AVR4306 and SKY-HD Installed No DVD Now

C

Captain_Nemo

I have a AVR 4306 which has worked really well for the past two months, playing my Sony DVD through component and upscaling and SKY+ TV through S-Vidio and optical and upscaling.

Since SKY HD was installed last week I cannot get a picture from the DVD on component, set as RCA1 input. DVD plays when conected direct to TV so thats not it.

The strange thing is if I select Tuner I get a picture and the the radio sound. Picture is a bit poor quality. Very strange, anyone got any ideas. I have tried all types of different settings but all to no avail.

Peters Hi-Fi engineer coming out tomorrow, but can't help but think that SKY HD might have popped something in the 4306.

Any ideas guys would be very welcome

Jase

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you've got the Video Source switched to the wrong Input. Select the DVD Input then press the Video Select button on the Remote (V.SEL) until SOURCE appears. You may have to unselect it from the Tuner Input first though, just do the same and make sure it's on SOURCE.

You can also select the Video via the front panel. Press the Video Select button then twiddle the function knob to get back to SOURCE.

C

Captain_Nemo

Jase

Well done, many thanks, I've been trying to fix this for over a week, did not realise that Vid Select existed. Must spend more time with the manual. I can only guess that the SKY-HD installer must have messed up my original settings.

Thanks again matey.

:clap: :thumbsup:

Jase

Distinguished Member
No worries. It's easily missed. Quite a handy feature sometimes, if you're weird like me and want to watch one thing whilst listening to another...:D

C

charlie44

Jase,
Looking to pick your brain again.....
Sky HD currently connected to Denon 2807 via HDMI, and then 2807 to display via HDMI. I gather that SKY HD doesn't output DD5.1 via HDMI, so I have added optical between HD and Amp. Do I have to do anything on the amp to specify sound input is optical, rather than via HDMI, and once that is set up I assume that the HDMI from amp to display WILL carry the DD5.1
Many thanks

Jase

Distinguished Member
Hi

You'll have to assign the Optical Input to the correct Input e.g OPT 1 - TV/DBS. Go to the Audio Input Setup from the main setup menu and into the Digital In Assign option.

You'll only get sound via the HDMI output if you have it coming in via an HDMI input. It won't take sound from an optical input and then pass it through to the HDMI output.

C

charlie44

I am being a real moron - why would I want DD5.1 audio going via HDMI to the display! So I just use HDMI from HD-AMP-Display for image, and Optical for HD-AMP and then SPEAKER WIRE for sound to the surround sound speakers. DOH

Jase

Distinguished Member
charlie44 said:
So I just use HDMI from HD-AMP-Display for image, and Optical for HD-AMP and then SPEAKER WIRE for sound to the surround sound speakers.
Yup. :)

C

charlie44

Thanks for not taking the ****! By the way, having read the atricle on progressive vs interlaced, I think i kind of get it. The spec for my Sony KDL 32v2000 doesn't make it clear, but I assume no mention implies that it can't deal with a progressive, only with an interlaced image. Does that mean I need to ensure Sky HD is set to output 1080i, or is it better set on auto. And do I need to adjust any of the amp settings accordingly?

Jase

Distinguished Member
You shouldn't need to adjust anything on the Amp as it should just pass through the video signal, whether that be 1080i or 720p. I'd have a play with Sky HD and see which setting you prefer. You might find 1080i better for some things like documentaries and 720p for sports. Not sure what the Auto setting does to be honest as I don't have Sky HD. It might change output depending on content or just automatically feed your display the highest resolution it can handle.