AVR300 - VCR Input -Subwoofer !

technojunkie

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently installed a Roku 100 Soundbridge which connects wirelessly to my PC and plays all the stored music on my computer through my stereo speakers (via the AVR300).

I have plugged the Roku into the VCR channel as, although the Roku has a coaxial digiatl output, I use channels 6+7 for Zone 2 music in another room.

My question is, how come I can get my sub-woofer to work when the Roku is plugged into the VCR input (analogue) but, when I switch the CD to analogue input, the sub-woofer has no sound (only on digital input) ?

technojunkie said:
I have recently installed a Roku 100 Soundbridge which connects wirelessly to my PC and plays all the stored music on my computer through my stereo speakers (via the AVR300).

I have plugged the Roku into the VCR channel as, although the Roku has a coaxial digiatl output, I use channels 6+7 for Zone 2 music in another room.

My question is, how come I can get my sub-woofer to work when the Roku is plugged into the VCR input (analogue) but, when I switch the CD to analogue input, the sub-woofer has no sound (only on digital input) ?

This is because in analog more you probably have stereo direct turned on, so no dsp processing is happening so only the L+R signals are getting process. If you want subwoofer in analog, you need to make sure stereo direct is not selected, so that something lid DolbyPLLx Music or some other dsp can be applied. making sure no digial connection is present will certainly make take because I think if both analog and digital connections are present for the same source, then the arcam will only use analog if stereo direct is pressed. a way to get around it is to assign the cd coaxial input to another unused input say, like Tape 1. Then you can for the cd input make sure stereo direct is not selected and get subwoofer out.

Another completely different approach is connecting the pre L+R to the subwoofer instead of the subwoofer out, and setting the subwoofer to none in the speaker settings and the fronts to Large. Then u'll always get bass out of the subwoofer no matter what. This way you leave all the inputs as it is.

The reason I asked the question is that I thought that the sub-woofer channel could only be activated via a digital source passing through the DSP.

However, the VCR input is analogue only and this is clearly stated as Stereo/Analogue on the AVR300 display when playing music through the VCR channel. However, the sub-woofer works !

The sub output works for analogue inputs in non-direct mode if the Stereo Mode in the sub menu is set to SAT+SUB or LARGE+SUB.

Thankyou RumNYC and davehk for your posts.

I didn't realise that I could get the sub to work in analogue only via the sub-out connection which is the reason I asked the question.

All now understood.

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom