1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 Surround Sound Issue

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by SF49erJohn, Jun 10, 2005.

1. SF49erJohn

SF49erJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My AVR300 was hooked up an running fine for a few weeks. I have mains and surround speakers and a center, no sub. When I went to listen to 5.1 cable program or DVD I do not get sound out of the Center speaker and the sound to the mains and SS speakers is low. In stereo I do hear the dialogue that I would normally hear from the center speaker. I have replaced the center speaker wire and swapped the center with the main and verified all of the speakers are ok.
    When I run the tone test from the Setup Menu no sound from the Center. The Main Menu 2 has the Stereo Direct set to off. I have powered off the AVR300 for 20 minutes, unplugged the AVR300 for 20 minutes, still no 5.1 SS. I am using a SPDIF cable from the cable box and a coax digital cable from the DVD player. It all worked for a few weeks then stopped. I have emailed the Audiophile group here in the States. In the meantime does anyone know of a reset function that will restore the AVR300 5.1 mode?

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I don't know if this will solve your problem but the reset procedure is below

On the AVR300 you do this in the engineering menu, RDSinfo + Preset tune together on the front panel takes you into this menu use ^V arrows to navigate to the restore option, make sure you leave the RC5 codes alone otherwise it will stop responding to the remote control, set restore to yes then exit using Ok on the exit option.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. SF49erJohn

SF49erJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy for the fast response, I will give this a try this evening when I get a chance. Any side effects of doing this? Do I need to go in and configure the settings in the Setup Menu again?

John

4. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    make sure you have ALL setttings written down (or take pictures of it).
    all your settings will turn to default, including your tuner stations !

5. SF49erJohn

SF49erJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the heads up Hi-Fi!

John

6. SF49erJohn

SF49erJohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried the reset instructions that Andy provided. Though I was able to reset the system the problem persisted. UGH!

I disconnected all of the cables and reconnected, still no sound out of the center when going through the tones test.

Swapped cables around, the center passed tone when connected as a main.

Put everything back and went through test process, still no sound.

This time I left the test tone on the center channel and went behind the AVR300 and touched the spade connected to the black terminal. I moved it enough to get tone.
    I twisted the connector tight and have not had any more issues. The neighbors hate me again !!!