swoolcoc

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone linked these 2 devices successfully?

Just purchased the Amazon Fire TV and linked it the AVR350 via the HDMI lead but only getting pictures but no sound. I have a faint recall that this was a problem years ago and my DVD player has an extra lead presumably to carry the sound.

Is there an easy way around this? Not many output options from the Fire box.

It would be a shame to only use the Fire TV with a standalone TV (where it works fine) rather than my main set up.

Thanks in advance.

This amp only carry's picture through HDMI. You also need to connect a digital optical or coaxial lead.

Thanks Errol, as I suspected then. That must be what my DVD is doing with the extra lead.

As there is no way to get digital optical or coaxial out of the Fire Box it looks like I'm stuffed.

Damn shame that my most expensive bit of kit is responsible for the setup not working though.

Brilliant. Looks like that will do the trick.

I love the internet! Thanks folks.

Hopefully it will work but if you order from Amazon you can send it back as faulty if not. I use my AVR350 as a power amp to power Front & Rear Height speakers in a 7.2.4 configuration. So your old receiver can still have a life if you ever decide to upgrade to a new receiver which supports the new sound formats - Atmos & DTS X.

If anyone's interested, just an update on this after the converter box and optical cable arrived. Note, I am hopeless at this sort of thing.

Firstly I needed another HDMI cable but after a spot of rummaging I found one.

Secondly the power lead supplied for the converter strangely had a USB connector not a plug on it! I have just left a phone lead in a hotel room so did have a plug with a USB input spare. Phew.

(So all set to go with high hopes...)

Thirdly I am using the DVD input on the AVR350 for the HDMI lead but then find there is no optical input for the DVD, it is a coaxial I think (which the DVD player was using successfully). There is an unused slot for Tape so plug it in there just to check. As suspected you cannot select both DVD (video) and Tape (audio) together. Damn.

So near and yet so far...time to regroup. Hmmm, how about RTFM to see if there is anything in there. Amazingly find the manual (untouched in about 10 years) and what do you know but it covers this and indicates you can reassign the Tape audio slot to apply to the DVD. So now need to access the AVR350 advanced menu...aha the old remote is in the drawer as well, lovely...batteries don't work and don't have AAA replacements, not lovely. RTFM again and find I can use the front panel instead.

Manage to change the settings and try again...nope. Two problems found, lead not plugged in firmly enough and settings not saved correctly in Setup menu (I did say I was useless).

It must work now surely...TADA!...nope.

Still lovely pictures but no sound. I'm stumped but then gazing at the display of the AVR350 I see it says Analogue on it and I'm trying to connect Digital aren't I? Rings a bell that I've had this problem before. After pressing the Direct button it switches to show Digital.

Restart everything and...it works! YeeHaw! And very nice it is too.

So after all that, yes it is possible to use Amazon Fire TV with an AVR350 by utilising the DVD slots (so can't have DVD set up too) and a signal convertor.

Thanks for the advice.

If anyone's interested, just an update on this after the converter box and optical cable arrived. Note, I am hopeless at this sort of thing.

Secondly the power lead supplied for the converter strangely had a USB connector not a plug on it! I have just left a phone lead in a hotel room so did have a plug with a USB input spare. Phew.

Thirdly I am using the DVD input on the AVR350 for the HDMI lead but then find there is no optical input for the DVD, it is a coaxial I think (which the DVD player was using successfully). There is an unused slot for Tape so plug it in there just to check. As suspected you cannot select both DVD (video) and Tape (audio) together. Damn.

So near and yet so far...time to regroup. Hmmm, how about RTFM to see if there is anything in there. Amazingly find the manual (untouched in about 10 years) and what do you know but it covers this and indicates you can reassign the Tape audio slot to apply to the DVD. So now need to access the AVR350 advanced menu...aha the old remote is in the drawer as well, lovely...batteries don't work and don't have AAA replacements, not lovely. RTFM again and find I can use the front panel instead.

Manage to change the settings and try again...nope. Two problems found, lead not plugged in firmly enough and settings not saved correctly in Setup menu (I did say I was useless).

Still lovely pictures but no sound. I'm stumped but then gazing at the display of the AVR350 I see it says Analogue on it and I'm trying to connect Digital aren't I? Rings a bell that I've had this problem before. After pressing the Direct button it switches to show Digital.

So after all that, yes it is possible to use Amazon Fire TV with an AVR350 by utilising the DVD slots (so can't have DVD set up too) and a signal convertor.

Thanks for the advice.
Are you using the SAT input? If not then you could use this for the Fire TV box instead of sacrificing your DVD player input.

Yes, use the SAT for Sky so that's slot's taken.

Won't really need the DVD now with so much on the Fire TV and if I need to I can just change the HDMI input into the converter rather than fiddle at the back of the AVR350.

So I'm happy now thanks.

Does your TV not have an analogue or optical audio output? Most modern TVs do. If so, just plug the Fire Stick into an HDMI port on the TV, and run a cable from the TV output back to the amp - no need for an external converter box at all.

No, I don't have a proper "TV" with lots of input/output ports, I just have the Fujitsu screen as recommended on here many years ago (huge thread somewhere): still excellent and going strong.

I also had it professionally fitted so it is just a screen on a wall with not a cable in sight. Everything is driven by the AVR350.

Do note that if the Amazon Fire TV outputs more than stereo signal via optical (i.e. 5.1, I think it does), often if you run it via HDMI into a TV and expect to get the 5.1 signal out of the TV's optical you may be disappointed. Many TV's convert 5.1 down to stereo only on their optical outputs so you lose proper surround sound via this method.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi, sorry, some...3 years later...I am mirroring your steps almost to the T. I've pretty much followed the sequence, but am stuck at the "reassign the tape audio slot to assign to the DVD". I don't suppose by any miracle you can remember how you did this on the settings screen, can you? Is it in Main Screen 1? Do I change the screen to read 'Au I: Tape' when on the DVD input? This seems to activate the DVD and the TAPE lights together, but the tv screen with the picture goes off. To bring it back, I need to deactivate the TAPE light - whilst settings in place - still no sound. Page number of manny at all? Perhaps I should ditch the optical sound cable entirely and just try to patch stereo leads instead?

This (simple) Firestick activation project appears to be taking days and a whole lot of patience and determination. I also have doubters that are becoming haters with no firestick sound working.

Heeeelp pleeeeeeeease!

Thanks,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom