1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300: Sound problems and runs hot and disconnect!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by cteixeira, Jun 9, 2005.

1. cteixeira

cteixeira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Arcam AVR300 (1 week). I wanted to use it for home cinema and music (stereo).
    Till now I had listening music with an Arcam Alpha 8 and Kef Q65 .
    When I started listen the AVR300 I was disappointed. The sound was muffled, without bass, not toned.(even with "direct").
    The seller said (by phone because a live far away) the unit must have running (burn-in) for a week and so the sound will be quite another matter.
    Well whenever I do it, after 3 hours or so ,the AVR300 disconnect, I think due to overheating (I don't hear fan working).
    The unit is placed on an open shelf and the impedance switch is correct.
    Did anyone have this kind of problems?
    I ask for help because I'm desperate and I love the traditional sound of Arcam. :lease:
    (sorry because my bad english)

2. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no way that an electronic component should sound the way you describe, even when considering "burn in". There is certainly a little temperature in the AVR300, but it should not be uncomfortably hot to the touch. If it is overheating without the fan turning on, you have a serious problem.

I would disconnect everything and reconnect it again. Especially if you use stripped, bare ends on the loudspeaker cables. A tiny stray wire here may cause a short circuit, and may cause bad sound and overheating.

Also, try to press the DVD and SAT buttons on the units simultaneously. This will show the software version your unit is using. Not that I think this matters, but if it is very old, your dealer should upgrade it as well when you return it to the dealer (assuming the reconnect everything trick doesn't work).

3. cteixeira

cteixeira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Roffe

All loudspeakers are banana plugs, and I confirmed that's all ok.
    The software version are: 300= 3.08; DSP=1.12. I don't know if are old or new. SN= AVR301150 04 17.
    I forgot to say that overheating happen with low levels (about 40 db).
    I will go soon with the unit to dealer (They are out for a week hollidays), but I
    am thankful for any help

4. roffe

roffe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is pretty new, as far as i know only one new software release has come after that one (the 3.16 version, and that seems to be a minor upgrade compared to the 3.08). Your DSP is the latest version.

Seems like you have a faulty unit. One experiment to verify that further is to disconnect everything except the power chord and check if it still behaves the same when turned on (if it does, something is wrong for sure).
    Oh, btw: Verify that the power switch close to the AC inlet is set to the correct voltage (WARNING: Setting this incorrectly may seriously damage the unit, so don't experiment with it. You need to know what you are doing here).
    Also try to experiment with the Ground lift switch, as this may cause a problem if you have a grounding problem in your house.

5. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried changing the 8/4 ohm switch? and please check the menu that the compression is set to OFF
    also set the PLII settings to none (don't know the exact setting but it's in the menu's somewhere)

The burn in period is something to take into account but NOT the way you descibed it. The sound you descibed is NOT normal. The burnin period is 'only' to open up the amp and not change the sound completely as you/the dealer is hoping for.

of, and have you tried different interlinks? could well be that 1 interlink is short circuiting the whole device

6. cteixeira

cteixeira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roffe:
    Like you said I disconnected all cables (loudspeakers and interconects). The unit was 15 hours today and did not disconnect.
    I used a surface termometer just on ventilation grooves (above the heatsinks). In this test the temperature reaches about 46ºC. Before, when in normal operation it was 48/49ºC (more or less when it desconnected). I think this isn't reasonable.
    The voltage is correct.
    Soon I'll go experiment with the Ground lift switch.

Hifi addict:
    I tried the 8/4 ohm switch without result.
    The compression is off (I didn't change) but the PLII settings I don't know where it can be change.
    I saw the interconnects with ohmmeter, they are ok.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    Do you have the amplifier single wired to the speakers? Are you using the biamlifying feature? If so have you taken the links out between the HF and LF terminals on the speakers?

8. cteixeira

cteixeira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I'm using biamplifying, but it's all the correct connections. Before I used speakers biwired with amp Alpha8.

9. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    cteixeira - when I upgraded from my Alpha 8 to AVR300 I had same problem as you, sound was muffled. I tried everything like checking connections, disconnecting and reconnecting all equipment, speakers etc. After 3 or 4 days when I disconnected and reconnected it all back up, it started to sound great - I don't think this was due to 'running-in' because this unit was the store model and had already been run in, and don't know what I did different this time to make it work. I know you've already checked all the settings but I suggest you double check again and disconnect everything and reconnect back.
    I also had the problem with the fan, except with my unit it would always be on. Basically in the end returned it and got a new replacement. One thing to note was it sound great out of the box and after the 'running-in', period sounded even better. It gets hot like all equipments bt not worryingly hot as you say yours does.

10. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wow yes after reading the whole thread... i would make sure cables are in properly etc etc (everyone else suggested).

I have my avr300 and its a day old (new, 3.16 and 1.12). And its been running for about 18 hours its running warmish but it hasnt turned off. Note i am not using biamping.

There is a menu item which lets u select if you want channel 6+7 for biamping... i am sure you have done that... but give that a shot... if not try resetting the unit. Andy D posted in one of the posts on how to reset the unit.

11. cteixeira

cteixeira
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, my unit has surely a serious problem. It was about 24 hours running without any connections. No speakers, no interconnects. With ground lift.
    Result: it desconnect like before, although to stand more time. When it disconnected the temperature was about 45/46ºC.

It must to go to dealer.

12. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    i have to say that my avr300 is running v2.78 and i have never had a problem with it. mind you, thats not to say it never will. Hope you all got them sorted soon.