AVS receives sound from laptop but not TV

sonicx6

Novice Member
Hello, all. I'm having problems setting up my Pioneer HTP-071/VSX-321-K-P. Especially since this is the first time I've ever used any type of AVS.

The speakers are hooked up fine and everything. I tested them out with the AM/FM tuner, and the speaker test. They produce sound. So the connection between AVS and speakers are good.

However, hooking up TV to AVS is the problem for me. My TV is a Samsung UN43RU7100KXZL. I use an HDMI cable to hook up from HDMI3 output (ARC), to the receiver OUT HDMI output. This seems finicky, as my approximately 15-year old Amazon brand HDMI cable works, but not other generic ones. They are all labeled "high-speed" on the wire's plastic insulation.

When I hook up TV to AVS, it takes a few seconds for the Samsung TV to detect the AVS. It even lists the correct model number of the AVS (listed as "VSX-321") without needing to do anything.

I proceed to set the TV to "Receiver (HDMI)" in the sound settings. Everything goes completely silent.

So I fiddle around with the AVS settings. I cycle through the input select. There's: BD, DVD, DVD/BDR, CD/SAT, TV, CDR/TAPE, and TUNER (AM/FM radio).

I put it on TV input. It doesn't work. I use "signal select" on the AVS remote. It cycles through A, C1, and O1. According to the AVS manual on Page 17, there's an H option (as in HDMI). It doesn't appear, no matter what I do.

I gave up after a while, and then I connected my laptop via HDMI to test it out and see if it worked. I connected it on the DVD/BDR input. To my surprise, a red light turned on that I never saw before (the HDMI light). The sound was a bit muffled, but it transmitted perfectly using the Amazon cable and even the generic cable. Encouraged, I hooked up the OUT HDMI output from the AVS to HDMI 3 (ARC) of the TV, with the laptop still connected to "DVD/BDR." Still nothing.

I've basically done all I could think of. Any ideas??

Links to manuals if anyone wants to view them.

AVS: Download Pioneer HTP-071 Operating Instructions Manual | ManualsLib
TV: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/...33/MUSISDBR-4.0.4_EM_MUSE_SA_ENG_201023.0.pdf

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
For audio return channels to work, you need to have HDMI CEC - in Samsung language Anynet switched on and working.

Check this is enabled and see if the audio will now appear.

If not, an optical cable will provide a reliable connection from the tv back into the AVR.

sonicx6

Novice Member
For audio return channels to work, you need to have HDMI CEC - in Samsung language Anynet switched on and working.

Check this is enabled and see if the audio will now appear.

If not, an optical cable will provide a reliable connection from the tv back into the AVR.
I tried Anynet+/CEC. It's enabled. If I try to disable it, the "VSX-321" (the AVR/receiver) no longer appears under sound settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom