1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

avr300-Subfoofer in stereo direct mode?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RumNYC, Jun 23, 2005.

1. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I was think of adding a subwoofer to my stereo setup (kick drums just don't sound the same without one). Does anyone know if the avr300 will output signals to the subwoofer in stereo direct mode? if so will it respect the lfe crossover frequency from the setting in stereo direct?

2. Designer

Designer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    In Stereo Direct mode you will not get any subwoofer output. The signal goes from the input, to the preamp, to the power amp, to the output. No digital conversions in the path (hence "direct").

Bass management (as what you are effectively wanting) is done by the DSP, which in Direct mode is shut down to reduce interference etc.

This has been covered in another thread and essentially requires you to set the subwoofer to fill in the bottom end that your main speakers can't go down to. You could do this at high-level (ie connect your speaker outputs to the subwoofer - if it is designed for this) or perhaps use the preamp left and right outputs from the AVR300 to the line inputs on the subwoofer.

Either way you will have to carefully set the cutoff point and level on the subwoofer to integrate with the response of your main speakers. If it is set too high in frequency, your main speakers and Sub will overlap in their ranges resulting in a 'lumpy' response. In short you're gonna have to tweak it by ear.

.....then of course you have the issue of what you then do for a DD5.1 (etc) signal. You don't want to be adding the LFE channel to the bass from the left and right channels. Best leave all that to the AVR300 bass manager and disable the above stereo + sub "direct" setup.

As I said, have a search around for this thread in the past.

Mark

3. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What if i connect the L and R pre-outs to the subwoofer AND in the avr300 setup set subwoofer = none? Then, i should get the subwoofer to fill in the low end. The only question is will the avr bass management then (in dsp dd modes) route the lfe signal to the L and R pre-outs as it doesn't know of the subwoofer's presence?