• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

AVR350 Fault/Dealer Experiences

benng

Standard Member
Hi All, I'm v.new to this forum and Home Cinema but just wanted to see if people have experienced a similar fault on their Arcam?

I've got an AVR-350 which has developed a fault. When the volume is increased beyond 72 it puts a LOT of power through the right front speaker to the point where it would/is damaging the speaker. All other speakers increase volume as expected.

I have spoken to Arcam and they say that this is not a known fault and that it needs a repair (kit is just 12 months old so under warranty).

Also as this is my first experience of a fault, a lot of comments on the Forum imply that Home Cinema shops tend to be very useful and pride themselves on customer service and return business. This amp is the center of my lounge which has no TV, everything audio and visual goes through the amp.

Having spent over £4k at the shop just about 12 months ago and asking if they have any kind of amp that they could loan whilst my Arcam is repaired they point blankly refused and said they've got nothing they could loan me not even a 2 channel amp.

I explained that in the coming 12 months I'll be looking to upgrade my projector to 1080p and am interested in a Blu-Ray player (waiting to see what Arcam do) hence potential for another £3k+ of business but still they don't appear to want to offer any kind of Post-Sales service.

Have I just lucked out on the shop I bought it from or is this a typical dealer response?

(I've withheld the name of the dealer as I don't know the forum rules or if indeed this is standard practice).

Many thanks,
Ben

Davieboy00

Unlucky mate. First on having a fault in your reciever and secondly for having bought £4k worth of gear from an unhelpful dealer
This is definitely not normal behaviour ar anything close to what you would expect from a decent dealer.
I think you already know the answer to the dealer issue. Never darken his door again after you have collected your repaired reciever.
Not sure about rules on naming & shaming - maybe a mod will be able to chip in.
If you post a geographical area of where you live , I'm sure other members will be able to suggest a good dealer you can rely on.
All the best.
David

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordab

Absolutely shocking customer service considering your past and future spending. Please PM me the dealer so I know never to go there.

spl23

Agree with the above - if my dealer treated me like that, they'd never see me again. Whenever I have had problems they (The Audio File in Cambridge) have been unfailingly excellent, and have always been happy to loan me stuff. Up until this year they'd never had as much as £4k out of me, but it paid off, as this year they got that and more... ;-)

Find a new dealer.

Dankeech

I think for the issue of one person reporting they were not allowed a loan whilst their equipment is in repair, I feel we should not 'name and shame' a retailer.

There may be a good reason why no loan was offered, there genuinely may not have been one available and I doubt there are any terms and conditions during purchase at this retailer that say you're entitled to a loan. It's not your right for a loan at all, but many dealers do go the extra mile. On this occasion it seems that Benng's retailer hasn't done this and they're obliged in no way to do so.

I do agree with suggesting retailers in Benng's area who are known to go the extra mile though if anyone can help.

Dan.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I think for the issue of one person reporting they were not allowed a loan whilst their equipment is in repair, I feel we should not 'name and shame' a retailer.

There may be a good reason why no loan was offered, there genuinely may not have been one available and I doubt there are any terms and conditions during purchase at this retailer that say you're entitled to a loan. It's not your right for a loan at all, but many dealers do go the extra mile. On this occasion it seems that Benng's retailer hasn't done this and they're obliged in no way to do so.

I do agree with suggesting retailers in Benng's area who are known to go the extra mile though if anyone can help.

Dan.

Dan has made some very fair points there. It think it is very important to remember that the loan of a unit is not a statutory right in any way and there can be many reasons why a dealer might not have a loan unit available.

benng

Standard Member
I have subsequently been contacted by the dealer, and a very apologetic salesperson who I originally dealt with has gone well above the extra mile and has shipped out a loan receiver to me at their expense.

I agree with the other posts and do understand that it isn't a statutory right to get loan equipment. It was however it the way in which the store manager dealt with the situation and seemed to think what I requested was totally out of the question and completly insane request and something nobody had ever asked for before.

I would again like to reiterate that the salesman has now gone completly out of his way to ensure I am satisfied and has taken personal responsibilty of the situation, it would have been a lot simpler and provided increased customer satisfaction if the store manager worked with this principle.

Davieboy00

You think maybe someone from that store read this thread? ;)

Exactly what I was thinking as I read through again :D

benng - Sounds like you have got a good result in the end. Pity it gave you so much grief in the first place.
All the best.
David

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom