1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 vs A90 + P90/3

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by p3rfect, Dec 21, 2004.

1. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference? Isn't the 3 channel P90 when coupled with an A90 a surround sound system?

2. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    To use an A90 with a P90/3 in a surround system you require the 7.1 input module to be installed in the A90.

The difference between this and the AVR300 is that the surround material needs to be decoded by an externa processor or by the DVD player itself. For example you would take the 5.1 anlogue output of a DV79 or DV27/29 and feed this into the A90. The left and right would be amplified by the A90. The P90/3 would then do the centre and rears.

The above will sound good but the AVR300 would give the following that the above does not:

* ProLogic decoding on analogue and digital sources.
    * Video switching including up conversion
    * 7.1 processing.

I hope this helps

3. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The A90 with a P90/3 gives you 5.1 surround without the 7.1 input module then?

I don't see much difference to be fair. Surely adding a dv79 to the p90/a90 is the way forward as you also have incredible stereo, as well as 5.1 / 7.1.

"prologic decoding on analogue and digital sources"
    does that mean no dolby on normal tv or are you talking about all sources, i.e. a90/p90/dv79.

"Video switching including up conversion"
    Not a clue what those even are!!

"7.1 processing"
    Well you said the a90 can be upgraded to 7.1.

4. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The A90 will nog process anything. The DAVE card will only facilitate 7.1 in/out. The decoders of the DVD player must be used.

5. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    You need the 7.1 module to control the volume of the centre sub and rear channels. Without this the A90 will only control left and right. It also gives you trims to match the levels.

My setup consists of a FMJ DV27A, A90 with 7.1 and an Alpha 10/P3. This does indeed sound good. At some point I want to get a P90/3 to replace the Alpha mode.

I mean on an analogue TV input or a digital input from either a Sky/Freeview box or games console. The DV79 will provide Pro Logic on any Stereo DVD or CD.

AV amplifiers like the AVR300 allow you to switch the vision as well as the sound. This means you only have to run a lower number of cables from your equipment stack to the screen.

To get DTS-ES or Dolby Digital EX sound you will need a DVD player that can provide the 7.1 output for these. As far as I know there are no Arcam (or any others for that matter) that do this.

The 7.1 module in the A90 does not provide any decoding. All it does is to control the the Volume and provide level trims. However it does it well!

The DAVE module mentioned by the previous poster is no longer available and could only be used in the Alpha 10 and FMJ A22.

Hope that helps.

Regards

6. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I thought is was still named the DAVE module. Audiac, the dutch dealer provided me with a pricelist which mentioned the Multi channel card.

7. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I see what you are saying, in other words you gotta buy the whole lot!!

8. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53

The 7.1 multichannel module available for the A90 and A32 provides two 7.1 inputs switching between those two inputs. In addition it provides volume control and level trimming. It then feeds the Left and Right channels to the integrated amps and has pre-outs for the two sets of rears and the sub.

You can also put the 7.1 module in the C30 pre-amp if you really want to splash the cash.

The DAVE module for the Alpha 10 and FMJ A22 provided basic Dolby Digital, DTS and Pro-logic decoding. It fed the left and right channels to the integrated amp and had pre-outs for the rears, centre and sub. It also had OSD and video switching.

The DAVE module was good for its time when not many DVD players had good decoding in them (When it came out Arcam didn't make DVD players!). With players like the DV79 and DV27A/29 there is no need to replicate the 5.1 processing.