AVR350 subwoofer setup

elleirdad

Standard Member
I have just purchased a refurb Arcam AVR350 to replace my beloved AVR100. (This is my third Arcam receiver.) I am seeking advice on speaker subwoofer setup, as the AVR350 has several new settings.

My two main speakers are a pair of beloved 1980s era Rogers LS3/5a (15 ohm) units. I have two different Velodyne subwoofers available. One is the HGS10B6, which I used as my main subwoofer to augment the Rogers. The other is a Velodyne ULD-12, which I connected to the LFE channel for movies.

(BTW, My other surround sound and center speakers are KEFs.)

I am trying to figure out the best way to hook up the Rogers and the subwoofers and I am looking for suggestions.

One idea is to hook the HGS10B6 directly to the pre-amp outputs. I can set the Velodyne cross-over to a level below the Rogers. But, I am afraid that there could be a frequency hole or spike, depending on finding the right setting. If I do this, I do not understand whether I should use the large speaker setting or something else.

Another idea is to go with a single subwoofer connected to the subwoofer out, but I am not sure how the Arcam cross-over works. Does it send all the low frequencies to the subwoofer out?

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions that you may have for proper settings.

Thank you.

Ian J

Banned
One idea is to hook the HGS10B6 directly to the pre-amp outputs. I can set the Velodyne cross-over to a level below the Rogers. But, I am afraid that there could be a frequency hole or spike, depending on finding the right setting. If I do this, I do not understand whether I should use the large speaker setting or something else.

Most of us would connect up the sub to the subwoofer pre-out on the amp and the speakers should definitely be set to "small"

I'm not familiar with Arcam but I would expect it to have a variable crossover and would suggest that you set it to 80Hz as a starting off point. I'm also not familiar with the Velodyne HGS but would guess that it also has a crossover switch or dial. if so set it to off as you want the Arcam to handle the crossover and not the sub.

After that it's just tweaking time as you need to adjust the crossover on the amp up and down until your ears tell you which is right although if you had an SPL meter you could set it up far more accurately

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom