Standard Member
Reaction score
My set up is:
Panasonic th42-PW7 connected to the amp through component
Arcam AVR 350
Sky HD connected to amp with S Video and Optical
Arcam FMJ DV29 connected to the amp with RGB
Xbox 1 (using XBMC) connected to amp with component

The problem that I have is that the picture on the plasma keeps disappearing and it shows no signal when using Sky HD or my Xbox. I do however still receive sound.

I have changed the S-Video cable - no change
If you switch the amp to DVD, the TV works.
If I switch to Xbox, it shows the same problem as with Sky HD.
The picture starts off by crackling then eventually disappears. After a while (varies from a few seconds to half an hour) the picture will eventually come back.

I am getting the HD box switched out by SKY ON wednesday, that will leave the amp or the plasma. As the plasma works with the DVD source through the amp I think it must be some sort of video switching problem in the Arcam.

I cant find anyone with the same problem as me. I do hope its not the amp as I had an AVR300 for 4 years that needed 4 repairs. I will be very upset if it is the amp as I think that a £1500 machine shouldnt have these reliability problems (again). I will be very tempted to trade it in and get an Onkyo if it turns out to be the amp.

Anyone with any ideas, please help.

Last edited:
Well for SKY HD to work in HD to start with it must either be connected by Component or HDMI and not S-Video which is a poor connection anyway.
Does you Arcam AVR 350 convert S-Video to Component? Not many AV amps do so there in lies your problem.

The AVR350 only switches, it does not transcode down. For any input connection type you must run the identical output connection type.

Use direct connections unless you have too few and therefore need the AVR350 to act as an expansion. Choose connectivity in the order HDMI, SCART, S-VHS, Composite.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

The AVR350 only switches, it does not transcode. For any input connection type you must run the identical output connection type.
The AVR350 does convert SVIDEO or Composite inputs to RGB out.

I appreciate SVideo is not as good as RGB and HDMI, but until I upgrade my plasma, that's all I have to play with. The problem does not lie with the quality of my connections it is going to be down something not working, it's just trying to pinpoint whether it is the amp, plasma or sky

Any more suggestions??

Last edited:
The AVR350 cannot have a mixture of component (YUV) and RGB, it has to be configured for either one or the other.

I would suggest component (YUV) out from all your sources into the 350 then component out from the 350 to your panel.

Ok, I must have component YUV then. Sorry.

The point of my post though is that my wiring isnt a problem or incorrect.

I am getting no signal through my plasma then after a time it works. It is almost like the amp needs to warm up before it works properly.

Please dont concentrate on my wiring this is just for information. My wiring is set up optimally for the components I have.

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom