1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 shut down on its own

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Remboy, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My AVR300 suddenly shut down today - went into "standby" with flashing red power LED. Although it had been running continuously for about 7 hours, it was only for Sky Sports so not working all channels hard and only at volume of 60-65db. The unit was warm to the touch but no more than usual and I was able to remove from standby and operate normally again but am just a bit concerned.

Have done a search and seen some discussions on ohm setting. Could this be linked? I have Monitor Audio Silver Series speakers which are rated 8 ohms for fronts and rears and 6 ohms for centre. I don't understand the technicalities of the ohm setting, but after seeing a comment from John Dawson saying set to 4 ohms unless ALL speakers are "true 8 ohm", I presume I have this set ok at 4 ohm.

Any other ideas? I know this has only happened once but don't want to find that the second time is when something gets "fried"!!

Thanks for any feedback.

2. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    It is possible that a glitch in the transmission from SKY caused a DC thump which the AVR300 would detect and turn itself of to protect you speakers from the DC. I don't think there is anything to worry about but if it keeps doing it contact our customer services department.

Regards,
    Andrew

3. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow!! Only 10 minutes to get a reply from Andy at Arcam at 11pm!! Arcam's superior service taken to extremes!

Thanks very much for the reply Andy, my mind is at rest.

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've had my AVR300 for about 3 months now and its done this about 4 times now but, as you say, it comes straight out of standby and carries on as normal.

It has happened though when watching Sky and when using the tuner.

John

5. jposner

jposner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I've had the same thing from my new AVR300 (1 month old) - has shut down twice in that time, my question is, if this is reasonably common, then it seems like the threshold in the firmware is a tad too sensitive ? could a software bug-fix sort this out ? Should we all contact customer support to register this problem ; indeed can it be fixed by software, or is it _really_ just doing it's job well ?

6. Diggin4fire

Diggin4fire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The same thing happened to me yesterday with my 3 month old AVR300. I did not panic because I had read your thread!
    I immediately suspected interference from other equipment, but I was only listening to CDs (for about 2 hrs).
    Uffe

7. Garak

Garak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It also happened to me! I noticed that unit gets quite hot even if it is in some mode and there is no signal! This is strange to me since my previous receiver (Onkyo) was turned on all the time (night and day) and if it was set to lets say SAT (I didn't have anything connected to it) the unit would be cold (like it was turned down). With AVR-300 this is not the case! Unit is warm even when it is not amplifying any signal and it gets cold only when it is in stand by!

8. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The unit is hot because it is quite heavly biased into class A operation to improve the sound quality. This means we have to run quite alot of current through the amplfier output stage. It will not be the heat that is causing the unit to shut down unless you have heard the fans come on and go to high speed first. It would be very very hot before this happens and almost certainly woudl mean you had blocked the cooling vents. The standby is there so you don't have to leave the the unit runing the amps.

As stated earlier in the thread it is almost certainly the amp detecting DC on the input that is making it shut down. It seems broadcast signals can do this and sometimes power glitches there are even a few CD's and DVD's that have DC recorded on them.

We cannot modifiy this behaviour in software as to be fast enough to protect the speakers and amplifer in a fault condition this has to be a hardware feature.

Regards,
    Andrew.

9. Garak

Garak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your reply! It is very helpfull! I will put my AVR-300 in stand-by every time it is not in use (when I'm at work)!

10. bl0498

bl0498

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We had some odd power problems at our house a few days ago (bulbs flickering etc so I think it was low voltage) and the first piece of kit that shut down was the AVR300. It was rather worrying at first - its only 2 months old. Once the power glitches went away - worked fine...

Great piece of kit!

Brian

11. mikeyc8

mikeyc8

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem with my AVP 700- shutting down by itself. I had it serviced by Arcam here in Toronto and the service bill said that they replaced "D113/4/5/6" whatever that means.

Now the strange thing is that my Rotel amp is now not working. Someone on AVSforum is speculating that it may be related to using the 12v trigger on the Arcam. I've also wondered the same thing because just before these problems started I was trying to get the Arcam to trigger the amp on. Have any of you guys encountered the same issue?

12. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using the 12V trigger of my AVP-700 to my Outlaws 755 with no issues so far, but I've only had my Arcam for couple of weeks.

So far, so good. I love it.

13. lpm

lpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Remboy,

My AVR300 has shut down twice in 4 months but both times on the same day when house lights have at the same time dimmed and flickered and there was clearly a supply glitch. It was a 38 deg C day so at first worried that it may have been temperature induced but the unit was not unduly hot and was in a well ventilated situation. Nothing over the last 3 months so very comfortable that is is probably something of a non issue in reality. I personally do not live in fear of the unit being fried.

Subsequently however, I tried the 4 ohm setting as suggested by Andy Dutton and the unit does run noticably cooler and for my nominally 8 ohm speakers (in reality closer to 6 ohm professionally measured), I am now convinced that it does sound both different and better.

14. NiallAikman

NiallAikman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got used to the AVR300 shutting itself down with mains noise - happens every so often, but tends to be when the thermostat on my heater and my fridge both click on or off at the same time.

May invest in a purifier for the mains supply, I think. Any reccomendations?

15. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    I use a 6 way block from Maplin's that claims to have surge supression as well as mains conditioning to remove RFI, and a shielded mains cable. All for the huge sum of £39.99, I think it may even be on offer at the moment reduced to £29. Certainly worth a try.

As to other issues, I have my Sky+ box connected to my AVP700 via the optical out rather than coax, and no analogue connection. I haven't had any issues this way. I might be wrong, but if DC over Sky can happen, I'd have thought it would be impossible to get a DC signal over optical that would cause the AVR/AVP to shut down. Might also be worth a try for those with problems.

16. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for my ignorance but what do you mean by "DC" in this context?

17. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    I'm going to show my ignorance by refering you to Andy Dutton's post... I can only assume he meant a flat signal through the phono outs. I'm also assuming perhaps wrongly that any problem in transmission with a satellite broadcast would result in the optical signal simply dropping rather than sending a flat signal, but I'm guessing, completely! :)

18. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    owned mine for well over a year and it happens about once a month on average, just another quirk of the unit, along with the coating on the remote falling apart after about 6 months, so get prepared for that one as well folks :)

otherwise it seems a reasonably robust unit [ as long as you didn't get an early one, my 1st one threw a wobbler on input selection and was replaced under warranty in 1st 2 weeks of useage. IIRC a few other forum members had similar issues last year, how big a percentage of overall units affected can only be verified by Arcam]

19. John Robert

John Robert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My AVP 700 shut itself off again last night (3rd night in a row) while I was using the internal tones to set speaker levels. Obviously not based on DC in the source material. Extremely annoying :mad:

John

20. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been considering a purchase of the AVP700 but I have to say that I'm getting a bit concerned by all these reports of random shut offs. I'm not sure but I assume that the 300 has basically the same guts as the 700 and on AVS there are a lot of reports about the same problem with the 700. I would really like to hear more from Arcam about this problem.

21. kishoo

kishoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Jack D

I have installed a lot of Arcam AVR300's and AVP 700's over the last year and have had only had a couple of problems in total.

It might appear that there are undue problems because happy users tend not post !!!!

As for randon shut off's the only time I have managed to get an AVR300 to shut off is when it was protecting itself from a serious dose of Leftfield at 110Db + for about 3 hrs solid....

Overall don't worry about your purchase and remember that there are a lot of very happy Arcam users out there.

Kishoo

22. Jack D

Jack D
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's good to hear and yes I know that what one sees on this forum is not necessarily an unbiased sample; in fact there is good reason to think that it is biased becuase, as you mention, the people who are not having problems don't generally go to the forums to report that they are not having problems. Still I'd like to hear what Arcam has to say. So far the response I've seen here does not seem to address the variety of circumstances in which the problem has appeared.
    BTW, in your installations are you also generally matching the 700 with the P1000 or other amps?

23. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Have you e-mailed Arcam direct to get a response? I'd suggest you do that to get a reply.

Remember, this is the Arcam owners forum, not the Arcam company forum :smashin: so you may be waiting a while for a response.

Thanks

Andy

24. Ian_S

Ian_S
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,021
    Count me in as a happy AVP700 owner who hasn't experienced any major problems yet! :thumbsup: (and yes I'm now touching wood and typing with crossed fingers :))

25. lpm

lpm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Let's not forget that shutting down to prevent problems is what it's designed to do. It was far less trouble for me to recycle things on my two occasions (definate power glitches) than return it damaged. So if it is a little sensitive, I can live with that, better safe than sorry.

However, Jack D has a point. If there was some simple statement in the handbook along the lines that Andy stated earlier, threads like this would not develop such momentum and negative connotations. Of course there may be other deeper issues in some machines so I hope John Robert doesn't have one of these. And if there are such issues, let's hear about them. However, it would be a huge pity if shutting down issues turned anyone away from the 300 (or 700) unnecessarily. I got my modified speakers (reworked internally but that's another story) back last night and the 300 drives them superbly. That should be the message getting out.

26. Exirion

Exirion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The weird thing is that my AVP700 was working great for several months too, until a few days ago. First I thought it might be caused by external influences but now it even shuts down without anything connected. Something must have broken down... :confused: It plays for at most 10 minutes before shutting down.

27. gballan@mac.com

gballan@mac.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apologies for bouncing this thread back to the top but I'm having THE most frustrating evening with my AVR250.

Last year, during summer the unit had a couple of days where it switched itself off - I took it back to the dealer who, of course, couldn't get it to do the same. I assumed at the time it was heat related (so did the shop) and have had no problems again up until today.

Now today is quite a cool day, so the problem is not heat related. But I've now had the unit switch itelf off 8 times (tuner and cd modes) after playing for between 4 and 15 minutes each time in the last hour.

Has anyone truly figured what the problem with the amplifiers switching themselves off? It seems remarkable that I can go 10 months trouble free and then get the problem again. Does anyone think a Mains purifyer will cure it?

Thanks.

Very frustrated. :(

28. wacko

wacko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my avr300 was shutting down periodically. installed a UPS and it seems to have corrected problem (old yamaha amp never pwered down, but that's progress). now video is going off. on sat it appears as black screen on TV. on dvd lines appear thru picture. only remedy is to power off amp and power on again. I only have composite out until i get new hd panel. any ideas

regards

wacko

29. gballan@mac.com

gballan@mac.com

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wacko,

Sorry for my ignorance. What's a UPS (apart from a parcel delivery service)? Any particular make of UPS I should look for? 250 still shutting down today every 10 mins or so.

Thanks.

30. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    A UPS is an uninteruppted power supply. It is a battery storage device that can supply mains power for a limited period if there is an intteruption in the mains supply. I think a good quality mains conditioner might solve your problems. Most good dealers would allow you to try one at home before purchasing.