AVR300 used as a pre-pro or upgrade to AVP700

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cjohnson6, Sep 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hi all,

Hope you can give me some inspiration...

I have an AVR300 that is now used only as a pre-pro. I like it because it has really useful functionality but I suspect it's the one component in my system that could do with upgrading. Obviously the AVP700 is a good option, but I'd like to know if anyone has any opinions about the differences in sound quality between the AVR300 and AVP700 pre-amps. I think the former uses discrete devices whereas the later uses op-amps. Does anyone know if these are OPA2134s or TL072s.

I should probably go and borrow a unit from my local dealer and see if there's anything to get excited about.

Thanks in advance

2. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Sorry guys, I guess there's a parallel thread running.... I 'll admit I even replied to it...:oops:

3. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Ah but.. now I am confused.. The Norwegian importer has on his web site that the AVP700 uses a new processor chip, the Crystal 49400 DSP... But that's the same chip that was used in the AVR300 and it isn't new.. it's 4 years old. Is the Norwegian importer wrong? What chip is used in the AVP700? Anyone really know?

update.. looks like it is the same old chip.. the press release of June 2005 lists the DSP chip type. Or maybe I'm wrong about the AVR300....no just checked that too, same chip... oh well, nothing new there.

But the press release doesn't say anything about the op-amps.... Now I'm really wondering what's inside this box of magic. Or is the same as an AVR300 with the balanced outputs and hdmi switching ( which I don't need ) and without the power amps....

Perhaps I should stick witht he AVR300 after all...

Am I talking to myself:rolleyes:

4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I am considering a cheaper Parasound to complement my 350, not that thats any use to you though mate!

5. PenguinHiFi

PenguinHiFi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi CJohnson,

I haven't listened to an AVR350. But I now own an AVP700. All I can say is that it is really a great pre/pro. Really, the whole music seems to breathe all through the AVP700. Maybe it sometimes lacks a little of the real Hi-Fi refinement, but after all it's a Home-Cinema processor. And in it's league, it is probably one of, if not THE, best because it offers a really good sound even in the 2Ch mode, a matte where a lot of others are dragging behing.

Regards.

Penguin HiFi

6. cjohnson6

cjohnson6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54

Go for an A51 if you can... The only thing wrong with it is.... nothing... It's amazing. Turn up the volume, stay in the room and feel the music. I'll never have to scan the ads for a better amp... Just have to pick up a few JC1s if I need more channels.