1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 Video Switching

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by niceguy235uk, Jul 24, 2005.

1. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Hi Folks

I am running an AVR300 at the mo with a panasonic sky box and Naim dvd5 source units.

At the moment the dvd5 is connected via component to the component inputs on my tv and the skybox via RGB scart.

Is it possible to connect the dvd5 and skybox to the HQ video inputs on the 300 and then connect to tv via component outputs?

I read somewhere that you cant mix component and RGB signal sources..not sure what this means!

Any help most appreciated
    Jason

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    You could get a scart -> component converter which would allow you to connect the sky box as well as the DVD player to the AVR300.

John

3. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi niceguy235uk

i'm doing just what johndon has suggested, sky + getting installed tomorrow so will see how the picture looks. Think you lose auto aspect ratio adjusting though.

Look on the forum classifieds for a second had JS Technology RGB to component converter for about £100, thats where i got mine, excellent quality as i used to have their RGB to VGA conveter.

see: http://www.av-sales.com/html/rgb_to_component.html

Cheers Tam

4. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi Jason,

A bit off thread Im afraid.

I was wondering how do you rate the DVD5? I (briefly) compared it to the DV27, prior to purchasing the latter. I thought the Naim had the edge when playing back CDs, but that asside there wasn't much in it performance wise. Although built to Naims usual high standard, I thought it was less "complete" than the DV27. Having looked at the Naim Forum, many of the threads seem to be about how many times ones DVD5 had been back to Naim to fix some bug or another! Then again Arcam have been building DVD players for many years and for Naim its early days.

5. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Hi greggles,

Well to be honest (im sure you have seen my posts) i cant say i am overly happy with it. My first one went back to naim because it would stop half way through a dvd. No prob- naim sent a new one. This one is fine (so far) but there are so many problems with the firmware (i know there are updates) but i dont think the player was tested for long enough before it went into production. Naim are supposed to bench test everything before it leaves for the dealer, but from the evidence it seems that this is not the case.

Cd playback is excellent, although personally, i prefered the sound of my cd5/fc2x when i had it.

If you are after a dual purpose machine then im positive you wont be able to so better but i think they really have to sort out the problems first.

Regards
    Jason

6. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    oh and thanks to tam and john for their help :thumbsup:

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    What is the TV?? If we're talking a standard CRT which does not accept progressive scanthen you could run RGB all the way. NAIM DVD and Sky into the amp using a scart-4RCA lead (R, G, B, composite sync - connects to component+composite inputs). The Arcam will upconvert s-video signals to either RGB or component (when set in the menu) and you won't need a RGB-YUV converter.

Note this only for those (few!) with no progressive scan inputs. If you have prog scan then component connection required.