AVR350: Coax digital IN CD results in distorted sound

50something

Standard Member
Hello. Out of curiosity, I tried to connect my NAD C56BEE CD player to the AVR 350 using a coax cable and got a very distorted sound. The music was barely recognizable as if listening to a small radio with a weak AM broadcast. The analog connection, of course, works fine. I tried connecting to the DVD IN and got the same problem. On the other hand, I have no problems when I use the same coax cable to connect my Cambridge Audio DVD99 to the AVR350 and play DVD's.

Pardon my ignorance, but am I missing something in trying to connect a CD player using a coax cable? The NAD manual indicates that you can use a coax to connect to an A/V. I'm just curious if it can be done.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I assume you're using a digital cable (75 Ohm) and not an analogue interconnect (50 Ohm)? I wonder if the AVR350, which is probably treating the "DVD IN" as being assocated with a DVD player, is trying to decode the digital input, and this causing the problem. What happens if you use the CD connector (in the DIGITAL IN section)?

50something

Standard Member
Yes, I'm using a 75 Ohm digital cable. This is what I use to connect my CA DVD99 player to the Arcam.

What I did next was to play a CD on the CA DVD99. The AVR350 recognized it as a PCM signal and played it without a problem. I checked again the Digital Settings on the Arcam and didn't find anything amiss. I wonder if the problem is with the NAD C565BEE.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Can you check the NAD with another sink, perhaps a friend's, to pinpoint whether it's the NAD or the Arcam?

50something

Standard Member
I'll keep trying. If it doesn't work, I'll stick with the analogue connection.

Thanks for replying, Mark. Much appreciated.

50something

Standard Member
Update:

It wasn't a problem after all. I wrote to NAD last week and they advised me to turn off the upsampling on the C565BEE to see how much the Arcam could handle. I did and it worked. :) I then set the upsampling to 96kHz and it still played. At 192kHz, the sound got distorted. So that was it.

I A-B'd the digital and analogue connections, and my ears convinced me that the NAD DAC's are better than the Arcam's.

Thanks for your replies. I will be posting another question re: volume levels when using MCH, on another thread.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom