1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVRT300 - and RGB up-conversion

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by CSGardner, Apr 30, 2004.

1. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quoting from the feature set on ARCAM website:
    • Video up conversion – composite to S-video and vice versa via the monitor outputs; composite and S-video to interlaced component video
    • Video up conversion to RGB with sync on composite (SCART compatible) for European TV displays. 12V triggers support S-video, RGB and widescreen switching for SCART equipped TVs. To the best of our knowledge this extraordinarily useful feature set is unique to Arcam

This generates an associated question for me - will the AVR300 transcode betweeen RGB in (on one of its component inputs) to component out on the monitor output?

Clearly, this could have the great benefit of allowing a direct RGB SCART connection to my TV, and then switching the other High Quality output (of my DV78) via the AVR300 and then onto a COMPONENT projector.

I know its a long shot - but worth asking!

Thanks for any info
    Chas

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hope someone from Arcam will respond, because I'm asking myself the same question- my sat receiver outputs RGB thru SCART; currently using a CPC SCART to YUV box to feed my receiver, the feature described would let me discard this box...
    Barend

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry guys the AVR300 won't do that - it would have added a lot more complexity and for (I think) only a few customers. You should use an external converter box designed for the job as Barend has done.

In the interests of market research how many people on here would find this feature really useful in a future product?

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't plan on using the video IN/OUT features at all on the AVR300. I connect my video sources directly to my TV, and use a remote to fire macros with discrete IR codes to simultaneously switch audio inputs on the receiver and corresponding video inputs on the TV.

But I understand some people have more video devices than inputs on their TV, so AV receiver video switching is desirable. If I were in that case I would desire upconversion to progressive component video since I expect the deinterlacer in my DV88Plus is better than the one in my Sammy DLP.

I'm in the US, so Scart capability is a non-issue to me (as far as I know).

Dean

5. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear John,

I think nearly everyone here would like one or two ports that can do this. I have had to buy two external converter boxes(RGB to Component) for use in my home. the first for my Plasma so that it can be controlled by the amp. and the same again in my home cinema for my Barco projector. It is jolly inconvenient to have to locate yet another converter box that could so readily have been accommodated within the amplifier. At the moment I am using two Denon AVR3803 with DV88+ and I hope to upgrade to your new AV amp soon (Wife permitting!).
    Paul Reading

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Seems silly not to have included this option in a receiver this expensive, even the much cheaper Denon 3805 upconverts any video signal to component video, and the coming Harman Kardon too.
    I hate to switch the Plasma every time I want to see the setup menu, or use expensive converters for an RGB input.
    But I am still puzzled what exactly Arcam DID incorporate then?
    I don't understand anything of what they're writing on the subject...
    Barend

7. CSGardner

CSGardner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The upconversion TO RGB + switching in the RGB 'domain' is indeed a feature I have never seen on any other receiver - so I applaude ARCAM for that . If I just used one display device still (i.e. large TV), then this would be all I'd want.

The cheaper reveicvers you mention only perform this to COMPNENT - which is really only of interest to projector / plasma owners (I'd guess).

Chas

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Barend - forgive me for being blunt but you have missed the point - the AVR300 does all that the Denon 3805 and others do in this department and more, namely up conversion of composite and s-video signals to RGB-S (Like SCART) as well as to component video.

What I believe the guys are asking for is further electronics to convert between component and RGB from different video inputs as required. Frankly alongside all the other stuff, that's not at all easy to do but I have asked members of the site for feedback, to try to gauge what demand there might be for such a feature. Please note that doesn't mean we will ever commit to try to offer this but let's find out who might be willing to pay for it first :)

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. Paul Reading

Paul Reading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite a few John, we all have the same problem. SKY/Freeview produces RGB and DVD - component. Plasma screens are getting cheaper and it is a problem to have to switch between sources. The only thing that bothers me is that isn't DVI going to replace both RGB and Component as the best output in future?

10. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    Yeah, I think R&D money would be better spent on designing HDMI/DHCP switching...

Cheers,
    Liam

11. Boxster

Boxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to upgrade my slimline Pioneer amp to either the Arcam 300 or HK 630. I would expect to buy a software upgradeable amp/processor to power a plasma screen with either, DVI or HDMI inputs with upconversion. but it seems nobody caters for this market as yet, so another expensive upgrade in the future.
    I am using sky+ RGB scart, Echostar sat receiver with RGB scart, a component out DVD and composite VCR into a Tosh 36" without using video switching on the amp. I fancy a Pioneer HDMI Plasma.
    Can the Arcam 300 feed an HDMI plasma?
    John
    p.s. My first amp was an A&R A60.

12. hemp3

hemp3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The meridian G91 seems to offer this at the moment. Will Arcam be releasing a proccesor/amp with this functionallity i.e. upscale to HDMI/DVI in the future? Im sure a lot of plasma/pj owners would like to have a intergrated solution to connecting their sky and DVD players to their displays. I like others have found that the sky picture is rather poor and have looked to upscaling to improve things.

John: I am sure their is market for this considering the quality of your products anybody buying your av amps/processors will either have or be thinking of buying a plasam or projector and this feauture would be greatly benefitial.

13. Cameron

Cameron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, it would be useful to convert my scart from my cable tv box to component for my projector.

thanks

CaM