AVS Video Converter

TechiMan

Has anyone used a program called AVS Video Converter and whether they have had any issues with it?. I'm trying to convert various video files to DVD (mainly a combination of MPEG4 and MTS files. I converted some files last using the "DVD PAL 720x576 - High Quality (HQ 60/108 min. at 1 DVD/DL DVD Disc" setting, and the resulting outputted video seemed fine and the correct frame size. However, when I did another conversion using the same settings the video size when viewed through VLC player was smaller. Why that is I don't know. No idea what the "HQ 60/108 min. at 1 DVD/DL DVD Disc" is all about as, far as I'm aware, to fit a video onto a DVD (MPEG2) in the highest quality is around 60 mins of video.

There seems to be alot of very poor programs out there I would say.

next010

Distinguished Member
DVD-R DL is a dual layer DVD-R that has a capacity of around 8GB, a regular DVD-R is around 4GB in capacity. Look at your discs it should list the size on the label.

Using a DVD-R DL allows higher quality video.

HQ mean high quality for 60/108 minute length video.

So that preset is basically saying use this for video that is 1-2 hours on a DVD-R DL.

Videos wont come out at the same size all the time, it depends on the source material and settings the encoder is using. From looking at the guide on the AVS site it has an advanced section were you can alter the bitrate if you want to manually force it higher but keep in mind you cannot go past the capacity limits of DVD-R.

TechiMan

DVD-R DL is a dual layer DVD-R that has a capacity of around 8GB, a regular DVD-R is around 4GB in capacity. Look at your discs it should list the size on the label.

Using a DVD-R DL allows higher quality video.

HQ mean high quality for 60/108 minute length video.

So that preset is basically saying use this for video that is 1-2 hours on a DVD-R DL.

Videos wont come out at the same size all the time, it depends on the source material and settings the encoder is using. From looking at the guide on the AVS site it has an advanced section were you can alter the bitrate if you want to manually force it higher but keep in mind you cannot go past the capacity limits of DVD-R.
Thanks,

Yes I am aware of the capacity of a DVD disc as being 4.7GB and dual layer being 8GB. As I've said I haven't changed any of the settings, bitrate, framerate, framesize etc, but I'm now getting a converted video that is smaller in resolution.

To illustrate what I mean, here's some screenshots taken from playing the videos in fullscreen in VLC player from the .TS folders prior to burning to DVD. Screenshot 2 (which I converted today into a separate TS folder) is clearly a different frame resolution for some reason, although in the properties they both state they are 720x576, so they should be the same. Again, I just browsed the video files and clicked on the same video setting and clicked convert.

I think the reason for the strange frame size is down to being set to 4:3 instead of 16:9, and changing it seems to have corrected the problem. However, during another conversion it's saying that the output size is too big (4.7gb) which is strange as 4.7gb is enough to fit onto a disc. When I remove the file (which is only 35mb in size) and click on convert it's now saying that the output size is too big (4.63 GB). How does that make sense?. Even If I removed another 3 files it would still say the output size is too big. Very bizarre program. Whoever designed AVS Video Converter didn't know what they were doing.

I've noticed when I've been able to convert the files and have checked the disc capacity, there was about 1GB more that could've been added, yet this program doesn't seem to let you do a full 4GB disc only just over 3GB.

Attachments

• screenshot 1.jpg
    screenshot 1.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 9
  • screenshot 2.jpg
    screenshot 2.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 9
  • screenshot 1.jpg
    screenshot 1.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom