AVR850 or AV860 plus P7?

kryten

I've had AV8 and AV9 but I moved away from Arcam processors a few years back because they'd fallen behind on features and room correction, so ended up with the Yamaha CXA5000 processor.

One of the reasons was I realised I hardly listened to music any more - most of the use being TV, XBOX and films.

I'm now putting in a dedicated cinema room in our new place and again, I won't be using it for music but will be connecting a full 7.2.4 set of Sonance in wall/ceilng speakers and subs for Atmos

I'm just wondering what benefit of the AV860 has over the AVR850? 500 quid cheaper but no poweramps is quite a difference as I'm not likely to buy 11 channels of new Arcam poweramps for it

One thought is how does my Arcam P7 poweramp compare to the Class G ones inside the AVR850? Similar/better/worse? I could use the P7 (repaired a couple of months ago and now good as new) meaning the cost is pretty much the same as the AVR

I know the usual 'removing the poweramps gives a cleaner signal' explanation, but are there any clear audible differences for films/gaming that I'd notice having the AV860 and a P7 instead of the AVR850?

sounddog

Buy an AVR390 and it's even cheaper... use your P7 for the main channels and add 4 channels of power amp for atmos (unfortunately you can't use 7 external amps for the main and use the internal amps for atmos).

kryten

Valid point, are all the AVRs identical other than the amps built in?

I find it hard to believe that there are no other differences and that the 2k inc poweramps AVR390 is comparable to the 4k AV860, but you never know...

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom