both colours and detail were fantastic. Edges - with sharpness turned down - were crisp and clean, and on particular material (LOTR) I was amazed. Plasma has come a long way!!!

Andy patiently swapped discs over for me, and as the Panny grew on me, I asked him to try The Abyss, which is a tough disc for any display to do justice, especially as it's non anamorphic. In short, it looked excellent. Though obviously not quite there on the quality stakes, for a non-anamorphic disc the image was superb...detail still in the shadows, and surprisingly minimal noise.

I ummed and ahhhed a bit, but when it came down to it, I thought: "You're impressed with this on the whole, the only other option for you is a god-awful CRT TV which will take up a ton of room, so why hesitate?"

Nuff said...I walked away with a Panasonic PW6:)

Since getting it home I've played around with alot of the settings and have got a frankly stunning image. Up close, in dark scenes and depending on the quality of the disc, I do occasionally see some noise/detail loss, but in the big scheme of things, for DVD I am immensely impressed. Aside from the fact that the images are superb (oh and I have no colour banding, and notice no flickering as others have reported...and I am VERY picky with my displays), the plasma looks great on top of my oppli:) Chuffed? Very!

Word must go to AV-Sales too: I've dealt with Andy and he's been nothing but professional and helpful, especially as I hate the "hard sell." The price of the PW6 package is great, the service even better, and I recommend anyone who's considering it to give them a ring to arrange a demo. It's good to finally see some plasmas working as they should, and several models side by side too:)

So bunch of cowboys they're not, but it made you read this, didn't it? :thumbsup: ;)

2. Colonel Burton

Colonel Burton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for the info have you a link for where i can get it for that price and was it the silver one or black you got? what else do/would i need to buy ie: tuner, stand/wall bracket please forgive the questions but i`m pretty new to the plasma scene and after the day i`ve had looking at numerous tv shops for a RPTV and coming home with nothing after not be very impressed with the PQ and the mrs saying to me why not get one of those plasma things instead they looked alright so hear i am with open mind and wallet lol

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I knew there was a reason I don't trust you Matt :p Enjoy your new plasma. :)

4. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,227
    Lol

Certainly did make me look, After reading the title i thought whats he talking about the service i received from AVSales was superb :thumbsup:

Lets hope people do read the whole thing and not just the title :zonked:

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I admit when i saw the title i thought the delete button was going to get some action. ;)

6. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yo smurfer

SO how dd it compare t the HD Pana ?

John

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah, spill Matt! I know Gordon likes the HD, but he has superman eyes, so nice to hear what somepme mortal thinks!

ad

8. panama

panama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    {swear word removed - lynx}, I thought oh my god, as yesterday finally made the decsion to buy the same pally through them....ahhhhhhhh, PHEW ;-)

read the rules regarding swearing - lynx.

9. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Great write up and I agree about both the screen and AVsales. But dont you think people just browsing the forum and NOT taking time to read your post will get the wrong impression of AVSales? I know its deliberately misleading, but it could adversely affect them if people dont take time to read your post.

Anyway just a thought, happy viewing :)

10. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Have to agree - some won't have time to read the thread, and in the back of their mind will just remember reading that AV Sales are cowboys. Think it might be good to edit the title.

I too am interested to read your views on the HD in comparison - although perhaps not easy if you didn't spend a lot of time setting that screen up. Seen many screens, many times, but was recently very impressed with the SD when set-up properly, and being fed by and HTPC (direct pixel mapping) - difficult to imagine what the HD version could offer on top of that (in noticable viewing terms).

11. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Hi Smurfin

When I read through the threads after getting into work this morning and saw this one my immediate reaction was :eek: :rolleyes: and lost the remaining strands of hair that have managed to hang onto my scalp these last few years.

Thank you for your .......er very novel compliment and I'm pleased you had a good demo with Andy :)

Enjoy your plasma

Regards

Alastair :hiya:

12. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Region 2 disc has 2x the bitrate of the Region 1. The Region 1 is simply awful as they have filled each disc with massive extras, where as the Region 2 is 16:9 only (and DTS sound) and a second disc for extras! Try the Region 2, its far far better!

13. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Perhaps not the best choice of name for your thread! The casual observer might not bother reading that you got excellent service from AV Sales.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

14. PaulCaden

PaulCaden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :lease: Can you let me know exactly what your settings are for Picture as I do get colour banding on my Panny 6B and I can't seem to get the brightness and contrast right (see my previous post)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.