AVR300 won't go above 90 db, "click" at 85

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by proux, Aug 18, 2006.

Tags:
  1. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I am consistently unable to turn the volume above 90 db on any input, regardless of whether I am playing something or not through that input, and of the speaker switch being set at 4 or 8 ohm. The limit is correctly set at 100 through the menu. I have not really looked into this before as I rarely need more volume. I have a feeling it went up to 96 when I bought it, but can't remember why / when it may have changed.

Also, when turning the volume from 84 to 85 or vice versa, there is an audible "click" through the speakers. This seems to affect all inputs the same, but when stereo direct is on it is more prominent, and there are faint "clicks" almost at every volume change above 80 db.

The AVR is 2 months old but ex-demo, the firmware is 3.36, the speakers castle compact columns (87 db, 6 ohm), and the items connected to the AVR are DV79, CD92, ProJect debut III, telewest box, VCR (audio only).

Before I take it back to my dealer (perhaps they have somehow fixed the max to 90???), I would greatly appreciate any advice on this, and the "clicking" issue. :lease:

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to anwer.:)

2. webhammer

webhammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi;
    The maximum volume level may be changed in two places on the set-up, General Settings 1 which you say is set at 100, and Level Settings 5. For example, if you have the Centre speaker set to +5db, your maximum volume will be 95. Try going negative on these settings rather than positive if you want to keep the volume max at 100. With regards to the clicking, all the Arcam AVR/AVP have a two-stage volume control for low-distortion at high volumes, and that is where one stage ends and the other begins. Hope this helps.:hiya:

3. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks webhammer!!! :thumbsup:

It all makes sense, and the volume adjustment as you described it works!

Still slightly concerned about the fact that in stereo direct the "click" in 84/85 db is louder, and also audible at other volume changes near the maximum. Should I also relax about this?

Many thanks:)

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Don't worry about the "click", it is a result of the design of the volume control of the unit. This minor niggle allows other improvements in performance.

5. proux

proux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Thanks a lot crusty :thumbsup: