1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR3300 overheating

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Maffu, Mar 31, 2001.

1. Maffu

Maffu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had any problems with overheating
    with the AVR3300?

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maffu,
    Can you give us more info?
    Has the Denon actually shut sown?
    What impeadence are your speakers?
    What volume levels are you running?
    Eric

3. Maffu

Maffu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once overheated the 3300 goes onto standby,
    Ruark Vita speakers are 8 ohms, and volume
    is set to minimum!

Cheers

Uncle Eric

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was a common problem with this model. Stateside in particular it became almost legendary. The problem was "apparently" terrible construction/component design from the Taiwan manufacturers used. They now use another manufacturer, Chinese or Japanese i believe which has since removed the problem. That said i have a 3801 which when simply switched on with no sound input or output the unit gets quite warm. I use power amps to drive 3 pairs of speakers (front left and right, 2 centers and one pair of side surrounds) and the Denon drives 1 pair of side surrounds and 1 pair of back surrounds at 8 and 6 ohms respectively and after three or so hours at say -20 db the unit is quite hot. IMHO 7*105 watts should read 50 or 60 watts. I have spoke to Denon about the heat situation and they state this is quite the norm for their amps which seems fair enough as i have experienced some amps that do get hot and some that don't, some are simply designed to dissipate more heat. I have to say though that i have my doubt's over it's ability to run 5 pairs of speakers to any great volume.

Regards

SteveEX

5. Maffu

Maffu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Steve
    What do you suggest I Do?
    I have just left it on for 1.5 hrs this
    morning with no input or output and it still
    shuts down!

Maff

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maffu,
    Steve is quite right, Denons do run hot. I've had the 5700(AVCA1D) and now the 5800 (SE) and both are like heaters.
    I have the excuse of running a 4ohm M&K speaker set up as a hot amp argument and still no shutdown even at prolonged room shattering levels of volume.
    You however are going by the book and running 8ohm speakers. Weird.
    Have you checked all your speaker connections, both at amp and the speaker ends? Perhaps there is some shorting going on somewhere.
    Also, how long has this been going on. Since you bought the amp? Did you change speakers, did you change wiring, did you change your set up posistion. What I'm trying to establish is the point at which things started going wrong. If things havent changed since you bought the unit and it suddenly started acting up then there is obviously a problem that needs the attention of a tech. If not go to the point where the problem started.
    Eric

7. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I had an overheating problem with my 3300 at the time when Pitch Black came out. I'd then had the amp for at least 6-8 months with no problems. I increased the ventalation to the cabinet & have had no trouble since (touch wood!). It still runs quite hot as did my 2700 before that.

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Denon amps run quite warmly generally, just the way they are built.

However, if it keeps shutting down with no volume I suggest you claim on your 2 year warrranty, if it hasn't expired. I had this problem with my original AVR 2800, and my replacement has been fine.

Rick

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What does "adjust the bias" mean?

10. Maffu

Maffu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: