Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

AVR300 zone 2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by seanb724, Aug 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. seanb724

seanb724

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I just recently got a Harmony 880 remote to control my system, as the CR80 left my wife confused 1/2 the time. So now it's a simple "watch tv" or "watch dvd" and it all works.

My problem is with controlling zone 2 with the harmony. Even controlling zone 2 via the CR80 was never easy. I know per the manual you can put in a remote kit in the back of the avr300 and have that in the zone 2 area, but that is not really possible for me. Thus far I've just walked up to the avr300 and hit the zone 2 button, or reached the zone 2 controls via the menu button.

Zone 2 and activity remotes don't really work that well, especially with the Harmony's "smart state." Harmony recommends controlling zone 2 via the device menu rather than activity menu. That's fine by me, but I still need some way to get to zone 2. Another option is to add second activities such as "listen to music outside" or some such...

The AVR300 lists all the IR codes, and it appears that zone 1 and zone 2 codes are identical. So what I'd really need is to get the discrete code for "zone 2 mode on" and "zone 2 mode off" into the harmony. Harmony is willing to add them so that's not a big deal. Will that work, though? When zone 2 is on after the IR code is sent, will all the IR codes sent from then on control zone 2 functions only?

Also, I'm wondering if this is the best solution?

Thanks,
    Sean

2. seanb724

seanb724

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's weird, I got the following message saying there was a reply, but then I check and there isn't one:

If you check page 33 of your AVR300 manual you will notice that there are discrete codes available to control a number of zone 2 functions indepndently of zone 1.

Anyway, the way I read p. 33 this doesn't make sense. It lists a bunch of zone 2 commands, but it states they are system code 16. Then looking at p. 32, which is also all system code 16, the command codes are identical. To me that indicates you have to 1st put the unit in zone 1 or zone 2 mode by either hitting zone 2 on the unit, or you have to send the discrete code of 16-47 to turn zone 2 on and 16-48 to turn it off.

But I'm not so sure I'm reading it right.

Thanks,
    Sean

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    That's why I deleted the post, as I realised that I was wrong, sorry about the confusion.

4. seanb724

seanb724

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, is there a way to toggle through the compression modes?

Thanks,
    Sean

5. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm kinda doing this from memory, so don't take it completely at face value without checking the specifics....

Most of the RC-5 commands use "system code 16" for zone 1 and zone 2. This isn't a problem as usually the remote eye for zone 2 is in another room.

As you want remote control of zone 2 from within zone 1, there is a setting for zone 2 that changes the RC-5 commands over to "system code 19". You need to go into the engineering menu and change zone 2 to "code 19". Set up your remote control device to also use "code 19" for any commands you want to send for zone 2.

You should now be able to control each zone separately using the IR eye on the front of the AVR300. It should also work if you use an external eye for zone 1 if the AVR300 is hidden away.

So to turn the volume down 1dB in zone 1 you would send: 16-17
    To turn the volume down 1dB in zone 2 you would send: 19-17
    Same command code for both zones (17 is volume down on AVR300), but "system code 16" indicates apply to zone 1, and "system code 19" indicates apply to zone 2.

Hope that's given you enough to go on.
    Mark

6. seanb724

seanb724

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How do you get to the engineering menu?

thanks,
    Sean

7. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Press the tuner section buttons "RDS INFO" and "PRESET/TUNE" together. It doesn't matter what source is currently selected.

Scroll down thru the menu by pressing down arrow x2
    Display shows Zone2:16*
    Rotate volume know to show Zone2:19
    Scroll down thru the menu by pressing down arrow x2
    Display shows Exit
    Press "OK" button.

It the engineering menu times out before you have selected Exit, the setting will not be saved.

Mark

8. seanb724

seanb724

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I hit RDS INFO and PRESET and see the ENGINER MENU (yes it's mispelled on my display!).

But what are the down arrows? I tried both keys that have arrows on them -- the tuner preset up/down buttons and the effect/mode up/down ones. But the ENGINER MENU never changes. I also tried using the direction arrows on the remote with no luck.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Sean

9. seanb724

seanb724

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dealer sent some official instructions over which match the ones above, but it still doesn't work:

1 - Switch the system code for Zone 2. The default is system code 16. This is modified by doing the following:
    - On the front panel of the 300, press 'RDS INFO' and 'PRESET/TUNE' at the same time. This will navigate to the engineering menu.
    - Using the up/down arrow keys on the front panel ('EFFECT' button and 'MODE' button), navigate to 'ZONE 2'. Turn the control knob until it reads "19".
    - Go down to 'EXIT'. Press 'OKAY'.

- *Zone 2 is now set for system 19

After I get to the ENGINER MENU, push the mode and effect buttons does not move me to any other options -- it just stays at ENGINER MENU until the display goes blank. Even after that, those keys seem to have no effect.

/Sean

10. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Sean,

I updated mine quitye a while back to code 19, and I can't remember exactly how I did it. But, have you tried using the remote when the Engineer menu comes up? Use the arrow keys on that instead of on the front panel.

Cheers

Andy

11. Robin Francis

Robin Francis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

You have to enable OSD for the engineering menu to work correctly. Best is to have the TV on and use the remote. Give this a try.

Robin

12. seanb724

seanb724

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great, that fixed it!

Thanks,
    Sean

13. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Ah, interesting. I guess you may have different software from what I was using. All was visible on the front panel display on the unit I tried it on. It was an AVR250 I tried, but it and the AVR300 are very similar.

Glad it's sorted now anyway.
    Mark

14. bmun

bmun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to my manual, 16-29 and 16-30 turn Zone 2 mode off and on. Those codes don't work, so I tried 16-47 and 16-48. Better luck, although it pops the receiver into Zone 2 control for only about 3 seconds before exiting Zone 2 mode all by itself.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to get Zone 2 mode to stick for more than 3 seconds once it is active?