avr3802 question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by brad, Feb 26, 2002.

1. brad

brad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have got a avr3802 and wish to know if it would be possible to use the multiroom outputs to biamp my main speakers (mission 753) as i am currently only using 5.1 at the moment, the amp is quoted as having 7x105rms so i wish to use these 2 spare channels to biamp the main speakers i have set the setup menu to output to multiroom. I have spoken to my dealer and he is unsure if this will work or not.I would like to hear from anybody that has tried this if any one has let me know as i dont reallly want to damage my amp but i cant see any reason why it shouldn`t work myself i just want to make sure before i try as it took me long enough to get hold of this one never mind trying to get a replacement.

many thanks Brad:rolleyes:

system
    sony kv32fq75
    denon dvd 2800
    denon avr3802
    mission 753 front speakers
    mission 780c center
    mission 780 rears
    kef 30b sub

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    We had a similar question in another thread and I had an idea:

Route the spare channels to the multiroom output
    Wire your speakers from the main/front and the multiroom output (ensure you have removed the metal bridge at the speakers)
    Set the multiroom source to the same source as your mains - if that is possible it could work

As long as you have removed the bridge I don't think you will damage anything. It either works or it doesn't ...
    Needless to say that this is done at your own risk though.

Please let us know the result!

3. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wondered about this when I got my 3802.I have already tried Reiners idea about a month ago and it definetly works.The only trouble I had was trying to work out how to match the volume.At first I couldn,t get any output from the multi room amps, then discovered I had to switch the remote to "MULTI" to increase the volume on them.Seems so obvious now!!!.Hope this helps,

Regards Kefmad Rich

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ah – problem. For 5.1 (or 6.1) output to stereo phonos (or the multizone outputs) are you sure the signal is not down-mixed by the 3802, i.e. all 5.1 channels into the 2 channels for output? I know that the A1SE down-mixes 5.1 to stereo for multi-zone (phonos) and record-out.

I did suggest in the other thread to run the Front Left and Right pre-outs into a line in, then set your multizone source to this source. What you will then get from your speaker terminals is:

Front Left outputs Front Left
    Centre outputs Centre
    Front Right outputs Front Right
    Surround Left outputs Surround Left
    Surround Right outputs Surround Right
    Surround Back Left outputs Front Left
    Surround Back Right outputs Front Right

Mark

5. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you might be right, I only tried it with a CD.I decided later to go back to biwiring my front pair off the FL, FR, terminals, as it involved my wife messing about with the volume levels for this to work.I think eventually I,ll end up buying some power amps anyway.Sorry if I,ve possibly led anybody down the wrong path.

Regards Kefmad Rich

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless your speakers where very efficient, I don´t think it is a good idea to make the 3802 amplify 7 channels, you might loose more than you gain...