AVR600 vs AVR750

camelot1971

I own a reliable 600 and love it but am toying with the idea of getting the 750.

Is there a lot of difference in the sound between the two? I have the 3d board in my 600 and split av on my oppo 105 so not worried about the hdmi differences.

Also, the 750 weighs about 9kg less than the 600. Was the 600 over engineering or the 750 materials cut back (or both)?

Thanks in advance for your opinions :)

spl23

The 750 lost a lot of the connectivity of the 600 (analogue MCH ins, digital outputs, S-Video, composite for every input, analogue video out, phono stage, zone 3 etc), and doesn't have the 600's modular architecture (multiple cards on a backplane). I suspect those accounted for quite a bit of the weight difference between the two.

Arcam's official position is that the 750 sounds significantly better than the 600, but I've not compared them back-to-back myself.

camelot1971

Thanks for that. If the price of a decent 750 keeps coming down I might be tempted to try the swap :)

camelot1971

Sorry, another question - was the P777 based off the 750 or 600?

sounddog

Sorry, another question - was the P777 based off the 750 or 600?
The 600 - there hasn't (so far) been a multichannel power amp based on the 750.
Well the P777 was a development of the earlier P7 rather than being based on any AVR (afaik).

The AV888 (processor) was based on the AVR600 (or vice versa) and the AV950 was based on the AVR750.

camelot1971

Are the P7 and 777 class G?

barrywi

I own a reliable 600 and love it but am toying with the idea of getting the 750.

Is there a lot of difference in the sound between the two? I have the 3d board in my 600 and split av on my oppo 105 so not worried about the hdmi differences.

Also, the 750 weighs about 9kg less than the 600. Was the 600 over engineering or the 750 materials cut back (or both)?

Thanks in advance for your opinions :)
I have had an Arcam 350, 600 and 750 and it is used with the oppo 105eu which is similar to your oppo.
I am thinking of upgrading to an 850 soon to facilitate a 4 k system when oppo make one. I use my 750 for both music and movies. My 600 had a few glitches but was generally reliable and settled down , the 750 is totally glitch free. It sounds better than the 600 but not in a massive way like the change from the 350 to the 600. After that change my wife said she could hear the difference in the next room!
The 750 sounds magnificent ,especially when fed by SACD ( stereo and 5.1) discs or a good movie soundtrack.
I live in South Cumbria and could demo it for you. It is still under Arcam warranty and would not be changing it apart from the 4 K desires.
Send me a private message if you are interested.

camelot1971

I see you have your 750 for sale now :)

I'm thinking I'll either add a P49 for 2 channel listening or go down the pre/power route now. I love my 600 and the fact it has MCH in and phono in makes it much more convenient for me.

Maybe I'll get to hear a 750 at some point and change my mind!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom