AVR300 sound quality issue or is it all in my head...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by radio, Apr 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hiya,

I have been member here a while before i purchased my avr couple of years ago... i have been reading various issues people have encountered and have been knockin on wood.

I have been expierenced an odd dilema and i was/am not certain if its just me or is there an issue with my unit and maybe i should send it out for repair as i think its still under warranty.

This is really odd.
    I listen to quite a lot of music through avr... nowadays listening to some indie and jazz. And i find sometimes i find the reciever to get quite harsh but if i go away and same day come back and turn the reciever back on seems like its warmer on the same songs.

e.g today i listened to some tracks during the day.. the temperature inside my room was quite warm though and just now night time its cooler and the reciever sounds quite warm on the same tracks.

I am running the reciever in 4 ohms mode and the fan runs a wee bit loud and havnt sent the unit out for repair on that account just yet.

I am wondering and if some expiereinced users can comment if this is just in my head or should i be sending it out to repair.

frankly the unit sounds great when its warmish.. a little dissapointing sounding when it sounds bright/harsh.

thanx

2. Chrisp7091

Chrisp7091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a geuss - does the amp need time to 'warm' up after its initially turned on?. My old Arcam Xeta 1 sounded better after about 20 mins.

3. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am thinking maybe it sounds worse after warmed up.

Since when it goes on the second time around there is a good few hours inbetween & it sounds good right after turning it on.

weird.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    The fan should not be running at all. The fan is designed to only ever come on in emergencies when the system reaches critical temperature.

The fact that your fan is on indicates that you most probably have a very early unit which was part of a batch that had faulty diodes which resulted in the fans coming on far too early or all the time. I would get your unit back to your dealer who will be able to arrange for Arcam to carry out a warranty repair on the unit as this is a known issue.

5. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Crustyloafer to the rescue!

I knew i had that issue but was taking it too casually as it was in warranty.

After reading your post i just dropped it off to my dealer and also mentioned about the odd sound issue so i am without the unit for a month or so and hopefully it will come back all cleared.

In the mean time i am wondering if i should grab one of hte FMJs for stereo music or the nad masters series.

6. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    UPDATE.

As my reciver is out for repair its very annoying and almost unbearable to listen to music or watch the tv with tv speakers.

I borrowed my freinds yamaha rxv-1600.

And let me tell you after listening to it for a few days now the sound quality is NOTICABLY different. Without stepping on toes of folks who own this yamaha unit... this is just my opinion and in comparison to the two pieces of equipment.

Keeping the speakers and everything else constant i have integrated the yamaha into my system and calibrated it with spl meter and everything and i found.

- bass runs TOO hot on all channels and sub, bass level is all the way to bottom. 80hz xover with all speakers set to sub/small.

- sound is flat sounding somewhat non existent sound stage, very uninvolving sound.
    - stereo seperation is alright.
    - clarity is where there is a huge difference... its almost muffled compared to avr300.
    - dts/dd processing is very bad ... avr does a GREAT job at recreating the dd/dts fields.

Ill possibly add more to my experience. Thought id input on a device compared to one of arcams.