AVR450 and External HDD

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sue McCrossin, Feb 4, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Sue McCrossin

Sue McCrossin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly I am a COMPLETE idiot when it comes to audio visual set ups but researching as much as I can online. What we have:
    AVR 450 Arcam BD player, Foxtel. Apple TV all hard wired to ethernet.
    Want to rip CD's on to a HDD in as good as quality as possible (was going to do FLAC lossless but from what I have read the receiver may not read these???) using db poweramp. Want to control playback via either a laptop, ios app or the tv screen. (Net function on receiver will do this)
    Our question relates to how we get the receiver to play these files.
    will this work:
    a server such as Asset (from db poweramp people) or plex ( the receiver does currently recognise plex and will play music from the desktop) run from a laptop. Is it possible to plug a HDD(that will receive wireless signal from the server on the laptop) into the back of the receiver and run directly this way. My husband has a theory that if hard wired rather than wireless that we will get better quality sound ???
    Obviously we can do the wireless thing if we have to, either direct from a dedicated laptop or through the Net function on the receiver.
    Do we have to go as far as a NAS - is there any advantage in this?
    Sorry if this is a ridiculous suggestion but trying to get my head around it all.
    Many thanks

2. spl23

spl23

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    I am not 100% sure on this, but here is what I understand...

You can put standard 44.1kHz/16bit FLACs (as ripped from CD with dbPowerAmp) on an external hard drive, and the AVR450 will be able to read and play them; no server, NAS or wireless required.

However, the user interface for doing this isn't brilliant. What I might suggest as an alternative - which would be nicer to use - is that you rip as Apple Lossless and put the files on a PC or NAS running iTunes, and use your Apple TV to browse and play them. You'll need more kit, but it might be a nicer experience.

For playback of lossless CD quality files, either in FLAC or Apple Lossless, wired or wireless networking shouldn't make much difference. There will certainly be no difference in sound quality - the only potential problem with wireless is dropouts causing interruptions in sound, but as long as you are using at least 802.11g or 802.11n, this shouldn't be an issue as long as you have a decent wireless signal.

3. Sue McCrossin

Sue McCrossin
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Very helpful. We do have good wireless so this should work.

4. Ambo

Ambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    My two penneth. Using the Apple TV to play music means keeping TV on to see the interface. Not ideal. I would leave the HDD attached to you main PC and invest in a Sonos Connect (wired to Ethernet) in the lounge, connected to the AVR450 by a single coaxial digital cable. Then get the free Sonos App for your smartphones and tablets and enjoy a fantastic interface to browse and play your music. Your music is streaming over a wired network (= best quality) and the apps control it via wifi. This will work perfectly with FLAC or Apple Lossless files but not hi-res files (i.e those better than CD quality that are starting to become popular, albeit still tiny compared to the market). If you are just ripping your CD collection this will not be an issue. Sonos also allows you to subscribe to a streaming service like Spotify Premium (£10 per month) to access huge online libraries as well as your own. Good luck.

PS. Sonos is addictive. Once you have one box you'll want them all over your house!

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    If you have a iOS device; then the Apple Remote application can control an Apple TV without turning a display on.

Eloise