AVR600 Hotter than hell

Dark Stools

Standard Member
Reaction score
My (Aug 2010) AVR600 has started to get extremely hot. Running for ca. 2 hrs at modest volumes, the top of the casework gets so hot (especially towards the rear), that I cannot touch it. It is in a cabinet with a lot of air around, and the lawn mower sound-alike fan starts up very frequently. Suddenly started to happen a week or so ago. Have informed dealer who is in touch with ARCAM. Any similar experiences?

Yes had the same problem with mine. Arcam adjusted the amp bios which fixed the heat problem. you will more than likely need to send it away to be though.

Ah man. That sounds bad. My sits on top of an open rack to aid cooling. Never got more than a little warm. Something is amiss :-/

I've had the same problem with my AVR600, it gets very hot with the fans coming on 5 or 6 times in an evenings viewing, with the volume never above 30

It has a 3 inch gap above the unit and an inch down each side and plenty of air at the back

I've been told I need to send it back by Arcam, just need to get round to doing it

Entrusting it to a courier scares the hell out of me, I know how they treat things and how often stuff gets dropped and falls off their conveyor belts at the depots

Even with insurance cover can you imagine what the claim process involves and how long it would take to get a resolution with an international courier company

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers / comments.

Dumb question: I just remembered that I changed the mains lead (the OEM mains lead which came with the unit is a European plug, and I eventually got fed up with using an adaptor and swapped the lead for a Maplin UK AV mains lead). I will also check the speaker wires to make sure no stray strands are touching casing etc..

Assuming its running with the correct voltage selected at the rear and a high enough fuse in the plug then can't see why it would affect the heat though.

I am running 4 ohm Dynaudio speakers, and not aware of any user selected impedance settings on the receiver. Just wondering if the lower impedance speakers would make any difference, heat-wise...

The impedance is adjusted automatically. I was on about the voltage selector....it would have been on fire long ago if that was wrong though :)

My (Aug 2010) AVR600 has started to get extremely hot. Running for ca. 2 hrs at modest volumes, the top of the casework gets so hot (especially towards the rear), that I cannot touch it. It is in a cabinet with a lot of air around, and the lawn mower sound-alike fan starts up very frequently. Suddenly started to happen a week or so ago. Have informed dealer who is in touch with ARCAM. Any similar experiences?

Hi,

Mine Arcam also has now the same issue. Did you get back our AVR? Is the issue resolved?

Thanks
Cheers
Shepardos

Hi,

Mine Arcam also has now the same issue. Did you get back our AVR? Is the issue resolved?

Thanks
Cheers
Shepardos

No not yet. I have not yet taken it to the dealer, as it is some distance away. I need to check the wiring one more time before doing so, just in case. Will post again when I have any further news.

My AVR 600 gets hot too. Going to be moving. Going to buy new rack to place it in.
Right now its under my television, things are a little cramped.

I bought mine in 2009. I've had it in an Arca cabinet all that time. My tv doesn't have speakers so the amp is used all the time. I've had no problems at all with mine. I've never heard the fans either. The cupboard is completely open at the back and there's about a 6 inch gap at the top and 2 at the side. I've also stood it on 2 blocks of wood (so the Hdmi cables are clear of the rear of the cupboard) so there's about a 2-3 inch gap at the bottom as well!!

mine gets hot only in standby

Just an not so good update with the Arcam Customer Service. This was my last post on 19-03-2010. After this post my dealer send my unit to Arcam Customer Service to Netherlands.

Now it is 10-05-2010 and still I don't get my Arcam AVR600 back!!! The issue was with power amplifier which was ordered from Arcam UK. I don't know how Arcam send this spare-parts but the Service Center in Netherlands wait now 4-5 weeks for the spare-parts to arrive!

I think it is a no go for such a "premium" product!!!! I'm really ****** with this experience:mad:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom