1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 Settings for Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by vcarter, Sep 11, 2004.

1. vcarter

vcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm unable to get my subwoofer to receive a bass signal, and transmit a bass sound, after connecting the coaxial cable, and going through the settings menus. My speaker size setting is config 1 (sub-woofer present), and in my subwoofer setting menu my crossover is 80 Hz, and my stereo mode is sat+sub. I've got older software installed on the AVR300, ver 2.67. Would this possibly be a reason for no bass audio? Or is there another menu somewhere, in one of the modes, where the subwoofer must be set to "on"? I've tried CD, DVD (Avia disk), TV and Tuner--no bass. Many thanks, for any suggestions.

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Are you just not getting a test tone for Sub in the setup menu? Or are you really not getting the Sub to work at all?. The AVR300 software v2.84 added the correct test tone for sub (current version is 2.90). Prior versions (like 2.67) don't, but they still pass signals correctly to the sub for audio sources.

Try a DVD with lots of LFE (LOTR, Master and Commander, etc) to make sure you really aren't getting a sub signal. You should have the sub connected to the SUB preamp out RCA connector.

If you update your AVR software to the latest version it will correctly emit a test tone for the Sub.

Of course, make sure you also have the Sub plugged in and turned on. ;)

Dean

3. vcarter

vcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Dean.

I'm not getting any sub output when I use the Avia test disk in the DVD player. When I rotate sound through the 5.1 speakers I get no sound from the sub.

I've used the manual to set up the AVR300 general menus, and rechecked the audio menus. Everything there looks as I think it should.

Perhaps the next step would be to double check the sub by using double speaker wire, in lieu of my current coaxial cable. Do you know how I would wire this to the receiver's speaker output terminals? Or is it possible to wire a sub from the receiver with double speaker wire?

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The AVIA test tone should work correctly.

The correct way to connect your sub to the AVR is by using a standard audio interconnect. It plugs in to the Sub preamp out on the AVR300 (i.e. connection #31 on page E7 of the manual). Make sure that is correct. I do not believe you can (nor should) wire it to a speaker terminal.

So I would double-check everything (AVR and Sub controls and connections). Try a different interconnect cable if possible. You said you've set Sub to present in setup, so that part is correct. Also make sure the AVR is not set to stereo direct mode.

And if you have a null modem cable handy (note: it's not the same as a regular modem cable), visit Audiophile Systems website to download the v2.90 software update and install it (or have your dealer do it for you).

Can you verify the Sub works on a different AV receiver?

Dean

5. Jim_R

Jim_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another possibility...If you have your front speakers set to large, instead of small, there is only bass output to the sub with Dolby 5.1 program material, but not with other Dolby modes. You will receive bass output to your sub in other Dolby modes, if the front speakers are set to small.

6. vcarter

vcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, duh. Somehow, after all of this I missed the #31 connection, and was connected to the sub "in", not "out". Double duh. Everything works great now. Isn't life grand when everything is working? Thanks again, Dean.

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been there too. :rolleyes:

Glad you got it sorted out.

Dean

8. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe reminds me of just this saturday, eventially got round to tieding all my wires up and then the sub stopped working, couldnt for the life of me work out why - then 2 hour slater after getting rather annoyed realised id plugged it in sub in :)

Spike