AVR350 and HTPC display issues?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by robbie1974, Dec 22, 2006.

Tags:
  1. robbie1974

robbie1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just taken delivery of my new avr350, must say im very happy with the sound when combined with the quad L series speakers.

However, i am having some problems when trying to use my HTPC through this amp and then onto my PJ.

The connection from the PC to the amp is a DVI to HDMI cable then the HDMI output from the amp is connected directly to the PJ, however i cant seem to get a picture.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or am i missing something obvious???

Thanks inadvance for your help and Merry xmas :)

rob

2. robbie1974

robbie1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump....anyone?

I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully configured a PC to display via HDmi to a PJ using this amp. Even if its just to know if this is possible.

Thanks again

3. clockworks

clockworks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Do you get a picture if you connect the PC to the PJ using the DVI to HDMI cable?
    If you don't, it's a PC, PJ or cable problem.
    If you do, it's an amp problem.

The amp should just pass the HDMI signal straight through, with no processing, so there isn't really anything to set up, AFAIK. I assume that you've assigned the HDMI input to the correct input selector button in the amp's setup menu?

4. hallabusa

hallabusa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get this problem also with my 350 connecting to my projector. To get around the problem I put the projector on first, then the amp, then after two mins or so put the PC on - this works for me!!

I've read in other forums that it's got something to do with the fact that your graphics card 'needs' to see the display device on boot-up (although I question this myself as my other pc attached to a pioneer 435xde doesn't seem to do it). I've tried other graphics cards but this didnt make a difference (just in case it was specific to a particular manufacturer etc, but doesnt seem to be the case).

Hope it works for you!!

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I have come across this issue once before on an install job. Hallabusa has most probably correctly dignosed the issue here. The problem most likely lies with the HTPC and not the AVR350 which just acts as a pass through for the signal. As already suggested, make sure the display device is powered up and on the correct video input before booting up the HTPC, that way it can detect the display device as part of its boot up sequence.

6. robbie1974

robbie1974

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your help guys. Turning the devices on in the right order did the trick for me :thumbsup:

Many thanks, now i can get back to enjoying this fantastic amp which just sounds better every time i turn it on :smashin:

Merry Christmas !!

7. Sparky66

Sparky66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This is happening because your Projectors' DVI input uses an EDID table algorithm to enable it to lock on to a video signal. If you boot up the HTPC first, the video card will not be able to read the PJ EDID info. To avoid this make sure the PJ is on first. The only problem is, if you switch over to another source input on the Arcam AVR350 to the PJ - lets say a DVD player - and then switch input back to the HTPC later, you may lose video signal again. This can become tedious as you will have to restart the HTPC in the correct sequence again to lock onto a picture.
    One way to get around this, is to use a product marketed by Gefen called a "DVI Detective".This unit sits in between your PJ and the Arcam AVR350's HDMI output. The DVI Detective locks on and remembers your projectors' EDID info, no matter how many times you change and switch inputs on the AVR350.

Link Here for more info on DVI Detective - http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1378

Best of Luck to You All for the New Year !!