AVR350 with 4 ohm loads ?

Buckster

Distinguished Member
how comfortable is it ?

I was thinking of as an experiment using my 2 spare Eyris Rears as a large centre ..

the Eyris Rs have terminal blocks on the back - and allow for one to be linked to the other

ie Amp - 1st Eyris R - 2nd Eyris

disadvantage = driving 1 R = 8ohm load to amp, driving 2 .. 4 ohm load

thanks, Mark.

spl23

You'd have to switch it over to the 4 ohm setting, which would mean that the voltage to all channels would be restricted. A lot of people think that the 4 ohm setting sounds inferior to the 8 ohm setting.

scrufftyguy

My speakers are 6 ohm.....is this likely to be a problem? :confused:

spl23

I believe that the advice from Arcam is that if your speakers aren't 8 ohm, then you should use the 4 ohm setting; so for 6 ohm speakers, you want it on 4 ohm.

Gordab

I believe that the advice from Arcam is that if your speakers aren't 8 ohm, then you should use the 4 ohm setting; so for 6 ohm speakers, you want it on 4 ohm.

Advice from Arcam is actually in this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arcam-owners-forum/226714-4-ohm-vs-8-ohm-setting-avr.html

What that implies for Arcam receivers, is that with 8ohm speakers, you can use whatever setting you like/sounds best to you, but the 4ohm setting=less volts/heat and this may sway your decision.

With speakers below 8ohm, use the 4ohm setting.

steviea

I would also add that there are audible benefits to using the four ohm loading switch,in switching loading the transformer has an extra winding which is used during this setting.

scrufftyguy

Cheers for the info....thanks for all you replies! :thumbsup:

tamarasue

Standard Member
just found the answer to my own question - there is a switch on the back of the unit! The reason I asked is I recently bought a AVR280 which does not have this switch (I thought it maybe somewhere in the program settings). I am running 4 Ohm nomimal speakers and the AVR280 is running very hot!

The avr280 brochures say it runs either 8ohm or 4ohm speakers but the back of the unit says 8ohm minimum! I'm staring to think 4ohm for a avr280 is no good! I may need to swap it for a avr350!

Can anyone tell me how hot there units run! Mine wont burn your hand when you touch the top, but it is very hot! I also shone a torch in the air vents and have never seen the fans turn on!

Dankeech

There is definitely a discrepency in Arcam's marketing and manuals on this item. I did check the online manual for this item to confirm it takes 4ohm speakers and it does. Weirdly Arcam doesn't have a switch on the back to choose between voltage rails though. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation around your unit and if you're worried, a quick call to arcam may be in order to seek advice if you can run your unit as hot as it is.

Dan.

tamarasue

Standard Member
The AVR280 states 8 Ohm minimum on the back of the unit - so I've changed over to a AVR350. Got it set onto the 4 Ohm setting. I think it does have a fuller sounds over the AVR 280?

I ran it yesterday for about 6 hours straight and the AVR350 is also running hotter than I expected, but not as hot as the AVR280!

I bought the Arcam because my NAD T753 died after 2.5 years (6 months after warantee ran out). It dies because the fans failed and the unit ran so hot it warped the PC boards - hence my concern over things running too hot!

I have not seen the fans in the Arcam come on even though I feel they should have. Any idea why the fans do not come on sooner? Surely runing the unit so hot can no do the electronics any good? Fans at a low speed are not noisy?

Boxinghris

The AVR280 states 8 Ohm minimum on the back of the unit - so I've changed over to a AVR350. Got it set onto the 4 Ohm setting. I think it does have a fuller sounds over the AVR 280?

I ran it yesterday for about 6 hours straight and the AVR350 is also running hotter than I expected, but not as hot as the AVR280!

I bought the Arcam because my NAD T753 died after 2.5 years (6 months after warantee ran out). It dies because the fans failed and the unit ran so hot it warped the PC boards - hence my concern over things running too hot!

I have not seen the fans in the Arcam come on even though I feel they should have. Any idea why the fans do not come on sooner? Surely runing the unit so hot can no do the electronics any good? Fans at a low speed are not noisy?

The 350 can cut out during peaks once it's warm and isn't exactly a muscle amp, but of course there is the option to bi-amp the front speakers if you only have two surrounds and this should solve the problem to a large degree whilst also improving sound quality. :thumbsup:

Great prices they're going for now and it could even be worthwhile buying a matching Arcam stereo power amp to bi-amp the front channels if all the 350's back/surround channels are driven, as the pre-amp section is excellent.

Dankeech

I bought the Arcam because my NAD T753 died after 2.5 years (6 months after warantee ran out).
I went from NAD T753 > AVR250 > AVR280.

Liked the flexibility of the inputs and naming on T753, but even AVR250 was a big jump in detail.

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom