AVS receives sound from laptop but not TV

sonicx6

Novice Member
Hello, all. I'm having problems setting up my Pioneer HTP-071/VSX-321-K-P. Especially since this is the first time I've ever used any type of AVS.

The speakers are hooked up fine and everything. I tested them out with the AM/FM tuner, and the speaker test. They produce sound. So the connection between AVS and speakers are good.

However, hooking up TV to AVS is the problem for me. My TV is a Samsung UN43RU7100KXZL. I use an HDMI cable to hook up from HDMI3 output (ARC), to the receiver OUT HDMI output. This seems finicky, as my approximately 15-year old Amazon brand HDMI cable works, but not other generic ones. They are all labeled "high-speed" on the wire's plastic insulation.

When I hook up TV to AVS, it takes a few seconds for the Samsung TV to detect the AVS. It even lists the correct model number of the AVS (listed as "VSX-321") without needing to do anything.

I proceed to set the TV to "Receiver (HDMI)" in the sound settings. Everything goes completely silent.

So I fiddle around with the AVS settings. I cycle through the input select. There's: BD, DVD, DVD/BDR, CD/SAT, TV, CDR/TAPE, and TUNER (AM/FM radio).

I put it on TV input. It doesn't work. I use "signal select" on the AVS remote. It cycles through A, C1, and O1. According to the AVS manual on Page 17, there's an H option (as in HDMI). It doesn't appear, no matter what I do.

I gave up after a while, and then I connected my laptop via HDMI to test it out and see if it worked. I connected it on the DVD/BDR input. To my surprise, a red light turned on that I never saw before (the HDMI light). The sound was a bit muffled, but it transmitted perfectly using the Amazon cable and even the generic cable. Encouraged, I hooked up the OUT HDMI output from the AVS to HDMI 3 (ARC) of the TV, with the laptop still connected to "DVD/BDR." Still nothing.

I've basically done all I could think of. Any ideas??

Links to manuals if anyone wants to view them.

AVS: Download Pioneer HTP-071 Operating Instructions Manual | ManualsLib
TV: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/...33/MUSISDBR-4.0.4_EM_MUSE_SA_ENG_201023.0.pdf

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
For audio return channels to work, you need to have HDMI CEC - in Samsung language Anynet switched on and working.

Check this is enabled and see if the audio will now appear.

If not, an optical cable will provide a reliable connection from the tv back into the AVR.

sonicx6

Novice Member
For audio return channels to work, you need to have HDMI CEC - in Samsung language Anynet switched on and working.

Check this is enabled and see if the audio will now appear.

If not, an optical cable will provide a reliable connection from the tv back into the AVR.
I tried Anynet+/CEC. It's enabled. If I try to disable it, the "VSX-321" (the AVR/receiver) no longer appears under sound settings.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom