AVR350 Component Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fireandskill1, Jan 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. fireandskill1

fireandskill1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all
    Does anyone know what sort of picture I am likely to get if I feed my Sky HD box & Nintendo Wii through the 350 via component?
    The HD box is currently connected straight to my Panny via HDMI but I am starting to suffer from video dropout as a few others on here are experiencing (thats another thread).
    I have read that the problem does not exist over component so with only 1 input on the TV I thought I might send the Sky HD box through the 350 and also pipe the kids Wii through there as that is currently using the component on the TV.
    But was wondering if there are any issues that I may need to know about (handling 1080i ect) before buying cables and worst of all trying to access them at the back of all the kit lol

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    The AVR350 is merely a switch, it will have no effect on the picture.

You will probably not get 1080i over component as few devices implement it, but you'll need to ask on a suitable forum for your specific model of Panasonic TV. Try using the Wii component cables to connect the Sky HD and Panasonic to see if it will work to your satisfaction.

3. fireandskill1

fireandskill1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Tv is a Panasonic TH-50PX600B, I have just dug out the manual and it does accept 1080i over component but I still cant find anything about the Sky HD box outputing 1080i over component.

4. ianmacd

ianmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sky HD box will output 720p and 1080i via HDMI and Component. Most devices will accept and output 1080i via component but due to lack of hdcp on component most will not accept 1080p.

5. ianmacd

ianmacd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Sky HD box will output 720p and 1080i via HDMI and Component. Most devices will accept and output 1080i via component but due to lack of hdcp on component most will not use 1080p via component.

6. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,536
    The Panasonic TH-50PX600B is a 1366x768 screen. Any 1080i signal you feed it (the Panasonic will accept it) will be scaled down by the TV to its native 768i resolution. The question of whether you can stream 1080i is therefore irrelevant.

Quality: Unless your source is 1080i, scaling up to 1080i and then back down again to 768i will result in a worse picture than scaling to 768i in the source, as all forms of scaling degrade the picture (better scalers merely degrade less), so you'd have a double degradation.