AVRX1300W downmixing 7.1 atmos

Grenage

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have an AVRX1300W deeps for 5.1.2, but I'm having issues with 7.1 Athos input. No signs is enjoyed at all, so it's obviously being ignored.

5.1 tracks are fine, and work with DTS neural X.

I know I'm missing something obvious, but I assumed it would downmix to 5.1.2.

Russell.

First, do you have the correct and correctly configured speakers for Atmos ie 5.1 base plus at least two ceiling or upfiring speakers. Second are the discs you are playing have an Atmos soundtrack. Only Atmos embedded soundtracks will display the Dolby Atmos on the Denon's front panel. Ordinary 5.1, 7.1 discs will show Dolby Digital + DDS giving the indication that the base soundtrack is being upmixed to give the pseudo Atmos effect.

Atmos metadata woould be ignored by the rceiver if applying Neural:X upmixing to the incoming audio stream. Press and hold down the MOVIE button on the remote and select the option listed that included ATMOS within its name or select DOLBY SURROUND up,mixing when wanting to access Atmos encoded sundtracks. If you don't then you'd only get the TrueHD base audio and the Atmos metadata will be ignored.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I've got two speakers configured for overhead, and the disc track being played is 7.1 Atmos.

It's not that I don't get sound from above - I don't get sound out of any speakers when 7.1 is selected. If I press the movie button I can select from Dolby surround and neutral x, but there's no listing mentioning Atmos.

Have you got your disc player set to bitstream and secondary audio switched off? Also make sure you are selecting the Atmos soundtrack for playback.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I've got two speakers configured for overhead, and the disc track being played is 7.1 Atmos.

It's not that I don't get sound from above - I don't get sound out of any speakers when 7.1 is selected. If I press the movie button I can select from Dolby surround and neutral x, but there's no listing mentioning Atmos.

The source is either therefore not configured to bitstream audio via HDMI or the disc you are using requires you to specifically select the Atmos option via its options? The only other explanation would be that the disc doesn't inc;ude Atmos?

But would that stop any auto coming out at all.

???

The disc has to firstly include a soundtrack that is Atmos in nature. This will be indicated on the disc's cover. If it does then you'll only get the player to convey the metadata associated with Atmos if the player is configured to BITSTREAM audio via HDMI. Some discs do not automatically select Atmos as the default and you have to manually select the Atmos audio option from within the disc's menu in order for the player to use that option.

The disc is the last game of thrones season, which has Atmos. I'll have another play with it this evening and see if I have more luck.

Cheers!

All the Atmos encoded Game of Thrones discs require you to select Atmos from the options within the audio menu on the disc. If you don't select Atmos then you just get Dolby Digital 5.1. Insert the disc and start it playing. When the disc menu appears, select the audio options and choose Atmos. Play the episodes on the disc and you should now get Atmos sent to the receiver.

snapshot001.jpg

Last edited:
Aye that's what I did, but after doing so there was no sound from any speaker. I must have misconfigured something in the amp, but I have no idea where I've gone wrong.

If player is configured correctly then receiver picks Atmos automatically, no need to additional options - all my discs working itself. Of course receiver should be also configured fot Atmos

If player is configured correctly then receiver picks Atmos automatically, no need to additional options - all my discs working itself. Of course receiver should be also configured fot Atmos

No it wouldn't automatically receiver Atmos in relation to Game of Thrones discs. Atmos is not the default audio on Game of Thrones discs. You have to select Atmos from the audio options on the disc in order to get Atmos. You'd also need the player to be configured so that it BITSTREAMS audio via HDMI and you'd need to ensure that its SECONDARY AUDIO option is turned off. The receiver itself would need to be configured with at least a 5.1.2 speaker pattern and you'd need to ensure that Neural:X upmixing isn't engaged. If you try applying Neural:X to Atmos audio then you get nothing more than 7.1 TrueHD with Neiral:X applied to it. THe receiver would ignore the Atmos metadata if Neural:X were engaged.

Last edited:
I don't have GOT films, so maybe they work differently. Every disc/film can be done differently - how this audio layer works.
Of course dante, your information is correct - I assumed, that this is done already

The Op doesn't specifically specify what type of 5.1.2 configuration he has so it is hard to give exact guidance as to what exact speaker configurations and assignments he should be using. If his 5.1.2 setup consists of a 5.1 base layer plus 2 additional overhead speakers then he should be using the following:

snapshot001.jpg

He's also need the ASSIGN MODE to be set to "TOP FRONT" or "TOP MIDDLE" dependant upon exactly where the ceiling speakers are located? If the 2 Atmos speakers are front height speakers mounted on the front wall as opposed to ceiling speakers then you'd use the "FRONT HEIGHT' assign mode and if using a pair of Dolby Enabled upward firing speakers then the assign mode shuld be set to "FRONT DOLBY". Note that the receiver will ignore any Atmos metadata present in the incoming audio without using one of these options and you need a minimum of a 5.1.2 speaker configuration in order to be able to access Atmos.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom