1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVR300 - RGB switching / AV connections

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by juha, Mar 29, 2005.

1. juha

juha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Any help would be appreciated with this connectivity question I have been thinking. I have been trying to figure out the necessary cables in order to achieve the following setup and to be able to do the AV source switching through AVR300:

Terrestial set-top box RGB -> AVR300
    Satellite set-top box RGB -> AVR300
    DVD RGB -> AVR300

AVR300 RGB -> TV

Through some internet search I have established few options:
    1) QED SQART AV19 for input and QED SQART AV29 for output
    2) Supra SCART Combine SCART RGB -> 4 RCA for input and Supra SCART Combine 4 RCA -> SCART RGB for output

Both of these cable choices will relay RGB signal in three RCA sockets and Sync on Composite on fourth one (additionally QED has stereo sound in the two remaining RCA sockets which I won't be needing).

Basically my question is that are both of these cables ok for the task or is there need to relay also some sort of trigger signal for the TV from the original source or can AVR300 trigger output somehow handle that? If the trigger (RGB) output of AVR300 needs to be involved is there any ready cable available to support that?

Additionally an easy question for fellow AVR300 owners - I guess the remote should be backlit based on the looks of the buttons? Mine works otherwise fine, but doesn't lit up at all and has been like that since taken from the wrapping.

Thanks,

juha

2. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't believe in these fancy cables but the problem here is getting sync.
    Now I heard you can use the composite output of the source as sync so maybe you can experiment.
    However, my old satbox RGB scart wouldn't work, my new one does but it has component (yuv) out.
    Don't try these expensive RGB-to-YUV contraptions, not worth the money IMO.

3. matthew_hallson

matthew_hallson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

You can use any SCART to 6 RCA type cables (RGBS+LR)for the inputs to the amplifier, for the amplifier to TV connection you need a special cable that includes widescreen and RGB mode switching. This is a special cable but it is available from QED.

For your reference the QED part number format for this cable is:

F-AV820-SVIDEO (for a 2 meter s-video version)
    F-AV850-RGB (for a 5 meter RGB version)

It is intended for the AV8 product but works just as well on the AVR300.

Regards,
    Matt

4. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
  5. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Ignore me, the first post does give an example, the QED SQART AV19

Cheers

Andy

6. juha

juha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your answer Matt this at least confirms that somebody has experimented with similar setup I had in mind. I guess that what you refer as to mode switching signal is the same as what I mean with trigger signal.

Do you have a link or some more information regarding this QED cable (F-AV850-RGB) - couldn't find anything with Google nor from QED web-site?

BR,

juha

7. matthew_hallson

matthew_hallson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

There is nothing about this cable or part number on any QED related web site. Its basically a custom cable, that QED have the spec for already and can make on request.

The RGB and widescreen signalling/switching is supplied via an extra 3.5 mini-stereo connector (eg ipod headphones) that plugs into the AVR300. This sends an RGB/Composite signal and a normal/widescreen signal to the TV SCART connector. Be aware also that the direction of audio in the cable is reversed - i.e. the audio is sent from the TV back to the processor, which may or may not be useful to you depending on your setup.

The specification for the cable is very well documented in the AVR300 owner's manual which is available here, the cable spec is on page E-34.

http://www.arcam.co.uk/downloads/DiVA AVR300 handbook.pdf

I had no end of trouble getting this cable, the manual says "consult your dealer" but they were basically clueless, eventually got the details through Andy Dutton (Arcam cool dude) and calling up the QED engineering manager (see my previous posts for details). I have a preference for QED cables so that was handy. I also had an offer from Chord cables to manufacture one for me (I sent them the spec from the manual) but it is not a particularly cheap option at £250 or thereabouts. If you like chord, it nice to know it can be done.

I suggest you call QED directly and ask them. Remember that they know it as an AV8 cable (not AVR300) but it is functionally the same.

If you are not worried about expensive cables and are handy with a soldering iron it should not be too much trouble to butcher a 6RCA-Scart connector and add the additional 3.5 signalling connector.

My only complaint about the QED cables when using them on the AVR300 is that the tails at the RCA end are not really long enough... you can manage but because the audio & composite video terminals are on the LH side of the amp, and the RGB video terminals are all the way on the right, it is quite a stretch. I actually stripped back some of the QED heatshrink and cable jacket and then taped it with electrical tape to get some extra length. I needed this particularly because I have a "three-legged" hifi rack which made it worse in terms of room and access, but in a perfect world the tails would be about 40 CM long or more. This goes for all the AV cables that go into the AVR300, (i.e. SAT, DVD etc, not just the one from the amp to the TV).

Hope this helps! :hiya:

Matt

8. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

With this arrangement, does the widescreen signal sent from the AVR300 change automatically as the source format changes, or does it have to be manually selected on the AVR300?

Before I buy new cables, I want to make sure that I would still have auto-widescreen switching when watching Sky via AVR300. i.e. the same as I do using a direct scart connection between Sky and TV.

Many thanks

9. matthew_hallson

matthew_hallson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have my (widescreen) TV locked on to 16:9 mode all the time so in fact the aspect signal sent from my amp is ignored by the TV. I know this is a bit crap but I am used to it by now and it makes the wife feel thin, so what the hell!! :)

So I cant say definitively, sorry. However I dont recall ever seeing any menu options to affect this signal line, and there is nothing like it in the manual (the closest you have is on P12, where the video type is set), so I tend to assume that the amp performs some kind of signal interrogation (black bar detect or whatever), followed by the setting of the signal line appropriately.

You should check this out yourself, or perhaps someone from Arcam can confirm?

Regards,
    Matt

10. juha

juha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the very useful info Matt!

Why I initially wanted to purchase ready made cable is because I'm not exactly an electrician:) Based on this information I could just get 3 * standard QED SCART AV19s for inputs and then tailored cable for output. I think I'll give QED a call and check how easy it is to get this specific output cable with trigger signal via 3,5mm mini-plug and also check if they would have similar cable than AV19, but without audio (since I'm not using tv speakers anyway).

BR,

juha

11. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juha,

Please let us know how you get on, If widescreen switching works I will need exactly the same cables as you.

I tried a scart to component converter box from Keene Electronics to connect my Freeview box , but it stops the TV switching 4:3, 16:9 automaticaly.

cheers

12. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply Matt. And GarethL for extra info re: freeview box.

Thinking about it, I don't see how auto-switching can be preserved. The signal from the source component that sets wide/normal via scart is not passed into the AVR300.

I believe pin-8 of the scart output carries the wide/normal switch signal. 12V for normal, 6V for wide. This is equivalent to "trigger" output from AVR300. But with only RGB and compnent sync inputs to the AVR300, the source generated trigger info is lost.

On page E23 of AVR300 manual (Main Menu Screen 1) under the heading "Video Type", it says that for displays being fed by scart, you can manually set the screen aspect to either 4:3 or 16:9 depending on which format you are feeding into your TV.

So unless the trigger signal from the source can be passed to TV, rather than the trigger from AVR300, I don't think it'll switch automatically :( .

Any thoughts?

13. juha

juha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe you have got it right - so only way to use the trigger signal from the source (e.g. freeview box) would be to connect the associated pin / wire from the input cable directly (i.e. bypass the AVR300) to the associated pin / wire of the output cable. I have also thought about that, but deemed it unnecessary since I have set 16:9 as output type for my source components and my tv can handle the rest.

BR,

juha

14. parrydave

parrydave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juha,
    I think so.

Although perhaps this solution doesn't have to be as messy as it sounds.

If for instance we use 2 x QED custom scart leads, i.e. both with RGB/S and 3.5mm jack for trigger, the video signals could pass through the AVR300, but the trigger connectors could just be connected together, i.e. by-pass the amp.

This would only work for a single source, as multiple source switching would ideally require the triggers to switch too!

I feel some DIY cable mods coming on.
    No way am I paying for 2 QED custom Sqarts just to overlay the amp menu on my video signal!

I currently have a 5m QED sqart-sqart (fully wired). As the AVR300 doesn't have a scart socket, this cable won't get used in any solutions. So I am considering cutting in two, re-terminating the cut ends with phono plugs etc and using one from source to AVR300, and the longer part out to TV. The trigger carrier would have a phono plug on one lead and a phono socket on other. Just plug them together rather than go through amp! :thumbsup:

Apart from some decent phonos, silver solder and some time, this is a cheap(relatively!) alternative. But maybe I'll try it out with cheap scarts first, before butchering my QED cable.

15. matthew_hallson

matthew_hallson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ill have a look at this tonight and see if there is any auto-switching going on, and post the results...

Regards,
    Matt

16. bl0498

bl0498

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

Just wanted to comment that I have the AV19 cables linking my sky+ and DV88 to my AVR300 and the special QED cable to link into the SCART on my Philips 32PF9986 LCD - the DVI/component input on this TV only takes progressive.

I have my SKy+ box set at 16:9 and leave the TV on auto and it sll seems to work really well - but not sure it actually autoswitches - the AVR300 menu for quick adjustment always shows 16:9 which I guess is being dictated by the Sky+ box.

I too was quoted a huge amount for the Chord equivalent for the speical cable - double what I was actually charged by QED - dealt direct with them.

Brian

17. juha

juha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just wanted to update that I have managed to track down the QED custom cable and placed an order so hopefully I can get this setup finished in few weeks and report results! Price was £79 for a 2m version so not too bad.

juha

18. juha

juha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm that the cables are working fine and also the screen mode information is relayed to TV.

BR,

juha

19. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Juha,

I am delighted to hear all works well, I will now be going down this route myself. I phoned QED, they told me I had to go through a dealer to get a cable - did you have to go through a dealer to get yours ?

The other question is, does your cable finish in a Scart cable for the TV ?

cheers

Gareth

20. bl0498

bl0498

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gareth,

My QED special cable (pin outs as per AVR300 manual) does indeed finish in a SCART plug for the TV.

When I contacted QED they mentioned I would normally have to go through a distributor - but persuaded them to sell direct.

Brian

21. Easybourne

Easybourne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry to jump in, but can I just chack that auto widescreen switching works correctly from both Sky digital and DVD?

I am thinking of upgrading my amp and like the look of the Arcam especially given that it can switch RGB signals.

Also, am I right in saying that I need an AV19 cable for each source that I connect to the amp and then a custom cable for connecting amp to TV?

I can sort of see how the amp controls the widescreen switching for the TV. But I can't see where the amp gets the information from. Does the AV19 cable have pin 8 wired? If so where to?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Darren

22. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QED refuse to deal direct :mad: , I have tried twice. I will probably have to pay extra markup to get some confused dealer to order the wrong thing. Anyone know any custom cable makers I can use instead - the QED one does not seem quite perfect in the length dept. - the Chord is way expensive - my soldering is woeful :thumbsdow .

23. GarethL

GarethL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got Sevenoaks in Glasgow to quote for a 1 metre version of the F-AV850-RGB from QED. They wanted £125, yet juha got a 2m for £75. No way am I paying £125, anyone got any ideas ?

24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    Gareth L

The cable required is pretty straightforward and available from a fair few suppliers we deal with.

VanDamme Red Series is possibly the best value for money and can be made at whatever length suits you best.

Regards

Joe

25. Easybourne

Easybourne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Does anyone know if SKY Digital widescreen switching is supported when connecting RGB via the Arcam?

Would be grateful for reply as I am seriously considering the AVR 250 or 300, but would like to make to most of the RGB connectivity.

Thanks

Darren

26. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Didn't want to start a new thread as this one sounds close enough, just moved house and will be setting up the AVR300 soon.

Intend on component betwen amp and plasma (5m from Mark Grant) and switch Sky + and DVD through amp.

Component for DVD, but not sure about Sky + after reading the above, was going to use s-video from Sky to amp and up-convert to component, but should i be using some scart to RCA cable for best pic quality.

Not bothered about auto switching as i've lived without it before using a RGB to VGA converter for Sky.

Cheers, Tam

27. matthew_hallson

matthew_hallson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The AVR300 wont convert from RGBS to component. So once you choose your output format the "high quality" inputs must all be the same.

S-Video will work, but if I were you I would keep everything RGBS!

28. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't have a scart board on my plasma and don't want one.....................................so sounds like s-video is the answer if i only want the component cable to the plasma.

Cheers, tam

29. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,470
    tamthetim

Or install a JS Technology RGB2YUV converter between the RGB SCART Output of the Digibox and the YUV Input of the AV Receiver.

Best regards

Joe

30. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Joe

Will try it with the s-video and see if i can live with it........................if not i'll buy the converter.

Cheers, Tam