AVR350 and PS3 problem at 720p???

akroblade954

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hope someone can help here??!!

I have always had the PS3 set to 720p max through the components (as my display is a 3 year old Panasonic plasma with no HDMI inputs) and it has always worked fine on my display, whether connected direct or through my old Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver (which has a component switching loop).

I recently purchased an AVR350 to replace the Yamaha and the PS3 has worked fine whilst playing Little Big Planet (my daughters Xmas present - honest!) ever since Xmas. I had not tried any other game on the PS3 since taking delivery of the AVR350.

Just tried to play Colin McRae 'Dirt' and could only get the opening sequences before the screen goes blank. Cleaned disk, tried again but no change. Tried Formula 1 Championship Edition and got opening credits OK, distorted picture during menus (nearly illegable), but perfect picture during the game itself. Connected PS3 direct to the display and everything works as it should with no blank screens or distortion.

I reconnected the PS3 through the AVR350, changed the PS3 output setting to 1080i and unchecked the 720p box and now everthing works perfectly.

My question is, why won't it work properly on 720p through the AVR350? I thought it was a simple switching device for the component video??? Anyone else have this problem?? For your info, I am using a genuine Sony Multi AV to Component lead.

Many games are designed to run at their best on 720p, but I can't use the setting!! Whilst I can still play the games (and they still look perfect) there must be something going on in the AVR350 that's having an effect on the signal????

Surely there must be quite a few of you AVR350 owners that also use a PS3 and hopefully some with a Component connection??

If anyone has this set up, I would appreciate it if they could try it on 720p output and try a few games out to see if there are any issues. Mine has trouble with Colin McRae Dirt and Formula 1 Championship Edition. The only other game we have at the moment is Little Big Planet, but this game works fine on the 720p setting.

Thanks

does it work plugged in direct to the TV ?

remember the PS3 cannot scale some games - therefore its possible this is the issue ?

Hi

Yes, it does work direct to the TV. It also worked when connected through my old Yamaha 757 receiver component inputs through to the screen. Problem has only arisen when swapping the Yammy for the new AVR350. Same leads, telly, games, settings (on PS3) and equipment.

It is very odd as I was certain the AVR350 High Qual Video component in/out was purely a switching device - so shouldn't have any effect on what I send through it???

Thanks

Last edited:
totally agree with bit below in bold - all seems a bit bizarre to me

Hi

Yes, it does work direct to the TV. It also worked when connected through my old Yamaha 757 receiver component inputs through to the screen. Problem has only arisen when swapping the Yammy for the new AVR350. Same leads, telly, games, settings (on PS3) and equipment.

It is very odd as I was certain the AVR350 High Qual Video component in/out was purely a switching device - so shouldn't have any effect on what I send through it???

Thanks

I have just had avery similar experience with my AVR280 and DV135.

My (OLD) Hitachi Plasma had been running Sky HD through it's HDMI input fine, i then bought the AVR280 and Sky would work but the DV135 wouldn't.

The strangest thing of all is that it has corrected itself on it's own and now both sources play ok.

btw I am running at 1080i

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom