AVR350 + DV137 - which has a better DAC?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by craigd, Jan 2, 2007.

Tags:
  1. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I have managed to find out that the DV137 uses a Wolfson 8740 DAC - I have been unable to get the same information for the AVR 350. Could anyone assist please?

2. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If I'm remembering correctly, the AVR300 uses as 24-bit Wolfson, and I would hazard a guess that the AVR350 probably uses the same chipset.

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
  4. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I think that article refers to the DV137 when it is talking about the DAC near the bottom of the page. I might email arcam and find out which input to use - digital or analogue, I can't decide which I prefer - both sound similar. I may borrow a better analogue interconnect to test it with, I think the one I have now is unshielded.

5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,922
    You're right :suicide:

6. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    For playing music I would use some good quality analogue cables, the difference is quite pronouced, especially if you put your AVR350 in direct mode.

For films go with a coaxial cable, the amp should have a slightly better setup for dealing with dolby and dts decoding.

If you already have a AVR350 + DV137 then it would certainly be worth investing a few quid on some reasonable cables, cheapies wont really do them justice.

Hope that helps :)

7. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    What sort of price are we talking - I am very sceptical about cables, I have a Physics background, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of science to back up the manufacturers claims for a lot of the exotic cables. I spoke to a friend that engineers and produces music andhe is also very insistent that oober-expensive cables are a waste of £££.

With some cables I like them on some tracks and then not on others - I find it very hard to test cables myself and consistently choose the same as superior - maybe my ears just can't tell the difference!

I am going to get a plasma this week so I will see what I can get chucked in for free in the way of interconnects.

8. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Veering off-topic, but I just had to comment on this: I'm an engineer (comp sci, not music, though I am also a musician)...and I agree that from a theoretical perspective, if interconnect differences can't be measured, then they shouldn't be audible.

Unfortunately for theory, in practice I can tell the difference between two sets of cables every time, as can my wife. Even when A/B listening within the same brand, the timbre and imaging differences are frequently not subtle.

I don't care what the manufacturer claims are...I care about what I'm hearing.

9. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    I'm using Cable Talk 3 for CD playback from my DV79 to my AVR350. I think my digital coax is Precision Gold?! Anyway, both cost me about £40/50 each. Well worth the money but like you say, not sure if I'm willing to part with any further cash as a) I think it's spankingly good now, b) Don't believe I'll notice a difference for the 2 to 4 times more cash it's going to cost if indeed it really is slightly noticeable.

10. push

push

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    It's up to you really how much you spend - depends on what you think it is worth, but definitely agree better cables do make a difference. My better half can't tell any difference though, although I've not made her sit for hours whilst I swap over cables, etc... I'm just not that wicked! hehe!

I personally went for modest costing cables from a brand I knew and my dealer recommended.

Stereo IC - Atlas Voyager
    Multiple Channel IC - Atlas Equator
    Digital Co-ax - Atlas Compass

Great cables and bargains can be had on e-bay if you look - a pair of Voyagers in mint condition go for about 40-50 quid when they are 110 quid new - not sure why as most people I've spoken too rate Atlas cables very highly.

I presume you already have good speaker cable, etc ?

11. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I would certainly say, listen to some. Your dealer might let you borrow some to test if your lucky.

I have some Van den hul intergration but that might be a bit excessive for some. Im actually going to lend my dad some Van den hul the Name tommorow and get him to see if there is a big difference between them and his cheapies. They retail for around £40 so wont break the bank. The digital cable is slightly less important so something like a Qed Qunex P-75 would probably be worth trying and is about £30.

12. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I already have a £200 digital cable! I got it for £80 when I got my kit and thought that was a bargain cos it was such discount but reading around it I am not sure if it makes that much difference. Perhaps I should have got the £85 one for 1/2 price instead - I thought I could hear the (sleight) difference in the shop, but you are under pressure to tell the diffence when the salesman is there. Asking you can you hear it..well..can you - so that probably influences you.

13. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I guess so - it was chucked in free but apparently sells for £11 a metre so it can't be bad. But then I seem to remember it is supposed to be directional - now thats gotta be a lie - directional cable for an AC signal.

14. Rakurai

Rakurai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    For speaker cable it's silly. Some analogue RCA cables however follow a 'semi balanced' layout where a twisted pair is used for carrying the signal, and the braided shielding is attached only at the source end.

QED's analogue cables follow this principle for example.

[​IMG]

15. ReferenceLover

ReferenceLover
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you are curious, you can measure inductance, capatance, resistance of your cable using multimeter?

Oh, and can someone care to answer the original question?

16. iandb

iandb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Find someone who is a skilled dowser and lay your cables along the natural lay lines of force in your listening space...

P.S. I would have thought the DV137 to have the better DAC...

17. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I believe they use the same DACs, and in that case, it would be better to run analogs (reasonably priced shielded ones) to the AVR350's multi-channel inputs and run the AVR350 in Direct mode for the best possible sound.

18. tvh3ad

tvh3ad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    :rotfl:

19. craigd

craigd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I got 3x QED Qunex analogue interconnects chucked in when I bought my plasma. Sound fine to me...

20. Canti1982

Canti1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I tried a pair of my Van den hul the Name analogue interconects on my Dads modest system. We tried swapping the cables several times and decided that the Van den Hul cables sounded vastly better than the cheapies he was previously using. The cheap cables made the vocals sound muddy.

So to answer the question, use some half decent analogue cables. Even if amp amp does have the same dac. The amp will have many more components that could influence the quality of the sound.

21. hedrick@rutgers

[email protected]
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can't comment on the recommendation. It may be right. However the reasoning seems wrong. The signal goes through fewer analog components if you send it to the receiver in digital. By doing so you bypass both the output circuit on the player and the part of the input on the receiver.

If analog sounds better, it's either because the player has better DACs (which is certainly possible) or because you prefer a sound that isn't quite as accurate.

22. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    I used to think about Hi-Fi that way when I first started. Technics had just come out with a CD player with TOSLink and a digital amp. Of course we were bowled over in the shop and naturally thought it sounded better than anything else.

Now I've matured and listened to god knows how much kit, that goes against the grain of those who choose separate pre-amps and power amps, using separate CD transports and DACs (although as you've already quite rightly pointed out, this stage is digital).

There's also the noise from the amp circuits themselves, having a persuasion on the amp's internal DACs. I guess the flip-side is that you will end up with more cabling between DVD player and amp. I've listened to my DV79 over digital coax and analogue and it definitely sounds better with some tracks over analogue. The more synthetic the music, the less I can tell the difference.